Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

EZ30 Not running very well

BMCracer

The 2005 on 3.0's have AVLS (variable lift) & AVCS (variable timing) with solenoids for each. Are the solenoid valves at the rear of the engine for variable lift or timing ?  Was reading somewhere that the solenoids front of the heads are for variable timing (makes sense with the cam sprockets being there) with the lift system at the back. I've not worked on these but catalogues and manuals use similar terminology such as oil switching for lift and oil control for timing but often seems mixed up.  If someone has clarification would be good to know. 

• Like 1

Loosing my s*** here trying to get Romraider to work.

Downloaded RR, got the ecu_defs xml and dtd files, got the cars_def xml and dtd files, got the logger_v350 files. Every time I open it up ( RR logger, not RR logger fullscreen or RR logger touchscreen or RR ECU editor ), it comes up with "cars definition file not found. Go online to download the latest definition file?"

I click "no" because i have it. 

Then it comes up "missing cars_def.xml file from the installation or profiles or definitions directory. Dyno feature will not be available until this file is present."

I click OK.

Then it comes up "Logger definition not configured. Go online to download the latest definition file?"

I click no.

Then it comes up "The logger definition file needs to be configured before connecting to the ECU. Menu: Settings > Logger Defintion Location ... Once configured restart the Logger application.

I click OK

Then RR opens so I can go to settings > Logger Defintion, but then what??

If it's going to be easier to explain it over the phone, can someone who knows what they are doing please PM me their phone number and a time that suits you and I will ring you. Thanks heaps.

• Admin

It is a bit of a weird way it wants things but all you have to do is tell it where you have put those files on your computer whether it be your download folder or anywhere you want but it's best to put it in the correct folder where the program is installed. 

If it still asks after doing that you’ll need to go into the install location and find a folder called cars or something like that and double check your ROM ID is in the list there.

I can probably explain it better with some screenshots from my computer if you're still stuck.

• Like 1

Hopefully this should be enough to start RR without error messages.  If you don't see the c:\Program FIles (x86)\RomRaider\ folder no worries just use c:\Program Files\RomRaider\.  You'll need to download 3 files from their website but sounds like you got this; 

ecu_defs.xml

cars_def.xml

logger_METRIC_EN_v350.xml 

Open the RomRaider install directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\RomRaider\

Put cars_def.xml into this folder

Put ecu_defs.xml into this folder

Open your normal Documents folder via the shortcut on Windows Explorer (or C:\Users\<yourname>\Documents\) 

Put logger_METRIC_EN_v350.xml into this folder

Start RR ECU Editor

Click ECU definitions, then Definition File Manager

Click Add to select ecu_defs.xml  from your RR install direction and Save

Close the ECU editor

Start RR Logger 

Click Settings then Logger Definition Location

Select logger_METRIC_EN_v350.xml from your Documents folder and then OK

Close the Logger

Open RR Logger again

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ajayel said:

Hopefully this should be enough to start RR without error messages.  If you don't see the c:\Program FIles (x86)\RomRaider\ folder no worries just use c:\Program Files\RomRaider\.  You'll need to download 3 files from their website but sounds like you got this; 

ecu_defs.xml

cars_def.xml

logger_METRIC_EN_v350.xml 

Open the RomRaider install directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\RomRaider\

Put cars_def.xml into this folder

Put ecu_defs.xml into this folder

Open your normal Documents folder via the shortcut on Windows Explorer (or C:\Users\<yourname>\Documents\) 

Put logger_METRIC_EN_v350.xml into this folder

Start RR ECU Editor

Click ECU definitions, then Definition File Manager

Click Add to select ecu_defs.xml  from your RR install direction and Save

Close the ECU editor

Start RR Logger 

Click Settings then Logger Definition Location

Select logger_METRIC_EN_v350.xml from your Documents folder and then OK

Close the Logger

Open RR Logger again

Thanks for this. I had the cars_def.xml and ecu_defs.xml files in the correct place, but had to do the rest of what you said. Will go out to the car shortly and try it

Ok so it still doesn't work. Now when I open up RR Logger, it opens up ok and there are no notifications that something isn't confugured / found / whatever. When the laptop is plugged into the Tactrix, it still says "cannot send ecu init, checek cable is plugged in and ignition on." It is plugged in, and the engine is running.So I unplugged it, closed RR, plugged cable back in, opened RR again, still the same.

