Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Police will never investigate car park accidents.

RepNZ

Unsure if similar has happened to anyone and am looking for an advice. Long story short, I'm stuck between rock and hard place unless the offender turns themselves in.

Second time in 2 years where the first time it was the front right guard, very noticeable so had pay $400 from my own pocket for repair. Since then, installed a front dash cam and was getting in habit of reverse parking so if anything does happen, it captures everything.

One afternoon (27 October 2:13pm) while parked facing front at Hoyts Wairau, this Silver Ford Explorer reverses in, leaves a ding with his tow bar and goes off to park further down the car park instead. Obviously the dash cam did not capture it but the security cameras at Hoyts did but with no use; the number plates are worse than if you intentionally blurred it. While Hoyts was very supportive and accommodating, apparently, for whatever reason, the settings of the cameras were at lowest resolution possible on that day although it supports Full HD. Hoyts did say they've captured (and bookmarked) the faces of people in the vehicle as they walked in after (set in the car for few minutes, walked into Hoyts, booked tickets and left - all within 20 minutes) but obviously they could not disclose this due to Privacy Act so my second option was the police.

Went to the local police station (North Shore) where a young officer wasn't 100% sure if they'd investigate, but another old lady told me police would never investigate these scenarios given that it happened on private land and even if police did get faces of the offenders, they wouldn't be able to identify who they are and whether they owned the vehicle; pretty much told me to f*** off and let your insurance deal with it. She did say police, historically (18 months ago) did deal with these kinds of accidents but they no longer do. It's funny how in all news articles, police promotes reporting of these accidents yet they never bother to deal with it. I did argue that this under the legislation is an offence but the lady couldn't give a less f***.

Next option; insurance company. Called insurance who was very helpful but needed a case reference number from police to obtain any videos protected under Privacy Act, but again, police does not investigate for reimbursement of money, non-injury accident in private area, or incident is a car park related according to their form. Even if the insurance company did obtain the footage of the faces, I doubt there is anything they could do as police admitted that they won't be able to do anything with it.

Pretty much there are clearly visible footage of offenders faces sitting at Hoyts with no one having access to the footage except Hoyts employees, and even with the footage, there is nothing that can be done. I did think about Hoyts reporting on my behalf, but again, police will not investigate nor assist the insurance company so what's the point?

Has anyone had similar experience? It seems like moral of the story from the police is if you crash into something and you're sure no one saw it, if it was in private land, just drive away or take the chance at least as police will never get involved.

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, Gripless said:

The police should still take a report and issue a number for the report from what I remember. Even if they don’t investigate you can still report a crime. 

They were even reluctant to provide a form to report a crime saying there was no point of filling out the form as they won't be able to assist any inquiries from the insurance company. They have clearly stated that they can't issue a reference number (to provide to the insurance company) and this all changed around 18 months ago where police will never deal with car park incidents. 

The important part here is that hoyts have the card number of the offender and it can be tracked down that way. It's not so much a case of looking at a face and investigating. It's a case of accessing personal information held on an individual but protected under the privacy act.

Registration details are protected under the privacy act but insurance companies can access that information.

What you can do is go through the small claims court, but you would need to make sure that information at Hoyts won't be lost and is stored for you.

But again, your insurance company should be doing this for you, I would kick up a fuss with your insurance company.

You do not have to pay an excess for a claim if you can provide information identifying the other party for your insurance company to hold them accountable, your insurance company should be putting in the leg work for you, thats what you pay them for.

I had an issue a few years ago with someone who provided a fake number and address at the scene of an accident they caused. My insurance company asked me to pay an excess at the end of the repair and i refused, saying i had identified the other driver and passed on all the information for them to use to seek payment from the other person.

It turned out the number was disconnected, the address was vacant - insurance never got a reply or was able to talk to the other guy. Because of this they couldn't confirm he was at fault because he didn't provide his side of the story or accept my version of events.

In my policy however it clearly stated that my insurance company only needed to establish who the other party was to dismiss payment of an excess if i believed i wasn't at fault. In their email trail to me they said they had established who the other party was but couldn't get hold of them - bingo, no excess ( i had to point that out lol).

Long story short, fight your insurance company. They are lazy f***ers who just want your money, but they work for you. There is an insurance overseer who can help with disputes if you believe your insurer isn't providing adequate service and you want to take it further.

If it was as easy as just ignoring the law to get away with a crime then the world would be f***ed, people are just lazy and you have to fight to get s*** done when stuff like this happens (police dont care, insurance passes the buck).

You can report a non injury accident, it doesn't mean police have to investigate but you do need a reference number from police so when insurance talks to them there is a paper trail to work with. Usually you tick a box saying "no i dont want police to investigate with the intent of laying charges", you tick the box saying it is an insurance matter or some s***, its a technicality more than anything - without it insurance can't talk to police

Edited by Omsin
  • Like 4

• General Member
39 minutes ago, Omsin said:

Long story short, fight your insurance company

yeah its really weird to me they are getting you to do their job

lodge a claim with them ; let them figure it out

they can and should chase the 'perp' to recoup their costs

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Omsin said:

The important part here is that hoyts have the card number of the offender and it can be tracked down that way. It's not so much a case of looking at a face and investigating. It's a case of accessing personal information held on an individual but protected under the privacy act.

Registration details are protected under the privacy act but insurance companies can access that information.

What you can do is go through the small claims court, but you would need to make sure that information at Hoyts won't be lost and is stored for you.

