Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Subaru Exiga caught fire today..... :'(

produkt-nz

Hi Team,

Posting here as the Exiga is based on the Legacy platform so it's the closest match.

Today my partner drive with bubs to get her flu jab - she said the car was 'making a funny noise' - thanks for that hun - I instantly thought big end's ..... Turns out there was a small fire in the engine bay, standing in front of the radiator, right-hand front side as per photo's below.

Can anyone knowledgable tell me what the component is and why it might've done this?

Part close up

59380269_10216413237860825_2687047272566

General overview
 59267374_10216413238220834_4836251179522

Noise video (forgive dirty suby - storm yesterday in chch)

While engine running, dashboard chowing check engine light and flashing Sports on the Si-Drive icons

58775422_10216413616270285_8718956315809

Edited by produkt-nz
Additional information
  • Sad 1

Isn't that the emissions air pump thingy which works at start up to make the exhaust cleaner? (or something like that)

Have you checked to see if there are any recalls on your model? Would be worth a look i reckon.

1 hour ago, Jono24 said:

Interesting that relay is the same as the one for the aircon clutch which seems to fail a lot too. 

From the sounds of it, it’s just the pump running from the relay fault and not the valves sticking so all the bad parts are up front and easy to get too. 

• Admin

Might be worthwhile contacting Subaru NZ with your registration (number plate) and VIN number and ask them to check if they are carrying out recall action on behalf of Subaru Japan.
That way you can take it in to a dealership to be repaired/replaced at no cost to you.

I've emailed them before to check if my car had any outstanding recalls. They are a bit slow to respond, but they do get back to you.

Either fill out the contact form on their website or call 0800 SUBARU (0800 782 278)

• Like 1

• Admin

Try Subaru direct as a first option.

Being that it is probably just the relay and pump you should be able to find a used one cheaply from someone who has deleted it. I kept all my air pump stuff for a few years in case anyone needed anything but chucked it all last year sadly.

Deleting it is cheaper than fixing but is a pig of a job so wouldn't want to be paying a mechanic labour to be doing it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...