Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Gen 4 Legacy Spec B Suspension Question

ambach

Hi all,

I have a 07 JDM Spec B Auto Legacy and have a couple of questions about the stock suspension. From what I can see it has the Bilstein yellow struts and black springs. I don't think it has been lowered with cut or compressed springs (I am the first NZ owner). It came over from Japan with some hideous chrome (now for sale if anyone is interested) 18" wheels with 214/45r18 dunlop tyres. I recently got some new black 18x8 Advanti Dst Static Satin Black with 225/40r18 bridgey RE003 tyres.

https://www.hyperdrive.co.nz/product/5708/advanti-dst-static-satin-black

Today I had a full car of passengers for the first time since getting the new wheels and the rear tyres were scraping on the guards when cornering and going over the smallest of pot holes. Should the tyres be scraping at stock height on the stock suspension with the new wheels / tyres? If it was lowered then sure but I was surprised that it could scrape with stock suspension and stock height? Could my rear shocks be toast? The suspension is very hard and while I appreciate hard suspension for spirited open road driving it is not pleasant driving around AKL to and from work etc.

What are the recommended options for replacing the stock suspension? BC Golds and a cert? Can the stock struts be rebuilt? Are the pink STI springs worth while?

I travel down to the mountain a lot and not really interested in getting stuck in the carpark with a lowered car.

Cheers,

Alain

• Admin

The rear shocks on these quite commonly lose some of their gas and sag a bit. Firmer springs will help somewhat as they won't compress as much with a full crew in the back. 

It's a fairly aggressive set up you've got so I'm not surprised it rubs. It pokes out about 5mm further than mine and even on STI pinks I needed camber bushes to get enough clearance to not rub on the inner edge of the guard. Most people go for a 215 with that width and offset to give a small amount of stretch on the tyre to give extra space before anything touches.

Your best option is to either get the rear guards rolled or get camber arms/bushes then decide whether the shocks are toast or springs are just too soft for that much weight.

How even does the car sit front to back with no one in it?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

The rear shocks on these quite commonly lose some of their gas and sag a bit. Firmer springs will help somewhat as they won't compress as much with a full crew in the back. 

It's a fairly aggressive set up you've got so I'm not surprised it rubs. It pokes out about 5mm further than mine and even on STI pinks I needed camber bushes to get enough clearance to not rub on the inner edge of the guard. Most people go for a 215 with that width and offset to give a small amount of stretch on the tyre to give extra space before anything touches.

Your best option is to either get the rear guards rolled or get camber arms/bushes then decide whether the shocks are toast or springs are just too soft for that much weight.

How even does the car sit front to back with no one in it?

Thanks for your reply @Andy_Mac

Just took these photos in the car park at work.

67099006_10157497366491098_3616173149663

66649353_10157497366486098_5045381834473

Just took the wagon to see my local mechanic that has done some work on my previous vehicles and he said it is time for some new shocks...

Pushing down on the boot we were able to hit the rear tyres!

He is going to contact the shock shop and get their advice on a replacement but was talking about Monroe making a good replacement for the legacy wagons?

Should I be going that way or get replacement bilsteins? Or get the existing shocks regased?

I like performance suspension but also would like a bit more comfort then I have had since picking up this wagon in November. I am coming from a Audi A4 Sport line which handled awesome on the open road but was comfortable around town as well.

Cheers,

Alain

• Like 1

My prediction:
New shocks in
Still rub

+35 offset is your main issue, as [mention=16582]Andy_Mac[/mention] said you will need to remedy that by guard rolling and/or camber mods. 

Couldn’t also be the springs giving up? I don’t know if his ride it bouncy, but that could be my diagnosis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up picking up a new set of Bilstein struts from Autolign on the weekend. I am also thinking about replacing the springs at the same time.

What spring sets do you guys recommend?

Part #s for the shocks I picked up :

Front Left : 35-118305

Front Right : 35-118312

Rear Left & Right : 24-118323

Based on what has been said above I will just have to get a guard roll to fix the scraping problem?

Cheers.

23 hours ago, ambach said:

Based on what has been said above I will just have to get a guard roll to fix the scraping problem?

As previously mentioned, the wheel offset is reasonably low and is what's causing the rub on the inside of your outer rear quarters.

It's the best place to start, failing that there are some other options but would be good to avoid if possible as it sounds like you just want to remedy the issue and are not intentionally modifying.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep your wheels are too aggressive offset.  +45 is about the lowest you can go with a 225/40/18 on the rear without catching the back of the guard.  Guard rolling may help a little, but from memory it's the screw bit at the back/top of the guard where the bumper is attached that catches and you can't roll that bit.  You may be able to cut or "adjust" to fit.

I had +42 and it rubbed with 225/40/18.

Changing the shock won't solve the issue, only a skinnier tyre or higher offset wheels.  You could go to a 215/40/18 all round, as 215/45/18 might still rub.

Edited by GorGasmSpecB