1. 1. Turbo options 280-320wkw

• EFR7163 IWG
    • G Series G25-660 IWG
    • Gen 2 GTX3076R EWG
    • EFR7670 IWG

• Admin
48 minutes ago, RaKid said:

Why not an EFR6758?

Bit on the small side. Might get to 300 but might not depending on the budget in other areas it seems. That's what you have in you're one correct? Just with IndyCar housings or whatever it is 

24 minutes ago, Gripless said:

Internal gate, twin scroll. 

The only problem with internal gate on the efr is it makes the whole turbo bloody long. As it is on the legacy there isn't much room compared to the stis etc.

• Admin
2 minutes ago, sleepr said:

The only problem with internal gate on the efr is it makes the whole turbo bloody long. As it is on the legacy there isn't much room compared to the stis etc.

Good to know. I'd been assuming there would be a similar space to the GR/GV gen STI’s back there. 

The length was why I was considering the 660 as it looks to have similar flow but considerably shorter than the TS internal gate EFR’s 

34 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Good to know. I'd been assuming there would be a similar space to the GR/GV gen STI’s back there. 

The length was why I was considering the 660 as it looks to have similar flow but considerably shorter than the TS internal gate EFR’s 

Nah man there isn't aye. Challenging to fit turbo and the down pipe.

39 minutes ago, Gripless said:

Front mount turbo.  

Cant we do the USA thing and move the abs to make room?

I have often thought about this. The easiest model for this would be a gc8 RA as they dont have ABS. It would give great potential to have a huge Snail with plenty of room and remain efficient with pipework.

• Admin

What size is your motor? Still 2.0?

I'd seriously consider an IndyCar 6758 if you can find one. May well give you the largest area under the curve due to insane spool characteristics. Use a big gate so you can let the engine breath a bit easier up top.

Otherwise, EFR7163 twinscroll IWG if the packaging works. Buy @McMasterJamie's one.

• Like 1

• Admin
50 minutes ago, Gripless said:

Front mount turbo.  

Cant we do the USA thing and move the abs to make room?

Low mount is the real bees knees. 

Probably could move it. Not sure if it will gain much on these cars unless you want a super straight inlet.

6 minutes ago, pl0x said:

If that cheap 7163 is gone or doesn't suit, I'd go G660

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2875826&page=2

@Gripless has claimed that one.

7 minutes ago, boon said:

What size is your motor? Still 2.0?

I'd seriously consider an IndyCar 6758 if you can find one. May well give you the largest area under the curve due to insane spool characteristics. Use a big gate so you can let the engine breath a bit easier up top.

Otherwise, EFR7163 twinscroll IWG if the packaging works. Buy @McMasterJamie's one.

Na 2.5 for the new engine. From the few people I've talked to anything smaller than the 7163/7064 won't make the top end.

• Haha 1

The ones I saw just had new pipes bent in so they got another like 2 cm so they could mount it lower and a little further forward. 

EFR seems to have a steap angle to the wastegate actuator and internal bov makes it a little bulky which isnt helped by the turbosmart dual port. But you can rotate them around a bit. 

• Admin

I'm thinking singlescroll v-band entry will be the easiest way which looks to make the EFR slightly less bulky than the T4 TS ones. Finding accurate lengths for both with internal gates seems rather hard. 

Have found an internal EFR one but not one for the G Series.

7163 Internal gate with v-band entry

263.9mm total length

48418195082_a2c45e453a_b.jpg

G-Series external gate

195mm total length

48418174341_d7b2f14310.jpg

Ex vs int

48418043721_85bba67fa4.jpg48418043711_a95e057327.jpg

Hard to judge but it looks like the length difference would be sub 50mm which will make it shorter than the EFR by some small amount, which could be the difference between fitting easily and being a pig of a job I guess.

• Like 1

• Admin

If it's a 2.5L maybe the Borgwarner S200SX-E could be an option? There are two variants available on NZ Performance and the one is basically the EFR 7670 w/o the BOV and stuff - the compressor housing even has the speed port machining done if you wanted to use it. There's a good write up on Full Race about them and they are more than half the price of the EFR series equivalent. Plus, you can purchase the turbine housing of your preference from NZ Performance too for a few hundred bucks.

Sorry for not complying with the existing selections haha! 

PS: The 200SX-E is even more compact that the EFR series too

• Like 1

• Admin

The 257SX-E had been on the mind as they do bloody well for the price, Tony had suggested them years ago when I was considering the HRC35/2. The packaging of the EFR/G -Series with internal gates reduces the fab cost and complexity hugely which is my main reason for considering them.

• Like 1

• Admin
10 minutes ago, sleepr said:

That's just g type for the EFR’s good to see dimensions of the T4 TS housing though

• Admin

Wow that S257 is outrageously good value.

Journal bearing though, I presume? So you don't get the magic beans of the EFR centre section, but outside of that is appears to be aerodynamically the same turbo.......

3 hours ago, boon said:

Wow that S257 is outrageously good value.

Journal bearing though, I presume? So you don't get the magic beans of the EFR centre section, but outside of that is appears to be aerodynamically the same turbo.......

Yeap this was my go to turbo as well but had decided with the hrc35/2 but now got a 7670 ewg. But the 257sxe has a whole range of housings, where as the 7670 is limited.

Edited by sleepr

• Admin
20 minutes ago, Gripless said:

No need to step up to the 300 series. The 257 is rated to 650 so technically 100 more than a 7064/7163. Plus way way cheaper.

https://www.nzperformance.co.nz/categories/borg-warner-turbochargers/s200300400sx-e-turbos

• Like 1