Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2011 JDM STi - Basic tune questions for reliability

Hey everyone I'm finally getting behind the wheel of an STI again after a three year hiatus.

I've spent the last few days reading through all the 2010-2014 STI content on here and I have a few questions in regards to my new ride.

The cars a fresh import manual 130kms with standard exhaust, standard intake, coilovers and a defi boost gauge and fcon controller. Should have it down here (moved to Invercargill a couple of months back) by the end of the week once its complied and certed.

For power I have no intention of ramping things up hard, I just want a quick daily I can take for blasts to Queenstown/Wanaka etc on the weekend and if I could get a similar power feeling as my old V6 RA (turboback, intake, 18PSI) I would be more than happy.

So my questions are:

If I'm looking to do intake and exhaust, should I definitely be looking at a downpipe and new fuel pump at the same time and a tune? I don't want to f*** the car up and as usual with a boxer all the fuel economy I can retain would be great.

For tuning, if I have no intention of chasing 300hp atw do I need to look at an aftermarket ECU or can a tuner do everything required with the stock ECU as it is? This car will likely never see track time so I don't need flat foot shifting or anything like that. 

For tuners, I've noted APET in Dunedin and SAS in Christchurch recommended on here. Any pros or cons in relation to the questions above?

Any recommendations for intakes from GRB owners would be great as I can't see any major difference between them, I want to maximise the auditory experience for intake and exhaust all I can 😂

Anyway f***ing stoked to be getting back behind the wheel of an STI and excited to get back among this community even if its a bit quieter round here!

EDIT: I've seen a few 2010-2013 JDM import owners chasing cruise control - After having some luxury cars during my hiatus I will be all over this too so hopefully one of us can nut it out

• Like 3

• Admin

-The stock ECU is more than capable for you intentions so no need to look elsewhere.

-A downpipe will help but isn't exactly a necessity. Mine made 225wkw (300whp) with the stock one decatted. Almost all the auditory improvement will come from a catback.

-A 3-port boost solenoid is always a worthwhile addition for the minimal cost.

-Intake wise mine came with a K&N which I can't really fault besides how expensive it is, but they all seem that way these days. It definitely needed a tune though, MAF scaling was miles off.

Don’t bother with intake it big money for not much gain and full retune. Get better tires over an intake. 

they all make 300whp without a cat about 21-22psi down low and 14-15psi up top.  

they have no rumble in the 2.0L and rear muffler is the thing you want to replace.  

you’ll be surprised how big a leap the GRB is from any previous model. 

• Like 1

• Subscribed Member

Another Southern local!
We're up in Dunedin, with a 2011 STI, We had it on the dyno when we first got it, and I think it was 190wKW.. 
We've since thrown on an Nvidia R400, and are awaiting delivery of a PBMS Cat-less down pipe. 
Hoping for 225wKW, with the down pipe, exhaust, a new fuel pump (DW65c will be installed), and probably just a high-flow filter. 

Tuner wise we haven't decided yet, either APET, or maybe Rapid In Timaru, haven't decided yet!
I've had my rally car tuned a few times at APET, with no issues so far.

• Like 1

• Subscribed Member
1 minute ago, Andy_Mac said:

@Technikhaus how are you liking the r400?

It was literally the easiest exhaust ever to install, think it took 10 minutes? haha. 
it's a little loud, but not too bad, although I think once the cat-less down pipe goes on, we'll probably need to put a resonator in. 
Looks great, sounds great, and hasn't been any issue!
I'll see if I can find a video I took...

• Admin
14 minutes ago, Technikhaus said:

It was literally the easiest exhaust ever to install, think it took 10 minutes? haha. 
it's a little loud, but not too bad, although I think once the cat-less down pipe goes on, we'll probably need to put a resonator in. 
Looks great, sounds great, and hasn't been any issue!
I'll see if I can find a video I took...

