Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2013 Outback 2.5 Head Gasket

cadumilani

Hi guys,

My 2013 2.5l Outback has been overhating, and every time I stopped to let it cool I noticed the coolant is spilled back into the plastic reservoir. Liquid is boiling inside, bubbling though the lower hose coming out of the engine is cool, so it seems there's an air lock blocking coolant. I initially had a new thermostast put in but that dind't fix it, then got a whole new radiator installed but it seems the problem is the head gasket and so now I need to decide whether I want to spend +-4k to fix it. The car is actually in good shape other than that, and it has donw just a bit over 50.000km to date. I am not much experience with the head gasket fix though, if there's a relatively high chance of that fixing the problem for good or I should be contious that even after doing it the problem could stil persist.

If anyone can share their experience, I'd really like to hear your opinion if spending +-4k on a car that 17k seems worth the risk? 

I don't really have the tooling or experience do DIY but am curious of how much a difference that might be. 3.5k for a fix on a car that cost 17k does see like a lot in case the problem comes back in the future though.

• Admin

How on earth does the head gasket fail on a 50000km car :(

Maybe find out how much a complete motor would cost you, you might be surprised. When I cooked the head on my Hilux years ago it was considerably cheaper to buy another motor, especially when you consider that you're paying the labour for the engine to come out and go back in anyway.

• Like 1

I'm considering to buy another motor, might payoff rather than spending huge number of hours worth of service if there's too much to work on. I'll take the car to Subaru to get their diagnose, but will be looking for a second hand motor in the meantime. I reached out to Dodson Autospares, is there any other place I might be able to find a replacement motor?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

I would say ballpark $1000? I feel like a day's labour and a couple of hundred bucks worth of sundries, maybe add a little more on for oil/filter and anything else you decide to freshen up at the time.

On 24/06/2020 at 9:35 AM, boon said:

I would say ballpark $1000? I feel like a day's labour and a couple of hundred bucks worth of sundries, maybe add a little more on for oil/filter and anything else you decide to freshen up at the time.

Thanks Boon, I got word from Subaru that I will indeed need to do the head gasket and so I'm considering more than ever to go with the engine swap. So far I only found a second hand motor for $1750+GST, and got an estimate cost of ~$2k for the engine swap from Subaru themselves. Paying ~4k to have the second hand motor is sounding better than spending even more to fix my original motor and still being at a risk that issues are still there or something like that.

Any recommendations on where to do an engine swap around Auckland would be much appreciated.

• Admin

Your properly prepped and repaired original motor ’might’ still be a smarter move depending on the history of a spare one. Unless of course your one’s got hot enough to warp the heads enough that a skim can't resolve which could be the case but you won't know until it is out of the car.

There’s very little way of knowing when a wrecker one will go so a full replacement one might end up going in 10kkm time.

At least if you repair yours you should be able to get a better gasket that doesn't have the factory NA gasket tendency to go prematurely.