Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Headlight symbol on dashboard not working

BMCracer

2007 facelift legacy, Spec B with the headlight washers. When you turn the headlights on, the green headlight symbol comes on on the cluster above the tacho and speedo to show the lights are on. Except now it doesn't. I thought maybe it stopped coming on to indicate I had a blown bulb somewhere, but I checked tonight and they all seem to be working fine ( parkers, low beam, tail lights ). Any ideas?

• 2 months later...

OK so maybe the bulb didn't die. Because also the stereo back lighting doesn't work, and the hazard switch back lighting doesn't work either. I read on Subaruoutback.org someone had a similar problem, and was directed to fuse #16. I'm guessing fuse #16 is under the dash, but when I pulled the cover off, the fuses aren't labelled with numbers, and none of them are labelled with anything I would relate to the hazard switch / stereo / headlight symbol. The only one remotely close is labelled "Audio NAVI", but that fuse was ok ( 20A ). So does anyone know which fuse it could be, or have a wiring diagram for a 2007 Legacy? Some fuses are labelled "I L M", "M I R" ( mirror? ), "D-OP +B", 'Lamp IG", "I G 1", "I G 2", "A/C I G", " Meter I G", so many "I G"s whatever they are!!! Otherwise I guess I'll just start pulling fuses until I hopefully find it?

• Like 1

• Admin

Can't see why a single bulb in the dash would be connected to anything in the stereo area and not other ones. With the ign on does all the other lights on the dash show up? The stereo and hazard light sound more like the ILM fuse

Just start pulling I reckon. Or if you have a multimeter with the car running or ign on check each one for DC 12v on the little open sections. Common lead to earth then check each side of every fuse with the other lead.

• Like 1

IG is ignition aka not constant power. 
ILM illumination most likely. 
meter is usually dash cluster 

audio Navi is the power to the stereo. 

I’d try ILM first and lamp ones. As the interior illumination controls all your faults. But if the fuse is gone and you replace it and nothing happens check the new fuses as if you have a short then it may blow as soon as you turn the headlights on. 
that or you have too many high power LED lights. 

finding fuses

the fuse block can be numbered in tiny 1-2mm high raised numbers moulded into the plastic if it’s a cream colour. 

the cover of the coin box which is the one you pull out to see the fuses can also have the diagram on it.  

pretty sure they are all numbered from 1 to maybe 32 from top left ie

1-8

9-16

17-24

25-32

still if you know a few fuse amp ratings that are together say 15-17 then look for the fuse colours in that pattern. 

ie 

blue empty yellow 

forgot some of the fuses are backed by a relay to the left of the fuse box. But I don’t remember one for illumination so this is for future reference. 

Edited by Gripless
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GC8E2DD said:

Isn't the green light the one that tells you your driving lights are on; and only illuminates when your headlights are on? Could it be you've turned your driving lights off and have just always had them on previously?

No, because my car doesn't have driving lights, or drl's. No auto lights either. The symbol always used to come on when you turn the park lights  / head lights on. Now nothing.

OK, Gripless is the winner. Pulled the ILM fuse and sure enough it was blown. Replaced it, and now the stereo back lighting, hazard switch back lighting, headlight symbol, gear lever position ( auto ) back lighting, SI Drive controller, and number-plate lights all work again. Thanks guys.

Edited by BMCracer
SI Drive controller
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1