Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Cheap daily: 660cc, 1000, or 1300?

swamp

What's the best for a cheap daily? I may be doing 1000km a week for work out of town if I get the job and would like to spend very little on gas if possible. 

100km/h roads, not too hilly but otherwise pretty boring straight roads. 

I got a manual 1.6 Corolla for my daily (1997 model) lots of fun, surprisingly nippy, drives at 110kph no probs, comfortable as, cheap to run and costs almost nothing to buy. There are1.3's also.

Fuel economy is more than just cc's. A light car will use a whole lot less as well as driving style and gearing. You could get a 660cc thing that you have to thrash to get to 100 and then its sitting at high rpms when you get there due to probably having only 4 gears. 

Keen to hear what you get :) 

• Like 2

• Auckland Member

If you want a reference my 96 Suzuki Alto, 660cc turbo, gets average 6.2L/100km and I am not light on the throttle and drive daily. Would probably get better if you drove it like a city car should be.. 

Tires are 155/65/13.

Look after it well of course but most of my journey to work would be on the motorway. 5 speed box though so it's not too bad in terms of revving it's nuts off. 

Lots of fun, highly recommended. 

• Like 2

if you're doing 1000km/week you are not going to want some eco sh it box  🤣

what's your budget ?

how about an old shape suzuki swift sport ?

1.6 NA, 6 speed manual, cheap to maintain and run.

but most importantly they are fun to drive - funner than the latest turbo version.

or a small diesel;

golf

corolla

etc.

bmw 320d if you can find a decent one

Edited by newsuba

My budget is pretty low -

2k max. Something light, say around 800kg. 

5 speed manual or overdrive auto sounds good, along with EFI. All relatively mid nineties tech depending on manufacturer, but from what I gather 4 speed manual and non od auto and carburetted aren't really fuel efficient. 

My mate has a 91 Pulsar with a carbed ga15de(?) and to do the same journey in my WRX it uses same amount of fuel or thereabouts - granted I use gull 98, he 91, never really done a proper km test but same amount gets us home safe, pulsar has 200,000km more than wrx, and needs a good tune up. 

I will most likely get a Vitz/Sirion/Move/March circa 2000, ideally with around 150km on the clock. Though I am a 90s JDM lover, and there's pretty much endless supply of cars that fit that bill but will probably end up costing me more in the long run due to old age/sexy 1.3 turbos but no wof no reg/etc for instance old civics, crx del sol, turbo charade, classic corolla. 

Suppose music can make the boring ride a bit less tedious. 

That's not too bad but I think it will sell for more than 2, that's rough NA auto mx5 money imo. 

I don't really have to get a small daily right away now because I got a job in town! Still 20km commute per day/100km per week plus 10km per week for a few more due to resignation notice in my current weekend job. 

I could sink the extra money I'm making into getting my 87 Prelude wof/reg, means dailying my wrx (currently getting resprayed) some days. Getting another car would probably end up in me looking at logical choice, and then no wof/reg but 90s jdm choice and going with the one that's gonna need time and love haha. 

is that a 2nd gen or 3rd gen prelude ?

both were great cars with the 2.0 dohc motor.

ultimate prelude was the 4th with 2.2 vtec.

i had a nz new vti-r and it was a fantastic touring car, quick and relaxing to drive.

:)

Edited by newsuba

I love the 5th, would own one. All generations look good imo. Everyone seems to rate preludes, esp 3rd gens. (excluding the usual anti Honda and anti fwd crowd) 

Mines a 3rd gen, supposedly has b20a which supposedly made 160hp new as opposed to other motors which made around 140-143. A 'field find' shall we say sat under a guys tree for some time and got a lot of tree crap/rust. I've got a parts car lined up a 89 nz new manual which will donate some panels that aren't rusty and will have to fab up the rest. 

14 hours ago, Joker said:

use the Prelude, why buy another when you've got something thats's already cheap as chips :P

Honda wins every time (even on the track : the STI boys just wont admit it)

Unfortunately mines riddled with rust. The plan is to swap a few panels over and get a few goodies like lips, sideskirts, fogs, a good alternator and coolant hoses, and maybe that manual transmission. 

Subies win on the gravel and the ice 😊

• 7 months later...

The prelude is going, not because I can't fix the rust (I would attempt fail and repeat lol) but it's an expensive fix, even with a 3-500 dollar parts car, add replacing old gaskets seals Hoses overhauling cooling system alternator etc etc etc, another wreck outside my house, it's not really worth it in the end. Then to add power you have to boost an older iron sleeved aluminium block or go h22a that sits way too low so needs custom mounts plus many parts are only shared with one gen of accord plus there's bugger all aftermarket support, It pains me to scrap it but I'm going to keep my wheels and some other bits... 

Plus I can get my GF8 sorted out faster. Broke with two semi/not reliable cars is worse than kinda broke but with a reliable, sorted fun car in my opinion. 

So I'm looking for something manual, preferably lowish kms, and under 1800cc, N/A. 4x100 stud pattern suits as I'll use my Prelude wheels.. Yearly wofs sound good but older more nicer for revving/mods 😉

Was gonna go for a scooter, but too many Chinese copies, quality stuff a bit upper budget plus all safety gear, 125cc bike sounded good but I'd probably fail in the rain, plus I like picking up parts. 

Though if a decent BC/BF/BG/BH/GC is available I may go with that.. Naturally aspirated, povo spec of course 😊

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up getting an ae101, or is it ae101r? 96 Corolla sedan, 4AFE, manual, 260kms s edan, not the nicer/practical/slightly more expensive hatch. 

Was considering a 95 Charade also manual but had to get wof/reg. "girlfriends" 

Note that daihatsu parts catalogs are hard to find online, or. I'm just looking in the wrong places, so with Toyota I have that new parts at amayama prices option. 

Planning on doing a big service with new parts from repco, they're as common as n/a gf imprezas at wreckers so will stock up on some stuff, give it a polish etc, pics to come :)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Bought this thing sight unseen. It turned out having extensive service history back to when it was new, previous owner had it for 10 years and bought it for approx 3200 iirc. 4AFE 5MT 4AGE 20V, just kidding 4AFE 1600, with 267000km on the clock. I paid 1200 for it.

cQ9bygn.jpg

52L9Kjm.jpg

A few small dents here and there, really minor rust issues from stone chips etc, some paint fade, and a slightly bad valve cover gasket but no really bad issues.

y3Biy7X.jpg

Took a midnight intercity bus down to Wellington, driver was a 0/10 and they catfished me with nice pics of a $$$ luxury upgrade, all I got was a seat upstairs.

f4hMwZQ.jpg

Drove it back through the desert road midwinter and the tyres while wofable were a little crackly in places and being skinny chinese 175/65r14s were a little sketchy.. so the first thing I did was replace them with 195/65r14s from the prelude that had mint chinese tyres.

IxIAhlS.jpg

Obh8s0L.jpg

With the rather tall tyres it does fill the wheel arch nice but yeah that ride height.

I've only given it a wash once and a quick cut/polish before these pics. 

7FbdT2w.jpg

I think some panels have been resprayed at some stage 

Only mods I've done to it are the wheels and a few shirtstuckedin / mightycarmods stickers lol, and put in a more widely used style fuel filter after damaging the hard lines. I've done all 3 filters, oil and coolant change and replaced the spark plugs and valve cover gasket. I actually used 3 of one type and 1 that had -11 as the suffix, 11 being a 1.1mm gap. Due to repco/supercheap guys being unable to find them out the back I simply gapped the plugs. The plugs and fuel filter were all original 1996 spec.

Edited by swamp
  • Like 2