I was expecting a window to open about selecting the car type so RR would know what it was talking to? I've had a look at the tabs at the top but can't see anything obviously wrong there, but I've barely got a clue about this so it might wrong I just don't know haha

Edited by BMCracer

1 hour ago, BMCracer said:

Ok so it still doesn't work. Now when I open up RR Logger, it opens up ok and there are no notifications that something isn't confugured / found / whatever. When the laptop is plugged into the Tactrix, it still says "cannot send ecu init, checek cable is plugged in and ignition on." It is plugged in, and the engine is running.So I unplugged it, closed RR, plugged cable back in, opened RR again, still the same.

Have you used the Tactrix cable or the EcuFlash app on that computer before? If not might be it's drivers need installing from https://www.tactrix.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=38&Itemid=61.

• Like 1

OK it's working now, as in at the top right it says reading data with a green circle. Bottom left says select parameters to be logged... where to do that?

And for the purposes of what we are trying to work out with my car, I need to log OCV and ACVS and what else?

Also, I read on the RR site that you should select DS2 K-line. It has SSM K-line selected at the moment. Do I need to change that? I thought Subaru's were SSM?

God damn I'm sure they could make this a bit more user friendly and intuitive so you don't need a degree in computers to be able to work it all out and get it set up it. Or maybe I'm just well below the average level of stupid 😂

• Like 1

Looks like valve lift is behaving but variable timing is still oscillating left hand side.  As @Andy_Mac suggested maybe swap the front timing solenoid valves between left & right, run another log and see if the oscillation is then recorded on the right hand side with good data on the left which would identify a dud solenoid.  I did this swap this morning as I'm chasing a different prob, took around 10 mins and a 10mm socket.  

bmc2.png

• Like 2

OK I'll swap them over. The left hand one is on the top of the engine right behind the yellow oil filler cap? That's the correct solenoid?

How do you get the nice graphs out of the info from the RR log?

Edited by BMCracer

Yeah mate you got the location, here's pics on my car, to work RHS I removed the front part of the air intake, the valve is kind of underneath the elbow in the power steering suction hose.  

Charts were done in Microsoft Excel but Google can also do this free with the files you uploaded, try the green 'Open in Google Sheets' when the shared CSV file opens, then click Chart under the Insert menu.

avcs-solenoid-rhs.thumb.jpg.7b366b5a58ef539ceaeae82f277ccb62.jpgavcs-solenoid-lhs.thumb.jpg.494d127e863259c8a3f2c94d41679ad5.jpg

chart-intake-vvt-angles-google-sheets.thumb.png.a96d916b3bad5a288d1e9104d4dd55dc.png

• Like 1

OK cool, I'll order one right now.

Thanks sooooo much for your help @ajayel. I've been trying to sort out the 0.0001 IAM ever since I put the Nexus in the car about 18 months ago. And the car has always had less go that I thought a 3L 6 cylinder should have every since I bought it 3 years ago. So this has probably been the problem the whole time. Hopefully it will fix it. 

Edited by BMCracer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BMCracer said:

OK cool, so if I did the chart right it looks like now the right hand side is all over the place, which would indicate that solenoid that I swapped from the left to the right is dodgy. Do you think so?

Definitely 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BMCracer said:

OK cool, I'll order one right now.

Thanks sooooo much for your help @ajayel. I've been trying to sort out the 0.0001 IAM ever since I put the Nexus in the car about 18 months ago. And the car has always had less go that I thought a 3L 6 cylinder should have every since I bought it 3 years ago. So this has probably been the problem the whole time. Hopefully it will fix it. 

All good @BMCRacer I was looking at AVCS/AVLS anyway on my 3.0R also not driving great, so it's neat there was a problem pattern on your car and that's its not too uncommon.   Please let us know if the new solenoid affects IAM or drive-ability cheers

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BMCracer said:

So when I get the new solenoid, should I reset the ecu after I've installed it, or just whack it in and drive off into the sunset and let everything sort itself out?

haha yeah it would relearn fuel trims and knock cells after a few drive cycles, you can watch these on BtSSM or RomRaider learning view.  a change in airflow caused by a new AVCS solenoid would affect the long term fuel trims and lean spots cause knock (FBKC, FLKC on the logs which contribute to IAM) so I would reset it on my car. is yours auto or MT ? my 5EAT auto doesn't like the engine (ECU) to be reset in RomRaider unless the transmission computer (TCU) is also reset in RR.   or just disconnect the battery whilst you do the change.

did you say you were in Perth , hows the temperature there or was the car loaded or towing ? one of your logs had coolant temp up at 98C on a short drive.  it's not real high but getting there, worth keeping an eye on these aluminium engines. mine got up to 99, 100 in auckland summer when the original radiator just started to leak , replaced the rad, t-stat and coolant and it's dropped back 4 or 5 degrees .

• Thanks 1