Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

How much does a 5 speed replacement cost?

Bugeye01WRX

Hey guys

Planning on doing a tune soon to my Bugeye WRX. Vehicle has done 200,000km so I know that putting more power into an old trans may eventually cause it to go bang. I am only planning on running roughly 230 - 240whp on a conservative tune (currently running 200whp), so I am not planning on pushing insane power.

But it got me thinking that I should put some money aside incase the tranny blows which I know it will eventually.

Question is, how much does a standard 5 speed costs to fix? Is replacing it with a second hand one or rebuilding the current one better? If it blows, is there a slightly better transmission that can be put in the car that is not too much more expensive? I am not planning on swapping in an STI trans because at that point I would just buy an STI, I just wanna make sure that after tuning I have some funds set aside incase the trans goes bang.

I also notice that when shifting gears, it sometimes makes a little "ting noise." It usually only happens from 3rd - 4th and 4th to 5th but sometimes as well when downshifting to 2nd. I noticed this noise when I got car actually over a year ago, but sometimes it is more prevalent. I don't know if anyone knows what that means? There is no crunch, and no noises other than when changing gear.

Thanks all!

Anywhere from $200-700 is about typical for a 5-speed.

As long as you don’t drive it like a muppet and know how to change gear properly it will be fine. The 5-speed typically only breaks from abuse and/or putting a ridiculously aggressive clutch in. 

The “ting” could possibly be that the synchros are getting a little tired. I’ve never heard it described as a “ting” before but usually when the synchros get worn you can feel the gears engaging poorly through the gear knob (or hear a slight grind/crunch). If you move it into the next gear more slowly it should help them do their job better. Changing the transmission fluid also may help them last a bit longer.

It is fairly common for the synchros to wear out over time in both the 5 and 6 speed gearboxes.

• Like 2

• General Member

& next step would be a 6-Speed (+ associated costs & equipment starter & drive shaft etc)

I do understand 5 Speeds from a certain era on are worth looking for as the changed the construction slightly (more for race application / constant throttle abuse etc) obv's anything with less kays is always more ideal

Does the WRX still come with a 5 speed manual? That might be an option... the GC and bugeye 5 speeds are soo old now and Subaru do not make parts for them... so "fixing" means replacing with more old parts.

Otherwise you are looking at a recent 6 speed sti gearbox or buying an aftermarket gearset for the 5 speed. Both options will be very expensive. 8 to 10 k when all said and done with the sti 6 speed... more for the aftermarket gearset.

Edited by Loren
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, IZichard said:

Anywhere from $200-700 is about typical for a 5-speed.

As long as you don’t drive it like a muppet and know how to change gear properly it will be fine. The 5-speed typically only breaks from abuse and/or putting a ridiculously aggressive clutch in. 

The “ting” could possibly be that the synchros are getting a little tired. I’ve never heard it described as a “ting” before but usually when the synchros get worn you can feel the gears engaging poorly through the gear knob (or hear a slight grind/crunch). If you move it into the next gear more slowly it should help them do their job better. Changing the transmission fluid also may help them last a bit longer.

It is fairly common for the synchros to wear out over time in both the 5 and 6 speed gearboxes.

Cheers man! I look after my car, never launch and try and shift as smooth as I can.

Yeah, I don't quite know how to describe it. The gears don't engage poorly at all and shifting slower actually makes it more pronounced. The faster I shift, the less I notice the sound and sometimes not at all and there is definitely no grind or crunch.

SO around $200 - $700 for a 5 speed? What about labour costs as I don't have the expertise quite yet to put it in myself.

2 hours ago, Joker said:

& next step would be a 6-Speed (+ associated costs & equipment starter & drive shaft etc)

I do understand 5 Speeds from a certain era on are worth looking for as the changed the construction slightly (more for race application / constant throttle abuse etc) obv's anything with less kays is always more ideal

So can I put a 5 speed from say a Hawkeye WRX in? Or are the ratios etc all different?

1 hour ago, Loren said:

Does the WRX still come with a 5 speed manual? That might be an option... the GC and bugeye 5 speeds are soo old now and Subaru do not make parts for them... so "fixing" means replacing with more old parts.

Otherwise you are looking at a recent 6 speed sti gearbox or buying an aftermarket gearset for the 5 speed. Both options will be very expensive. 8 to 10 k when all said and done with the sti 6 speed... more for the aftermarket gearset.

