Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Gull Force 10 In 17 Sti

Andydee

Hey Team,

New to the forum, I have been trying to find reliable info on if it's safe to run Gull Force 10 in my NZ new 2017 Sti. Is someone able to confirm for me if I am fine or if I should be making the journey to BP?

Thanks.

28 minutes ago, StrokedEJ said:

My opinion. Force 10z the best an you can get around north island at any gull

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'm assuming it runs fine my concern is around it breaking down the fuel lines etc, my confusions comes from the link here https://www.aa.co.nz/cars/owning-a-car/fuel-prices-and-types/biofuel-and-environmentally-friendly-cars/ it says impreza sti 1997 onwards, can I assume that as the Sti is now a WRX Sti and not an Impreza this is different?

• Admin

EDIT: I am dumb. This is what Subaru NZ said about it roughly 18 months ago:

Ethanol suitability for Subarus

Most Subarus purchased new in New Zealand since 1990 are capable of running on the ethanol blended fuel now being introduced to the local market.

However any Japanese domestic specification models which have been imported here second hand (i.e.). second hand Japanese imports - should not be run on the ethanol blended fuel.

These cars are only suitable for 3 percent blended fuels. The fuel being sold in New Zealand has a 10 percent ethanol blend.

The 10 percent ethanol blended fuel could cause damage to the fuel line, fuel injector sealing, fuel pump or fuel regulator of these second hand Japanese imports. The fumes from the blended fuel after combustion can also have a harmful effect on the catalytic converter, the exhaust gas regulator and the muffler.

Those Subarus which can use the 10 percent ethanol blended fuel have a 17 digit VIN number beginning with either JF1 or JF2. The VIN number can be found at the bottom of the central door pillar on the passenger’s side of the car or in the engine bay.

The second hand Japanese imports which should not use the ethanol blended fuel have VIN numbers starting with 7A8.

A small number of models sold new in New Zealand cannot use the 10 percent blended fuel. They are.-

Legacy RS, Legacy GT, Legacy GTB, Legacy RSK and Legacy Blitzen from 1990 onwards; the Impreza STI from 1997 onwards and the Forester STI. They do not have JF1 or JF2 VIN numbers.

Owners who are not sure if they can use the ethanol-blended fuel in their car should consult their nearest Subaru Authorised Dealer.

In Summary

DO NOT USE Ethanol Blended Fuel - E5 or E10 if your car is:

• A Subaru with VIN Number that starts with 7A8, or
  • Second hand Japanese imported Subaru, or
  • A New Zealand New Subaru that is any of these models:

• Legacy RS, Legacy GT, Legacy GTB, Legacy RSK and Legacy Blitzen

• Impreza STI

• Forester STI

Tha

4 minutes ago, boon said:

EDIT: I am dumb. This is what Subaru NZ said about it roughly 18 months ago:

Ethanol suitability for Subarus

Most Subarus purchased new in New Zealand since 1990 are capable of running on the ethanol blended fuel now being introduced to the local market.

However any Japanese domestic specification models which have been imported here second hand (i.e.). second hand Japanese imports - should not be run on the ethanol blended fuel.

These cars are only suitable for 3 percent blended fuels. The fuel being sold in New Zealand has a 10 percent ethanol blend.

The 10 percent ethanol blended fuel could cause damage to the fuel line, fuel injector sealing, fuel pump or fuel regulator of these second hand Japanese imports. The fumes from the blended fuel after combustion can also have a harmful effect on the catalytic converter, the exhaust gas regulator and the muffler.

Those Subarus which can use the 10 percent ethanol blended fuel have a 17 digit VIN number beginning with either JF1 or JF2. The VIN number can be found at the bottom of the central door pillar on the passenger’s side of the car or in the engine bay.

The second hand Japanese imports which should not use the ethanol blended fuel have VIN numbers starting with 7A8.

A small number of models sold new in New Zealand cannot use the 10 percent blended fuel. They are.-

Legacy RS, Legacy GT, Legacy GTB, Legacy RSK and Legacy Blitzen from 1990 onwards; the Impreza STI from 1997 onwards and the Forester STI. They do not have JF1 or JF2 VIN numbers.

Owners who are not sure if they can use the ethanol-blended fuel in their car should consult their nearest Subaru Authorised Dealer.

In Summary

DO NOT USE Ethanol Blended Fuel - E5 or E10 if your car is:

• A Subaru with VIN Number that starts with 7A8, or
  • Second hand Japanese imported Subaru, or
  • A New Zealand New Subaru that is any of these models:

• Legacy RS, Legacy GT, Legacy GTB, Legacy RSK and Legacy Blitzen

• Impreza STI

• Forester STI

Thanks Boon, as the Sti is no longer an impreza but a WRX Sti does this make it different?

• Admin

The running gear is fundamentally identical to a Impreza STI so I'm going to say the above still applies.

It might be worth contacting Subaru NZ then coming back to let us all know what they have to say nowadays though :)

38 minutes ago, boon said:

The running gear is fundamentally identical to a Impreza STI so I'm going to say the above still applies.

It might be worth contacting Subaru NZ then coming back to let us all know what they have to say nowadays though :)

Subaru NZ has said there are no issues, however, they also said it should state so in the owners manual and I haven't been able to find anything for or against.

Ask a reputable tuner as well like maybe @PBMS or @Tony from Dtech, they might be able to help. If you aren't tuned for gull force 10, i would personally run BP98. If you were going to get it tuned, then definitely on gull force 10, you'll get a tad more power with added knock resistance.

You definitely won't be as economic on force 10 vs BP98 on factory tune. Not even sure if factory tunes account for 10% ethanol, so i'd argue you won't be performing optimally ether. I'm no expert though.

So what if you change everything (fuel pump, fpr, injectors, fuel lines to injectors to Ethanol compatible) except the main fuel line from the fuel pump from the back? Because that is the case for my JDM 2004 Legacy GT and my vin number starts with 7AT. The only reason I am considering running gull force 10 is due to my tuner.

The tuner had this to say "The Gull force 10 fuel should be Ok for 28 psi, the BP98 isn’t really good enough for much more than 25 psi, we find that the increase in boost on that fuel requires a richer mixture and less ignition timing, and often there is no increase in power with the higher boost pressure".

So I am hoping to stick to gull force 10. Any thoughts?

22 minutes ago, Niran said:

If you are getting the car tuned, then 100% gull force 10.

Factory tune - BP98

Don't think the lines etc get affected much, unless you don't drive the car for like a year. 

Spoke with PBMS they said it’s fine to run Gull Force 10. Be interested to see the difference in economy as I can pick up Gull for $2.07 while BP is $2.32 which is quite a significant difference.

1 hour ago, Andydee said:

Spoke with PBMS they said it’s fine to run Gull Force 10. Be interested to see the difference in economy as I can pick up Gull for $2.07 while BP is $2.32 which is quite a significant difference.

That's natural for BP though.

I've found Mobil 98 to be the best 98 in my opinion. Haven't used Gull Force 10, due to the Ethanol and the tune. But once I do my engine build and tune, I'll probably run it on GF10 most of the time. Also be able to put Gull Force Pro in it ;) 

• General Member

I ran Gull 98 almost exclusively for a number of years and never had any issues. That was back when I brought the car and I have had it almost 10 years now. The chat about fuel lines etc was mainly better safe than sorry warranty backside covering by Subaru (and most car companys) I think.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Have ran my 95 gf8 JDM import mainly on gull 98 and its been fine and I've done almost 30,000km. If you run fuel injector cleaner every now and then just as preventative maintenance then should be allgood. Gull said it's allgood and Subaru said it's allgood. :)