Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

How come my Legacy 96 GTB has over sized oil filter

Legover

The first time I changed the oil filter I had no idea of the correct filter to buy so I removed it and got a similar sized one from super cheap! I think. Anyway this time round doing a filter change I bought a filter online specific to the ej20 and BG5 chassis. What I received was clearly way too small compared to the one fitted to my car. The filter fitted to car is about 83 mm diameter Not yet removed from car. The specified OEM filter is 15208AA100 replacing the original ...024: Which is about 68 mm dia. 

It has been suggested to me that an over-sized filter housing has been installed possible from a 6 cylinder Subaru. When I bought this car years ago now I was told the motor had been rebuilt by the 2nd best Subaru guy in NZ believe it or not and I took the mans word on that. 

Any how is this all possible? An over sized filter housing on original motor. Could there be some clever good reason for a larger oil filter maybe installed in the rebuild. 

Can anyone advise what oil filter I should be looking for as replacement, or no anything about what's happened here? ....

Now, i'm not sure about the OEM numbers without having the vehicles details, but I can tell you what I have found with my WRX which is similar age.

The older 90's subarus had a larger Tokyo Roki filter (Ryco p/n Z79x, Fram TG3593A). Some time early "00 they changed to the smaller black filter (Ryco Z436, Fram TG6607) which is what that 15208AA100 number crosses to.

Now, I buy genuine filters for my cars via Partsouq, and both are now listing the same smaller body filter as IIRC they have stopped making the older style. I'd assume someone previously has used the newer size filter, however because the aftermarket still makes them, this time you have been given the older size. Now while there is a slight size difference is the seal size, it isn't much that should make an issue (as always however, it is up to you to make sure they filter will fit ;)

If you can get me the filter number that they gave you I can check it and see if I can cross it over.

13 hours ago, Legover said:

The first time I changed the oil filter I had no idea of the correct filter to buy so I removed it and got a similar sized one from super cheap! I think. Anyway this time round doing a filter change I bought a filter online specific to the ej20 and BG5 chassis. What I received was clearly way too small compared to the one fitted to my car. The filter fitted to car is about 83 mm diameter Not yet removed from car. The specified OEM filter is 15208AA100 replacing the original ...024: Which is about 68 mm dia. 

It has been suggested to me that an over-sized filter housing has been installed possible from a 6 cylinder Subaru. When I bought this car years ago now I was told the motor had been rebuilt by the 2nd best Subaru guy in NZ believe it or not and I took the mans word on that. 

Any how is this all possible? An over sized filter housing on original motor. Could there be some clever good reason for a larger oil filter maybe installed in the rebuild. 

Can anyone advise what oil filter I should be looking for as replacement, or no anything about what's happened here? ....

it's just an oil filter... you can put whatever size you want on.

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Firenza said:

Yes and no, if you end up getting one with a pressure release valve rated wrong you'll end up doing some damage. 

I have to disagree buddy. Saying you can use whatever  externally sized filter you like in no way implies you can use one with incorrect internal specifications. No more than it implies you can use a fuel filter that just happens to fit (though perhaps you can? I don't know :))

36 minutes ago, Loren said:

I have to disagree buddy. Saying you can use whatever  externally sized filter you like in no way implies you can use one with incorrect internal specifications. No more than it implies you can use a fuel filter that just happens to fit (though perhaps you can? I don't know :))

Sorry, but you put;

it's just an oil filter... you can put whatever size you want on.

The way you wrote that would mean you can use ANY filter that fits, which is wrong. If what you meant to say was that he could use whichever one out of the two options then yes, he can.

There's a difference between the meanings of whichever (being whatever one or ones out of a group) and whatever (anything or everything)

Either way, we're on the same page, OP needs to fit the right one specified for his car, but depending on specs can choose from a couple of options