Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Legacy not starting

Andy_Mac

• Admin

So not having much luck getting the old girl started. Drove down to wanganui last night with no issues, then went to start it today and the starter didn't do a thing. Dash lights up as usual then when you click the key over to start nothing really happens. There is a single faint click somewhere but not the usual large repeated clicking that goes with a semi flat battery.

Have checked off a few things without any luck so hoping one of you might have an idea I haven't thought of yet. 

-Battery is fully charged

-Have tested and confirmed operation of both clutch switches.

-tried confirming relay in cabin without luck. They're all the same so moved each one spot over in case one was dead which didn't help either. 

-tested for power at starter fuse which is fine.

-tested for power at starter which has nothing

I've been tossing up whether to try jumper the negative terminal on the starter straight to the chassis to see if that does anything but not sure if that'll be a bad idea or not??...

• Sad 1

Isn’t it 12v to the spade terminal that turns on the internal relay. 

the main big cables should always be live. 

that’s why the big screw driver rammed in there works. Not ideal but 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by Gripless

• Admin

Yea, you're on the money @Gripless main cable is always live. 

I was looking at things the wrong way around. For some reason I was thinking the positive was coming from the main cable for the starter and coil and that the small one was a switched ground from the ECU to kick it in. Turns out it's a switched positive which confirms there is 12v getting to the starter coil with nothing happening so it's a good assumption that the coil is stuffed.

What's this big screwdriver trick? Manually activating the internal coil somehow?

You short the spade to the live main cable. Just tap it with screw driver and starter should spin up. 
it’s an easy test to bypass all the car electrics and see if starter is dead. 

not ideal and needs to be out of gear and brakes on. 
plus tiny risks of shock and well fire from sparks.