Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Is this a legitimate STI WRX

Shibe

Eyeing up this WRX STI for my brother. Have been and inspected it and test driven etc. For peace of mind, we just want to know if it’s a legitimate STI or not. We couldn’t figure out by Chassis codes or VIN and it doesn’t help that carjam registered it just as Subaru Impreza. 

Any help? Cheers

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/subaru/impreza/listing/2502824226

• Like 1

Partsouq says it came with STI stickers for front fenders. 
under

GF8-015083

outer accessories 

919-01: LETTER MARK

its missing the large WRX from the boot though. But with respray I wouldn’t put it back. 

Edited by Gripless

The applied model code for GF8-015083 is GF8C58D (build date 21/09/95) which comes up with this https://legacypic.uk/identification/index.php?appliedModel=gf8c58d

So yea, seems to be legit. It has the correct seats and door cards, and the centre boss with with STI embossing is uncommon. I'd check the engine numbers to see if they match as who knows whats in it as it looks like its been modded a bit given it running the wrong expansion bottle and they've removed the A/C.

Otherwise, looks pretty good

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Firenza said:

The applied model code for GF8-015083 is GF8C58D (build date 21/09/95) which comes up with this https://legacypic.uk/identification/index.php?appliedModel=gf8c58d

So yea, seems to be legit. It has the correct seats and door cards, and the centre boss with with STI embossing is uncommon. I'd check the engine numbers to see if they match as who knows whats in it as it looks like its been modded a bit given it running the wrong expansion bottle and they've removed the A/C.

Otherwise, looks pretty good

Good info. Thanks. AC removed may be from the rebuild if it shat itself prior. Maybe another sign of the rebuild which I’m waiting to see proof of. Should probably get the Engine number too to see if it matches. 

16 hours ago, Firenza said:

it looks like its been modded a bit given it running the wrong expansion bottle and they've removed the A/C.

I wondered that but the belt cover wouldn’t fit an AC belt would it. 
old enough to have AC as an optional extra. 

3 hours ago, Gripless said:

I wondered that but the belt cover wouldn’t fit an AC belt would it. 
old enough to have AC as an optional extra. 

The A/C is standard fit on STis, only optional on the RA. Theres a separate plastic cover for the ac compressor

4538-1501184687-391059052e9ceefae7cf8b54

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SpeedySub said:

What about the  brakes? Would it have come with the Subaru 4 pots? or were they later?

Those would be on the V3 onward, that one should have the 2 pot fronts with the 277mm front disc. Easy enough to upgrade if you wanted to

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boon said:

Even if it's an STI, how on earth is a pre-V3, relatively rough, with nearly 200000kms on the body and driveline if not the motor, worth $7000??

I have inspected in person. It’s very tidy considering it’s 25 years old nearly. Closed body respray and refurbished wheels. Interior is hard to fault apart from the drivers side door card. The motor was supposedly rebuilt about 20k ago, which I’m waiting to see proof of. All the other work listed in the auction too. Last fixed price offer he had was $5800 which id he saying is a very good buy if all proof of work is there.

• Admin

That'll be why both the front and back bumpers are wonky and the window line on the driver's side has a bloody step in it :/ Seriously, the front bumper, grill, and headlights look like someone threw them at the car and went "good enough!"

The steering wheel is flogged out too. And there's some random wiring dangling from by the driver's right knee. 

This is from a 30 second eyeball of a trademe auction.

People seem to want absolute drug money these days for relatively s****y cars. Hang on to your money and wait for the right car to come along, or you'll pay over the odds for a probably lemon.

3 hours ago, boon said:

That'll be why both the front and back bumpers are wonky and the window line on the driver's side has a bloody step in it :/ Seriously, the front bumper, grill, and headlights look like someone threw them at the car and went "good enough!"

The steering wheel is flogged out too. And there's some random wiring dangling from by the driver's right knee. 

This is from a 30 second eyeball of a trademe auction.

People seem to want absolute drug money these days for relatively s****y cars. Hang on to your money and wait for the right car to come along, or you'll pay over the odds for a probably lemon.

I see the bumpers now that you've pointed them out. Starting to annoy me now just looking at it haha.

Steering wheel is definitely in need of a refurb. The random wire is the killswitch which was placed appropriate when I drove the car.

At an honest guess though, what do you think the car is really worth if the rebuild checks out? It's hard to compare to literally anything like it since there's, well, f*** all of them around 

• Admin

For some perspective, I bought a V3 GF8 WRX in arguably better condition and 140000kms for $3400 _in 2009_. 11 years ago. Back then an STI was like $5k. I honestly can't see how these somewhat rough, non-collectable cars have appreciated in the interim.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, boon said:

For some perspective, I bought a V3 GF8 WRX in arguably better condition and 140000kms for $3400 _in 2009_. 11 years ago. Back then an STI was like $5k. I honestly can't see how these somewhat rough, non-collectable cars have appreciated in the interim.

I think the facts are is they have gone up in value. 11 yrs ago there would have been a crap ton more of them around so not a great comparison. Supply vs demand means value changes. 

Be lucky if 3.4k buys you  one with a wof and reg, let alone running.

11 minutes ago, boon said:

11 years ago though. The general gist for any WRX STI  pre 2008 is they're just increasing in value by the year. Some significantly. 

Our definition of a rough car is obviously miles apart in difference. 

Edited by Shibe

Supply and demand, so many old wrx's have been crashed or stolen that the numbers are dwindling with demand just as high or increasing (people have a lot of money atm), price will go up accordingly. I have noticed when I compare NZ prices to the UK or Japan they are slightly inflated though, probably asking 15-20% higher on average, even ignoring shipping prices here are high

Edited by YoungOne
  • Like 2

In my opinion, classic car is more than just an old car. Classic car should be in good condition, reasonable mileage and as original as possible. These day people just put up a high price tag on their Subaru and say" this is a collectible car" just because of the age is over 20 years old. Most of them are average to poor condition with lots on k done on the car.

Back to the topic, I have run the chassis number GF8-015083 on Subaru Japan Website and returned it as a 1995/08 STI Version II Wagon. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

In my opinion, classic car is more than just an old car. Classic car should be in good condition, reasonable mileage and as original as possible. These day people just put up a high price tag on their Subaru and say" this is a collectible car" just because of the age is over 20 years old. Most of them are average to poor condition with lots on k done on the car.

It doesn't really matter though because no one is being forced to buy over priced, poor condition "classic" cars.