Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

03 GT - EJ20X - Stalls on idle & rough

OskarHey

Kia Ora

Looking for abit more of an experienced input on a problem I’m trying to diagnose in my 03 Legacy. 

I have an 03 GT wagon with an EJ20X 2.0L Single Turbo with a auto transmission. Just done a recent general service as gaining ownership recently. Including all new sparks from OEM Partsouq.
Looked for boost leaks and took off intercooler and found nothing strange. 

Car runs smooth under load, boosts beautifully, no hesitation or anything. But when coming to a stop after driving it’ll almost instantly stall 7/10 times. Then after restarting it’ll keep dying. It’ll start go to about 800rpm and then die down slowly and stall until I put load on. Will also die instantly in reverse. 

No CEL or anything. Also when idling the chassis shakes with the motor abit. Possibly engine mounts ? Neither less it doesn’t explain the stalling with is the most frustrating. 

I done the full idle re-learn process suggested after doing the sparks and all. She runs mint. No overheating. Just yeah doesn’t like an idle at all. 

Would love any suggestions or tips if someone’s had similar troubles? If she gets too much of a ballache might take her in. 

19 hours ago, logan25 said:

Clean the throttle butterfly? I had an impreza which was auto but had a terrible idle as well, wanting to cut out when A/C ticked on, cleaned the butterfly and after new idle relearn much better.

sweet as just took of intercooler and about to get into it. She doesn’t really then freely? Haven’t been putting to much movement as I read it’s electronic and could bugger it. Ganna give a clean and update 

Edited by OskarHey

So still have a low rough idle and stalls whenever I come to a stop after driving. Still purrs under load but doesn’t hold idle and is rough and shaky.... I unplugged the O2 while it was holding the low shaky idle and it didn’t change or get worse but just showed CEL. Is this a sign it could be the front o2 at top of down pipe ?? 

or potentially MAF? I done new sparks. Cleaned throttle body and checked for leaks. Anyone know anywhere suitable and reasonable in Auckland mechanic wise? Getting over the embarrassment of stalling 15 times trying to park because it dies as soon as goes into gear.