Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Tuning a WRX vs an STI

Hey guys

I have a 2001 JDM WRX running stock 247bhp. I was planning on taking the vehicle to a tuner and to go downpipe + tune route and was hoping to bump car to 270 - 280bhp and increase response/spool etc.

However, I had the chance to test drive a 2005 WRX STI a few days ago. I was expecting a slight increase in power, but the difference was night and day. The handling, power range, everything just felt so much better. I know the STI is definitely a step up, but I was not expecting it to hit me that hard!

Now I am not sure if it is even worth tuning the car. Thinking of selling it and buying a V7 STI since I have seen them pop up for around the 15k mark.

It is going to cost me 3k to buy my downpipe, get my tune and do a few other little things, and was hoping that there were some others on here who have gone the downpipe/tune route on the WRXs, and could tell me if it does make the car feel totally different, or if I should just get the STI?

How did you find the WRX before and after the tune? Did it feel totally different, or just a little faster but not much different? Do you wish you bought an STI? Or was the increase in power all you ever needed?

Thanks all!

If it's a car you're going to keep/enjoy/modify then probably worth selling and getting an sti  just for the 6 speed box reliability factor.  A stock wrx will still make good gains and drivability when tuned. The good things about those particular cars is you can swap the sti parts and make decent power on them. For example sti injectors, sti turbo, uprated fuel pump, turbo back exhaust system, sti intercooler you should hit that 300hp mark or close to it! There are a couple different models of wrx, some come with bigport heads and some with small port heads. 

That being said @Timmah has a v8 wrx and he's making some decent power around 300whp. Maybe he can chime in and let you know. 

Sti will also hold it's resale value much better

for that price you are getting close to v11 money.

No matter how much money you put in to a car pre 2008 you won't make up for the chassis improvements and door with frames around the windows.

even the stock 2016 shocks are noticeable improvement over 2014 ones fitted to the older car.

No matter what you get you'll still spend money on it anyway.

5 hours ago, Gripless said:

for that price you are getting close to v11 money.

No matter how much money you put in to a car pre 2008 you won't make up for the chassis improvements and door with frames around the windows.

even the stock 2016 shocks are noticeable improvement over 2014 ones fitted to the older car.

No matter what you get you'll still spend money on it anyway.

Not a fan of V11s. Only like up to the Blobeyes so not interested in any past 2005.

I'm more deciding if it is worth me spending 3k to get downpipe, STI intercooler, gauges and tune all done.

Total cost I would have put into car would be 13k, but I am feeling like it is better to spend 15k to get a bugeye sti instead.

That is more what I was trying to get info on. I was hoping so others on here have had their WRXs tuned and was hoping to get some responses from those who have done it :).

2 hours ago, Timmah said:

I replied to your previous thread:

IMO - sell and and get an STi, they have more potential at the end of the day and you'll probably spend more $$ trying to get your WRX to feel like an STi.

Yeah that was what I was thinking. When I originally bought WRX I only had the funds more it, and now part of me wishes I waited and saved for an STI but the WRX is still a good car. I originally bought it for 8k, and have so far put an sti spoiler on it and sti hood scoop which brings total to 9k (had to get them painted).

I was planning on doing the following:

1. X force High Flow Downpipe

2. 3x gauges

3. STI TMIC

4. Tune

Total cost would be 3k including materials and labour and tune, which would mean I would have spent around 12 - 13k on car. It seems like it would be a good car, but compared to an STI I just feel like might be wasting my money

2 hours ago, Bugeye01WRX said:

Not a fan of V11s. Only like up to the Blobeyes so not interested in any past 2005.

I'm more deciding if it is worth me spending 3k to get downpipe, STI intercooler, gauges and tune all done.

Total cost I would have put into car would be 13k, but I am feeling like it is better to spend 15k to get a bugeye sti instead.

I'm not a fan of the look, but I own one and it is so much better,

Everyone I know buys the STI then spends more on it, every generation you go up gets better. So your $15k becomes $18k after you add the downpipes and tune.

STI 6 speed adds plenty of acceleration even without more power. 

Only downside to the STI is squeaky brembo brakes.

• Admin

Well a V9 ’blobeye’ is the smart move to make if that's as new as you’ll go.

There are a huge bunch of improvements between a V7 and V9 that make them much more capable from the get go including the better response from the twinscroll turbo. The facelift interior is quite a lot nicer to look at too.