Hi, thanks for the reply! I would not bother putting in an expensive aftermarket gearbox in as I'd just buy an STI at that point.

So if my Bugeye 5 speed broke, what is the best option at the lowest price? Is getting another 5 speed box off a wrecked vehicle not a good idea since they are old as well?

What would you recommend?

Cheers

When was the last time the gearbox had fresh oil?

Looks like used a 5 spd box if/when required (I've never had any issues with the 5spd, but I dont beat them either), throwing in a whole gearbox is a lot easier than ripping one apart to replace things, or spend a healthy chunk of $ on a 6spd STi swap

I suspect your wallet has the answer you seek

Edit: That 6th gear is no use in a daily driver, is cool etc. but 100Kph in 6th isn't a happy place for your car, and doesn't realize any fuel savings. Pushing the boat out at track day is the only place it will get used, legally anyway 

Edited by Bugle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bugeye01WRX said:

Cheers man! I look after my car, never launch and try and shift as smooth as I can.

Yeah, I don't quite know how to describe it. The gears don't engage poorly at all and shifting slower actually makes it more pronounced. The faster I shift, the less I notice the sound and sometimes not at all and there is definitely no grind or crunch.

SO around $200 - $700 for a 5 speed? What about labour costs as I don't have the expertise quite yet to put it in myself.

Maybe look at if the noise is coming from the clutch pedal or the gear linkage. It’s pretty hard for me to speculate without hearing it. If the shift is still smooth I probably wouldn’t worry about it.

I would say 3-6hours depending on how quick they are and if there are any rusted fasteners on the turbo or downpipe.

1 hour ago, Bugle said:

Edit: That 6th gear is no use in a daily driver, is cool etc. but 100Kph in 6th isn't a happy place for your car, and doesn't realize any fuel savings. Pushing the boat out at track day is the only place it will get used, legally anyway 

6th gear in my v7 STi is almost the exact same overall ratio as 5th in a 4.444 5-speed. It is definitely usable on the street within the speed limit.

Not really on topic though as the question was about the 5-speed.

15 minutes ago, IZichard said:

Maybe look at if the noise is coming from the clutch pedal or the gear linkage. It’s pretty hard for me to speculate without hearing it. If the shift is still smooth I probably wouldn’t worry about it.

I would say 3-6hours depending on how quick they are and if there are any rusted fasteners on the turbo or downpipe.

6th gear in my v7 STi is almost the exact same overall ratio as 5th in a 4.444 5-speed. It is definitely usable on the street within the speed limit.

Thanks man! And yeah even if you don't use 6th speed, you still get the smaller ratios which makes driving more fun.

So I am putting money aside right now incase my trans blows. What should I be looking to get? Should I just buy a used 2005 wrx trans? Or should I upgrade it to something else? Or is it better to rebuild?

1 hour ago, IZichard said:

As we stray further off topic, no idea what the ratio is in my v11 spec c but 100Kph in 6th is sub 2000 RPM. Extra forward momentum requires a shift down unless you have knitting to finish or an insect to shoo out of the c**kpit to pass the time 

4 hours ago, Bugeye01WRX said:

So I am putting money aside right now incase my trans blows. What should I be looking to get? Should I just buy a used 2005 wrx trans? Or should I upgrade it to something else? Or is it better to rebuild?

Putting money aside for when the gearbox blows doesn't sound like a great idea as it might never blow. You'd be better off having a general fund for maintenance and repairs... you have an old car and there's a lot of things that could need work before the gearbox.

How big should that fund be? As much as you can afford :)

As said... you can pick up a 5 speed for a few hundred... are they any good? who knows. You need to make sure the final drive is correct as well.

BTW I know a guy in Wellington that has a stock pile of 5 speeds he doesn't want any more..

Edited by Loren
  • Like 2

On 23/09/2020 at 5:32 PM, Loren said:

Putting money aside for when the gearbox blows doesn't sound like a great idea as it might never blow. You'd be better off having a general fund for maintenance and repairs... you have an old car and there's a lot of things that could need work before the gearbox.

How big should that fund be? As much as you can afford :)

As said... you can pick up a 5 speed for a few hundred... are they any good? who knows. You need to make sure the final drive is correct as well.

BTW I know a guy in Wellington that has a stock pile of 5 speeds he doesn't want any more..

Hi

I would be keen to get a 5 speed off him myself. Can you put me in touch! Cheers