Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BP5 getting warm

Outback Ash

Hey Chaps,

I thought i would give another Legacy a go and it fits all my needs and they are bloody cool IMO,

Picked one up with moderate Kms, super tidy and a warranty which was a bonus!

I have come across a wee problem and i cant find a solid answer anywhere, probably searching in the wrong area so please feel free to roast me for this.

i took the car on its first big trip up north and in Heavy traffic it started to creep up in temperature, nothing serious, like a "click" above 1/2 way on the temp gauge. Fans wouldn't kick in unless AC was on.

Cambelt, waterpump etc have all been replaced within the last 10,000 kms with genuine parts.

got home and took the car to a mechanic to have it checked.... waste of time. They came back with "an overheating Subaru is to hard to diagnose, could be millions of things. we cant find it" charged me to much and off i went in the same position.

Because both fans work when the AC is on am i correct in assuming the wiring is OK?

Also when should i expect the cooling fan to come on? am i being a little to cautious? 

Anyone able to help a novice Subaru fan out? Ej's are a little different to the Honda's i use to play with.

Cheers

Ash

• Subscribed Member

Could be the coolant temperature sensor for the ECU?
There's two if I'm not mistaken, one for the gauge, and one for the ECU. 
If the ECU isn't getting the correct temperature reading, it may not turn on the fans?

• Like 2

Any oil or coolant clinging to the engine or radiator ? Might need to remove a plastic cover underneath the engine to look, tho I guess the workshop would/should have reported leaks.  Do you know if the radiator & radiator cap are original or replaced ?  Does the temp gauge climb or rad fans eventually activate if you watch the car whilst parked for a 1/2 hour with the engine running ? Sorry so many q's

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ajayel said:

Any oil or coolant clinging to the engine or radiator ? Might need to remove a plastic cover underneath the engine to look, tho I guess the workshop would/should have reported leaks.  Do you know if the radiator & radiator cap are original or replaced ?  Does the temp gauge climb or rad fans eventually activate if you watch the car whilst parked for a 1/2 hour with the engine running ? Sorry so many q's

Hey,

Appreciate all the questions :D

Car looks clean, no visible leaks. but ill re check this,

The workshop was hopeless. i don't believe they checked anything, only went to them as it was recommended by the company holding the mechanical warranty. 

unsure on the cap or radiator, both look in good condition. if this was an issue i thought it would be more consistent with overheating? 

Radiator fans don't come on at all, when i was testing it in the driveway it would creep and i would have to put AC on the help drop the temp again.

i drove from Napier to Auckland - fine no increases both ways on open road, 

open driving on expressway or in town again fine

Sitting in a drive through it will move to the same "one mm" above the 1/2 way mark on temp gauge. then ac and its back down again.

im a little cautious and always stop it before it gets the chance to get higher

over the weekend ill try get some time to get a video of it

If the fans don't run at all BP leggies have a built in test to force them to spin up.  this could identify the ECT sensor prob @Technikhaus described.

1) with the key out

2) pull up the passenger side floor carpet from under the plastic trim roughly RHS of the glove-box.

3) rummage around behind the carpet.  should find two loose green electrical connectors,

4) there's not too much free cable but join the connectors together

5) Turn the key until the dashboard lights up

6) You should hear the radiator fans spinning up, on and off every 20 seconds (guessing from memory here) but don't worry if the check engine light flashes 

7) maybe leave it for 5 mins - other tests are also cycled you might hear clicks from various relays or pumps

8 ) turn the car off, disconnect the green connectors 

• Like 1

So did some more checking today... put the car up on ramps and my plastic cover is missing. Was never put back on from the workshop who pulled the to hard card. They also forgot to push the fan relays back in and 2x fan fuses 🙃

Will give them a call tomorrow morning. 

about to try hunt out a manual to see where the fan temperature switch is.

Temp ran above 1/2 way on temp gauge, no fans and bottom radiator hose was cold. Will replace the thermostat and radiator caps and see if this helps out at all. 

Car needs a gearbox service so I may just get Bayswater our local Subaru dealer to look at it as well if the above doesn’t work out

@Outback Ash my EZ30 has the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor front of the passenger side cylinder head but yours could be different. There's a section for each engine in the factory service manuals with component diagrams, specs & install instructions. Also covers how radiator fan speed is set by the computer depending on ECT, vehicle speed and a few other params.  You can find all of the Suby service manuals over @ https://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/. Sounds like a interesting workshop there bro! 

• Like 1