Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Bucket Seat Recommendations

Niran

Hey guys.

At my last track day, I was flying all around my factory seat in my GVB 2011 STI Sedan. Cornering was hard, trying to stop myself from sliding away plus focusing on driving lol.

Have you guys got a any recommendations for a good bucket seat? I know nothing in this area yet. Good / bad brands etc.

Not after a hardcore racecar life seat. After one that is still comfortable and adjustable, but still keeps you nicely locked in on a track day. If such even exists?

Racetech dude, fixed back seats but no reason why you cant leave the seat on a mount and swap it for track weekends. I would never look back after getting one its comfy to drive to and from the track, FIA approved so you know its safe plus it supports local business :D 

• Like 2

road recaros like grb and cs etc are ok for road use but on track they don't hold you well.

go for a fixed back seat like the above racetechs or sabelt, sparco etc.

new if you can afford it.

buying used can bring big savings but can also be like buying a used helmet.

caveat emptor.

• Like 2

Cheers guys! Definitely more inclined to get a fixed back one. How do the rails work? Do you need to find a subaru specific one that works for each brand? Or will any of those sparco / racetech seats fit into my current rails? 

It's going to be hard, if not impossible to use the 3 point belt with a proper race seat... possibly not allowed in schedule A.

I do not think schedule A allows the use a 5/6 point harness without a harness bar any more either.

• Like 1

• Admin
44 minutes ago, Niran said:

Cheers guys! Definitely more inclined to get a fixed back one. How do the rails work? Do you need to find a subaru specific one that works for each brand? Or will any of those sparco / racetech seats fit into my current rails? 

Buy seat

Decide if mounting to 1) bottom exclusively or 2) bottom and side of seat

Buy chassis specific rails if either 1) or 2)

Buy side plates if 2)

Something like this

1 hour ago, RaKid said:

Buy seat

Decide if mounting to 1) bottom exclusively or 2) bottom and side of seat

Buy chassis specific rails if either 1) or 2)

Buy side plates if 2)

Something like this

Or cut chassis rail mounts out and weld in new mounts that match the new seat brackets directly... no rails to worry about. 

I got the side mounts from Racetech with my seats and then got some rails from Scarles they seem fine and are able to pass cert so do not feel that they are 'unsafe' it does add up to be a bit but highly worth it in my opinion. if you were going to leave the fixed back seat in I would recommend hard mounting it for less movement though which I am doing now.

Yeah factory seats are great running harnesses.

but only if you have a HANS device. Which you should have anyway and at $600 are so much cheaper than they used to be.

otherwise there is nothing to stop the shoulder straps closing around your neck as the stock seat has no middle divider.

Harness bolts are the international imperial thread all seatbelt use so replace the rear seat belt bolts. They come with many belts for free.

you need to buy a longer bolt to replace the front belt in the bottom of the b pillar.

isofix is a tiny metal rod for baby seats.

If you want a seat spend the extra on the newer racetech. They are better curved at the back and way better for comfort.

Edited by Gripless

• Admin

Racetech RTROAD if you plan to leave it in all the time. Probably still work with a 3-point belt due to reduced wing height.

RT4009 if you're going to remove it when you're not tracking it.

For the money you can't go past a Racetech. Don't bother with the japanese stuff like Brides, they are made for pencil-width people. And skip any off-brand stuff, NZKW etc are probably not heinous but you get a lot more pedigree for a few hundred $ by going to a Racetech.

• Like 2

Also the airbag in the seat makes daily use a pain to get cret as you have to get OEM tested rails.

ive got recaro ones signed off in the past so it can be done.

@Niran I'll try to remember to bring my belts to the dyno day and you can have a try

Edited by Gripless
  • Like 1

https://www.racetech.co.nz/shop/seats/national/RT4119W-WT-seat

cost more but that new design is so much more comfortable.

plus if you have to add hundreds for the cert agian the seats are all expensive.

Or daily the lower sides are so much better to get in and out of when in car parks and you can't fully open the door.

https://www.racetech.co.nz/shop/seats/club/RT4000WX-motorsport-seat

• Like 1