Ahh yours is a sedan. Imagine they don't get the boomy resonance the hatches get which I seriously hate about mine. I really like the noise in general just not this pressurised sub like feel at certain rpm’s

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Heaps of great advice above thanks for the input, the intake especially makes a lot of sense from a $$$ point of view even if I love induction noises.

So do you guys think I will be safe to chuck a cat back such as the R400 or Xpreme on there straight away if I'm not touching anything else without needing to tune immediately?

If that is possible I would consider going that way while I get whatever other basic bits I want together such as downpipe, fuel pump and three port solenoid then I can get everything installed and tuned at the same time in a couple of months when life is less hectic with Level 2 coming in.

• Like 1

• Subscribed Member
1 minute ago, Greaver said:

Heaps of great advice above thanks for the input, the intake especially makes a lot of sense from a $$$ point of view even if I love induction noises.

So do you guys think I will be safe to chuck a cat back such as the R400 or Xpreme on there straight away if I'm not touching anything else without needing to tune immediately?

If that is possible I would consider going that way while I get whatever other basic bits I want together such as downpipe, fuel pump and three port solenoid then I can get everything installed and tuned at the same time in a couple of months when life is less hectic with Level 2 coming in.

That's exactly what we did, R400, and no other mods, it's running happily, and has been for over a year.

5 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

Cool. Should be alright with the r400 then 

To be honest I really like the sound of the Tomei Xpreme but from I've seen they are f***ing loud which I don't mind however I'm living right on top of as few neighbors currently which could make that an issue warming her up at 7am haha

My neighbours already tolerate my smokers but I don't wanna push it too far while renting 

@Technikhaus If you get a chance I'd love to hear more of the R400 mate even if its just a quick in cabin video because what you posted above sounds nice and finding ELH EJ20 footage on youtube for most of these exhausts is super annoying

• Subscribed Member
7 minutes ago, Greaver said:

To be honest I really like the sound of the Tomei Xpreme but from I've seen they are f***ing loud which I don't mind however I'm living right on top of as few neighbors currently which could make that an issue warming her up at 7am haha

My neighbours already tolerate my smokers but I don't wanna push it too far while renting 

@Technikhaus If you get a chance I'd love to hear more of the R400 mate even if its just a quick in cabin video because what you posted above sounds nice and finding ELH EJ20 footage on youtube for most of these exhausts is super annoying

No worries, I'll see what I can sort, checked my videos but sadly I don't think I can find any more, so will try record some :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Greaver said:

To be honest I really like the sound of the Tomei Xpreme but from I've seen they are f***ing loud which I don't mind however I'm living right on top of as few neighbors currently which could make that an issue warming her up at 7am

I have the titanium version it’s loud as f***. I wound not recommend it at all. Plus the stuffing seems to not like the lift off pops and it got a lot louder. I think it’s burnt out a bit. Cold start will set off car alarms. 
decat makes a big noise difference so do that first before you pick the rear mufflers. 

even so the biggest noise I have once warmed up is still the pitch stop. Exhaust is loud but the pitch stop drones so much at mid rpm. 

yes I wear noise cancelling headphones on long trips. which are fancy airplane ones so you can hear just not constant droning. 

I'm likely getting custom adrenaline R one made up 3” straight though. 

11 hours ago, Gripless said:

Cold start will set off car alarms. 

decat makes a big noise difference so do that first before you pick the rear mufflers. 

biggest noise I have once warmed up is still the pitch stop. Exhaust is loud but the pitch stop drones so much at mid rpm. 

Well f*** that might not be the go then, don't want it setting off the alarm on my 33 when I start it in the garage lol

I didn't realise the pitch stop increased NVH so much, did it make much difference to the feel of the car?

Whats everyone's opinion on downpipe, decatting the standard one worth it or just go for PBMS twin scroll one at $599?

• Admin

Some pitchstop mounts seem to give buttloads of noise but others not.

I've had Kein and Hardrace ones all with rubber bushes and really can't fault them for noise and vibrations.

One's with poly bushes seem to give the most problems.

