keeweechris

GTB - Oil all through IC

Howzit,

Got a GTB RevB TT and preparing to swap out the big intake pipe due to perished rubber on primary end (common problem I've heard). Took the IC off today, and there was a reasonable amount of oil inside, mainly around the TB outlet and primary inlet. Quite a bit of dirty oily muck all over the PVC piping leading into the intake pipe and primary end of the main intake pipe too. Wheres it coming from and what can I do about it?

I heard that the oil collects in the primary intake end of the intake pipe, and perishes the rubber over time, which is exactly what I have. Seems feasible.

Some pix: https://photos.app.goo.gl/21d9KQeS5PnHuikV8

Cheers for the help!

• Like 1

Howzit,

Got a GTB RevB TT and preparing to swap out the big intake pipe due to perished rubber on primary end (common problem I've heard). Took the IC off today, and there was a reasonable amount of oil inside, mainly around the TB outlet and primary inlet. Quite a bit of dirty oily muck all over the PVC piping leading into the intake pipe and primary end of the main intake pipe too. Wheres it coming from and what can I do about it?

I heard that the oil collects in the primary intake end of the intake pipe, and perishes the rubber over time, which is exactly what I have. Seems feasible.

Some pix: https://photos.app.goo.gl/21d9KQeS5PnHuikV8

Cheers for the help!

Pretty common, wouldn't really worry about it all that much if its not dripping out or too excessive. Its just from the engine oil breather venting into the pre turbo intake pipe then being pushed up into the intercooler.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

yeah reasoably 'normal' it appears

OK, cheers. I was concerned it was a sign of a bung PCV system/valve, or rooted piston rings. But I guess it's not too much oil.

• Like 1

worth asking the question though!

one thing you could do is a catch can (or oil air seperator)

though in a Subaru you need a 4 port catch can (not something off the shelf) that I have seen