Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What does a Stage 2 WRX feel like?

Bugeye01WRX

Hey guys

I have a Version 7 WRX that currently runs a stock 200whp and have planned to do following:

Aftermarket Downpipe Install
STI TMIC intercooler install
3x Gauges (oil pressure, temp, A/F wideband - Supplied with adapters and pod)
Walbro 255 fuel pump install
Stage 2 conservative tune around 17 psi.
3 port boost solenoid

I keep tossing and turning between getting a V7 STI or modding my current WRX. I know an STI is going to be better but it would mean having to sell my car and spend probably between 2 - 4k extra to get one.

Will I be disappointed in a stage 2 WRX? I recently drove a Version 8 STI and it just blew my stock WRX out of the water.

I have been told that a tuned WRX will have better torque curve, throttle response and about 30 - 40 more horsepower?

I have never driven a tuned WRX so I was wondering if I am wasting my time with it, or will I be more than happy and getting an STI is overkill?

I should also note that my engine has 202,000km on it which is why I am wanting a conservative tune if I do end up getting it done :).

P.S, if anyone has a Version 7 Bugeye STI for around 12k, I'd be intersted in potentially trading up my WRX :P

Edited by Bugeye01WRX
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Joker said:

@200k Id be weary of throwing any more at it

and there's no such thing as "Stage 2"

One of these is true 😂 seems to be a universal distaste for "stage x" tunes

My V7 was tuned with the same list of parts + a VF30 at 200k and has been beaten on at the track for years now. Sitting on 220k now I think.

If your baseline is solid i.e. a well serviced/healthy engine then the EJ205 can last a while. It just depends how long you want to keep it and if you have the money to replace it when it eventually gives up.

• Like 2

• Admin

Without wanting to be ruthless about it... you don't want to spend $2000-$4000 upgrading to an STI, but you're happy to spend more than that to get a car that is objectively worse than an STI?

Unless you have any particular sentimental attachment to the car, starting with an STI is the best thing you can do.

• Like 3

Agreed, after upgrading my old v7 with @boon leftover bits of Sti, and a bunch of other stuff, then buying an STi, well there is no comparison.

Start with an STi (it will come with an EJ207 thats much happier being beaten up than a 205, decent suspension, decent brakes etc etc)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/09/2020 at 12:32 PM, boon said:

Without wanting to be ruthless about it... you don't want to spend $2000-$4000 upgrading to an STI, but you're happy to spend more than that to get a car that is objectively worse than an STI?

Unless you have any particular sentimental attachment to the car, starting with an STI is the best thing you can do.

hey man

I paid 8k for my WRX, and will end up having spent another 4.5k to go stage 2, with sti spoilers etc. Overall. that is only 12.5k on car.

An V7 sti is generally going to run you 15 - 18k. yes I have seen them pop up for 10 - 12k, but they are generally thrashed or in poor condition. Also, when I eventually go to buy an STI I want a V8 or V9 Blobeye, which will run me around 20 - 25k. Which is a huge difference between an 8k WRX with 4k of mods.

I definitely want an STI, but I do not plan on taking my WRX any further. It be my daily for a few years until I get a house, then I will look to buy an STI. That is why i feel like stage 2 for my WRX will be worth it.

On 14/09/2020 at 10:06 AM, Gripless said:

Get the sti. The newer the better. 
don’t get fixated on a generation get the newest you can afford. 

more gears better brakes and has the intercooler already fitted. active diffs as well even at the same power it’ll walk away from the wrx

I will enetually get an STI, but I am definitely not getting anything past 2005. I am not a fan of Hawkeyes and definintely do not like any from 2008 onwards personally.

I want to get a V8 or V9 Blobeye.

But for the momenet I cannot afford an STI and thus looking at stage 2 for my WRX in the interim for the next 2 or 3 years until I get a house etc :).

On 14/09/2020 at 9:13 AM, calebwrx said:

One of these is true 😂 seems to be a universal distaste for "stage x" tunes

My V7 was tuned with the same list of parts + a VF30 at 200k and has been beaten on at the track for years now. Sitting on 220k now I think.

If your baseline is solid i.e. a well serviced/healthy engine then the EJ205 can last a while. It just depends how long you want to keep it and if you have the money to replace it when it eventually gives up.

Thanks for the response man! Good to see that others have had success at that mileage. I was originally going to do VF30 as well but decided not to as I knew that would push car to about 250whp and I did not want to risk too much power.

Also, it meant another $500 for parts and some extra labour, so I just decided to do DP, Pump and Intercooler and tune to get the horsepower a bit safer (aiming for 280 - 290bhp or 230 - 240whp).

Yeah but the 08 upwards are the biggest leap in Subaru since the BC era. 
they may not be pretty but they are more powerful and way more grippy. 

s*** even the S-GT is pretty good with a sway bar to get rid of the factory softness. 
have you gone for a drive in the newer ones. Sure it’s not the STI but the chassis is stiff compared to the older generations.

or you can add a cage to get 80% or the new chassis improvement.

On 11/09/2020 at 12:17 PM, Bugeye01WRX said:

Hey guys

I have a Version 7 WRX that currently runs a stock 200whp and have planned to do following:

Aftermarket Downpipe Install
STI TMIC intercooler install
3x Gauges (oil pressure, temp, A/F wideband - Supplied with adapters and pod)
Walbro 255 fuel pump install
Stage 2 conservative tune around 17 psi.
3 port boost solenoid

I keep tossing and turning between getting a V7 STI or modding my current WRX. I know an STI is going to be better but it would mean having to sell my car and spend probably between 2 - 4k extra to get one.

Will I be disappointed in a stage 2 WRX? I recently drove a Version 8 STI and it just blew my stock WRX out of the water.

I have been told that a tuned WRX will have better torque curve, throttle response and about 30 - 40 more horsepower?

I have never driven a tuned WRX so I was wondering if I am wasting my time with it, or will I be more than happy and getting an STI is overkill?

I should also note that my engine has 202,000km on it which is why I am wanting a conservative tune if I do end up getting it done :).

P.S, if anyone has a Version 7 Bugeye STI for around 12k, I'd be intersted in potentially trading up my WRX :P

it feels twice as powerful as stage 1

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...