But again, your insurance company should be doing this for you, I would kick up a fuss with your insurance company.

You do not have to pay an excess for a claim if you can provide information identifying the other party for your insurance company to hold them accountable, your insurance company should be putting in the leg work for you, thats what you pay them for.

I had an issue a few years ago with someone who provided a fake number and address at the scene of an accident they caused. My insurance company asked me to pay an excess at the end of the repair and i refused, saying i had identified the other driver and passed on all the information for them to use to seek payment from the other person.

It turned out the number was disconnected, the address was vacant - insurance never got a reply or was able to talk to the other guy. Because of this they couldn't confirm he was at fault because he didn't provide his side of the story or accept my version of events.

In my policy however it clearly stated that my insurance company only needed to establish who the other party was to dismiss payment of an excess if i believed i wasn't at fault. In their email trail to me they said they had established who the other party was but couldn't get hold of them - bingo, no excess ( i had to point that out lol).

Long story short, fight your insurance company. They are lazy f***ers who just want your money, but they work for you. There is an insurance overseer who can help with disputes if you believe your insurer isn't providing adequate service and you want to take it further.

If it was as easy as just ignoring the law to get away with a crime then the world would be f***ed, people are just lazy and you have to fight to get s*** done when stuff like this happens (police dont care, insurance passes the buck).

You can report a non injury accident, it doesn't mean police have to investigate but you do need a reference number from police so when insurance talks to them there is a paper trail to work with. Usually you tick a box saying "no i dont want police to investigate with the intent of laying charges", you tick the box saying it is an insurance matter or some s***, its a technicality more than anything - without it insurance can't talk to police

Wow mate, much appreciated and while most of it makes sense, I just don't know what the insurance company would do/have access to the card details they paid with. But regarding to the 'establishment of the other party', i.e. the offender, I'll look at my insurance company's policy (for the first time) and see what it actually states. To be fair, this is yet to be identified until the insurance company gets a hold of the video but I will definitely push the insurance company to do something about it after I report the incident to the police.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omsin said:

Excess refund              

a.   We will refund your excess if:

i        your claim relates to an accident with another vehicle, and

ii       we can confirm that the person driving your vehicle was completely free of blame,  and

iii      you can give us the registration number of the other vehicle and the name and address of the other driver, and

iv      the other driver acknowledges his or her involvement in the accident to  us.

No excess

a.     You do not have to pay any excess:

i        if you have chosen the ‘Nil excess’ option,  or

ii       if your claim is for loss or damage to a trailer only,  or

iii      for any claim under the section ‘Cover for your legal liability’ (see pages 8 – 9), unless an excess is specified in the Policy Schedule for such claims,  or

iv      for ‘Glass excess buy-out’ (see page 6), or

v       for ‘Accidental death or permanent disability compensation’ (see page 6),  or

vi      for ‘Medical expenses’ (see page 7).

Clauses in AMI's policy seems pretty useless; pretty much the onus is on me to provide the information and there seems to be no obligation for insurer to do anything to identify the offender.

What insurance company are you with? It seems like they have much better protection.

19 minutes ago, RepNZ said:

Excess refund              

a.   We will refund your excess if:

i        your claim relates to an accident with another vehicle, and

ii       we can confirm that the person driving your vehicle was completely free of blame,  and

iii      you can give us the registration number of the other vehicle and the name and address of the other driver, and

iv      the other driver acknowledges his or her involvement in the accident to  us.

No excess

a.     You do not have to pay any excess:

i        if you have chosen the ‘Nil excess’ option,  or

ii       if your claim is for loss or damage to a trailer only,  or

iii      for any claim under the section ‘Cover for your legal liability’ (see pages 8 – 9), unless an excess is specified in the Policy Schedule for such claims,  or

iv      for ‘Glass excess buy-out’ (see page 6), or

v       for ‘Accidental death or permanent disability compensation’ (see page 6),  or

vi      for ‘Medical expenses’ (see page 7).

Clauses in AMI's policy seems pretty useless; pretty much the onus is on me to provide the information and there seems to be no obligation for insurer to do anything to identify the offender.

What insurance company are you with? It seems like they have much better protection.

It was a few years ago now, its one of those insurance companies that car dealers use to give you "instant" cover when you drive off their car yard, you then have a week to arrange your own cover - their whole policy fitted on one piece of A4 paper haha.

I've been with AMI, they usually go the extra mile. I have the email address and phone number of a claims manager if you want to talk to someone a bit higher up who has more of an idea of what to do. (PM me).

You mentioned that the offender went to Hoyt's and bought tickets - if they used an eftpos or debit card then you have all the information their to identify them along with visual confirmation with the security camera. Your insurance company should be able to apply for the necessary paperwork to have that footage and card holder information released

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Omsin said:

It was a few years ago now, its one of those insurance companies that car dealers use to give you "instant" cover when you drive off their car yard, you then have a week to arrange your own cover - their whole policy fitted on one piece of A4 paper haha.

I've been with AMI, they usually go the extra mile. I have the email address and phone number of a claims manager if you want to talk to someone a bit higher up who has more of an idea of what to do. (PM me).

You mentioned that the offender went to Hoyt's and bought tickets - if they used an eftpos or debit card then you have all the information their to identify them along with visual confirmation with the security camera. Your insurance company should be able to apply for the necessary paperwork to have that footage and card holder information released

Hey mate, if this all goes well, I definitely owe you a box or two of beer.

I'll call AMI again and see if they can do anything about it.

• Like 2