Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

McIntosh Speakers

jakemnz

Hi all. Not sure if this is the right category but I have a 2002 Blitzen with McIntosh audio system. The foam on the front 2 speakers has perished and the audio sounds terrible. Does anyone have any McIntosh speakers for sale or know if they can be replaced with something else? Thanks c256e2f3596090d4aa5aeaeb3dfa28d8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

Literally any speaker you can buy would be better than this, just make sure you buy the right size and get a mounting adapter for your car. If you have a little bit of money to spend then make sure you look at RMS W and not total / max W (watts). Also for front speakers you would want components, and 1 or 2 way in the rear.

Quite common for cheaper speakers to be over hyped with a high max w or 3 or 4 way output speakers (max W doesn't translate to good quality sound) and 3+ way speakers have less punch and more sharp piercing / tinny noise, basically too much going on.

Long story short, if you just want a cheap replacement and don't plan to spend much on the sound system then a trip to supercheap for some basic speakers will be fine, just don't get sold on the massive spec sheet from sony with their 400w 3 way speakers :p

p.s, the cheapest place for car audio is Trademe, there are a few small audio shops who sell there with low margins compared to larger companies.

Edited by Omsin
  • Like 1

• Admin

On the back of the magnet it'll say what ohms it runs.

That's the only thing you may find different to generic off the shelf ones. Subaru often uses 8ohm where most are 4. Try match everything as close to the factory specs as you can or they may sound like crap

• Like 1

Literally any speaker you can buy would be better than this, just make sure you buy the right size and get a mounting adapter for your car. If you have a little bit of money to spend then make sure you look at RMS W and not total / max W (watts). Also for front speakers you would want components, and 1 or 2 way in the rear.

Quite common for cheaper speakers to be over hyped with a high max w or 3 or 4 way output speakers (max W doesn't translate to good quality sound) and 3+ way speakers have less punch and more sharp piercing / tinny noise, basically too much going on.

Long story short, if you just want a cheap replacement and don't plan to spend much on the sound system then a trip to supercheap for some basic speakers will be fine, just don't get sold on the massive spec sheet from sony with their 400w 3 way speakers

p.s, the cheapest place for car audio is Trademe, there are a few small audio shops who sell there with low margins compared to larger companies.
Thanks for this. I read somewhere that due to the speakers being 8 ohms, the 4 ohm speakers could mess up the amp

On the back of the magnet it'll say what ohms it runs.
That's the only thing you may find different to generic off the shelf ones. Subaru often uses 8ohm where most are 4. Try match everything as close to the factory specs as you can or they may sound like crap
They are 8 ohms. Would two 4 ohm speakers in each front door cause any issues? I'm having real difficulty trying to find 8 ohm speakers53d9b0d51657a524ed61a17625b0ecb3.jpg

42 minutes ago, jakemnz said:

Thanks for this. I read somewhere that due to the speakers being 8 ohms, the 4 ohm speakers could mess up the amp

They are 8 ohms. Would two 4 ohm speakers in each front door cause any issues? I'm having real difficulty trying to find 8 ohm speakers53d9b0d51657a524ed61a17625b0ecb3.jpg

The Bose headunit / speakers in my old 350Z were a 2ohm System, I left the front speakers in place and changed the headunit which was designed to run 4ohm (didn’t have any issues).

less ohms means more power!!! 😆😆😆

It’s not so much that they will sound like s***, it just “might” or “have potential” to overheat your headunit amp, but the fact your headunit won’t be working as hard (less ohms = less load) it may not be an issue.

I would upgrade the speaker cable in any case just to play it safe, the stuff they use is ridiculously thin.

Edited by Omsin
  • Like 1

The Bose headunit / speakers in my old 350Z were a 2ohm System, I left the front speakers in place and changed the headunit which was designed to run 4ohm (didn’t have any issues).

less ohms means more power!!!

It’s not so much that they will sound like s***, it just “might” or “have potential” to overheat your headunit amp, but the fact your headunit won’t be working as hard (less ohms = less load) it may not be an issue.

I would upgrade the speaker cable in any case just to play it safe, the stuff they use is ridiculously thin.

I'll give the cable upgrades go and try some 4 ohms in place of the 8 ohm

• Like 1

• Admin

I meant it could sound s*** if you went for 50+w nominal speakers on an amp expecting 20w which will cause clipping

That's how you'd wire it to get 8ohm.

For a 3rd gen Legacy it's just as easy to ditch the lot and put in a cheap aftermarket HU and not have to worry about any of this stuff again.

48540081647_6428f3c9ee.jpg

• Like 1

I meant it could sound s*** if you went for 50+w nominal speakers on an amp expecting 20w which will cause clipping

That's how you'd wire it to get 8ohm.

For a 3rd gen Legacy it's just as easy to ditch the lot and put in a cheap aftermarket HU and not have to worry about any of this stuff again.

48540081647_6428f3c9ee.jpg  
Good idea. I might just cut my losses and replace the lot. I like having the factory look but it would also be nice to have a head unit with more modern features.

Thanks for your help guys much appreciated

• Like 1