If you plan on keeping the car and factory turbo i’d get a proper downpipe. They will have the potential to make a moderate amount more power down to the reduced restriction but the factory one decatted should definitely make it to your goal. 

• Subscribed Member
4 hours ago, Greaver said:

Well f*** that might not be the go then, don't want it setting off the alarm on my 33 when I start it in the garage lol

I didn't realise the pitch stop increased NVH so much, did it make much difference to the feel of the car?

Whats everyone's opinion on downpipe, decatting the standard one worth it or just go for PBMS twin scroll one at $599?

We've ordered the PBMS one, awaiting delivery for it now, but won't be getting installed until we go for a tune.

Hi,

First Im no guru or any subaruwiz 😂 . 

Having it tune with or without replacing the downpipe will be beneficial but IMO having an aftermarket dp will make it far more better it will save you atleast another tune when you decide to get an aftermarket dp in the future.

Intake apparently as per my tuner isnt really going to give you a big gain with the basic modification ive done so thats a saving for me. But if you want to have that intake noises then its up to you, seen a lot of good feedback on processwest intake.

I went into catted downpipe as i just think that its the safer route rather than having paranoid with boost creep, thats just me tho but a lot of people will say catless are better and as long as its properly tuned you wont have a problem.

ive went into catted and didnt have to replace my boost solenoid as it was suggested by the tuner.

The modifications on my car is invidia r400, 3”catted downpipe, stock intake with KnN filter (washed out the oil first) , process west TMIC(better cooling and preventing heat soak)

aem fuel pump.

I went on to ecutek tune, just because ive heard a lot of good feedback about it not just here but even outside the country. They can offer you as well an app that you can use as an accesport like the cobb ones. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/05/2020 at 7:49 PM, nihell said:

Hi,

First Im no guru or any subaruwiz 😂 . 

Having it tune with or without replacing the downpipe will be beneficial but IMO having an aftermarket dp will make it far more better it will save you atleast another tune when you decide to get an aftermarket dp in the future.

Intake apparently as per my tuner isnt really going to give you a big gain with the basic modification ive done so thats a saving for me. But if you want to have that intake noises then its up to you, seen a lot of good feedback on processwest intake.

I went into catted downpipe as i just think that its the safer route rather than having paranoid with boost creep, thats just me tho but a lot of people will say catless are better and as long as its properly tuned you wont have a problem.

ive went into catted and didnt have to replace my boost solenoid as it was suggested by the tuner.

The modifications on my car is invidia r400, 3”catted downpipe, stock intake with KnN filter (washed out the oil first) , process west TMIC(better cooling and preventing heat soak)

aem fuel pump.

I went on to ecutek tune, just because ive heard a lot of good feedback about it not just here but even outside the country. They can offer you as well an app that you can use as an accesport like the cobb ones. 

How much power is your car putting down... I guess it should be around 300awhp? and who tuned it?

I'm surprised about not replacing the boost solenoid, it's usually one of the first things you should do before getting a tune. I'm probably going to throw one on with a fuel pump, where'd you pick up your AEM from?

On 12/05/2020 at 11:01 AM, Greaver said:

The PBMS downpipe is raspy as f***, with a Q300 it drove me made how loud and droney it was. Even with the stock exhaust back on I can still hear rasp... Although its at a bearable level.

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Sweenz said:

How much power is your car putting down... I guess it should be around 300awhp? and who tuned it?

I'm surprised about not replacing the boost solenoid, it's usually one of the first things you should do before getting a tune. I'm probably going to throw one on with a fuel pump, where'd you pick up your AEM from?

The PBMS downpipe is raspy as f***, with a Q300 it drove me made how loud and droney it was. Even with the stock exhaust back on I can still hear rasp... Although its at a bearable level.

Driftsideracing.co.nz had the best price I could find in NZ when I was looking a few months back.

The factory DP, although only 2.5inch, isn't terrible on these as it's at least a proper bellmouth. Mine made 225wkw (301whp) with the stock one decatted and didn't notice much increase in noise with the cat gone, guessing the muffler at the rear of it helps a bunch.