Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Version 7 vs Version 8 STI

Impala67

Hey all

I am in the market for either one of these STIs. Have a WRX and wanting to upgrade.

I was pretty set on the Version 8 STI as I feel like the blobeye looks the absolute best in my opinion but after looking at both options, I am a bit torn.

A few things:

Bugeye STIs are about 5k cheaper

I love the boxer Rumble and UEL Headers which I am told the V8 does not have and that is a big down for me. I looked into replacing the headers but research is telling me it is a lot of money to go backwards and also not a good idea for the twin scroll etc.

I am only looking at making 350whp for a daily

I heard the twin scroll can make sourcing aftermarket DPs etc harder to find

Version 7 Engine is forged vs Hyper for the V8.

So now I am torn between buying a Bugeye STI or Blobeye. Can anyone with the blobeye tell me if the blobeye still has a great sounding exhaust or does it really lose that boxer sound?

I do like Bugeye's and I would probably end up getting some Morette's for them if I went with a bugeye or just doing a front end conversion and having a Bugeye with a blobeye front.

I was hoping others could tell me what the better purchase is? Also, I see Bugeyes go for between 10 - 20k. How much should I really be paying if I want a decent one and not a thrashed/crappy one?

Thanks!

Bugeye's are special, they were the ugly girl next door when they came out, now she's all grown up, everyone thinks she's super hot and wants some 🤣

Morette's for the bugeye are out of production now and painfully rare/expensive, later years have HID which look and go ok, the original 2000 models have non HID headlights which are a bit average. There are other aftermarket options but there are also things you wont get a warrant with

I thought everything up to Hawkeye had UEL, but I am often wrong

Im on my second bugeye.

The noise is better and the single scroll turbo gives a nice kick when you enter the power band, feels a lot more raw. Personally I think they look better too.

I just got a low kms v7 sti sedan un thrashed (from what I can tell) and in good condition for 17k which is cheap compared to others. They are going up in value too.

I thought all WRX's had UEL's until after Version 9 (Hawkeye's) then the JDM line, all the 2 Litre WRX STI's, S-GT's etc had equal length, and the AUDM, NZDM, USDM 2.5 Litre variants had equal length? Could be wrong.

While all WRX STI's are increasing in value pretty rapidly, the Blobeye will undoubtedly be increasing more and have more value in the future since they're a lot less common than V7's (Which seem to be everywhere). You'll pay more but I reckon it's a better trade-off and a better looking car!

Edited by Shibe

Having owned two blobeyes and one prodrive bug, all tuned to the same power on paper, I can say confidently the blob eye hands down. 

I was initially like and you and thought single scroll the world, amazing sound etc. 

But seriously, you cannot beat the response and street fun element of a good twin scroll setup like in the blobs. Holy moly my last one was probably the best car i've ever owned in terms of all round fun. 230kw, but wow when that twin scroll turbo hits, and you keep it in the power band, she's a good time. 

Honestly with a good exhaust, the twin scroll subis actually sound amazing. I am now a convert haha. If i had to pick either or, definitely blob. Would be nice to have both though :D 

I do have some vids. Will post up a youtube clip sometime soon 

• Like 1

• Admin

Sparknotes: v7 has the best shortblock, arguably literally everything else on a v8 is better.

"Only looking at 350whp" = budget about $10000 for getting there. More if you go v8.

If you want that much power then who gives a turd what the turbo set up is, you'll be putting that on trademe anyway, so the twinscroll/singlescroll/UEL/EL thing is moot because you'll likely be replacing all of that, unless of course you go v8 in which case the stock headers are pretty awesome anyway.

EDIT: For what it's worth, EL Singlescroll and EL Twinscroll sound pretty much the same to me :/

1 hour ago, boon said:

From the factory, AFAIK, all twinscroll Subarus are EL, and all single scrolls are UEL. 

EL is  an integral part of the twinscroll system... so yes.

1 hour ago, boon said:

NZ New STIs were 2.5 single scroll UEL, JDM -v7 was single scroll UEL, JDM v8 onward got 2.0 twinscroll.

I think this is true... NZ spec STi were 2.5 single scroll... JDM spec STi 2.0 twin scroll... there are some Singapore spec 2.0 STi single scroll around too.

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Loren said:

EL is  an integral part of the twinscroll system... so yes.

Solely as a big turbo nerd, it's not an intrinsic fact of twinscroll though, is it? Like... if you really wanted to, you could make a UEL twinscroll header?

8 minutes ago, boon said:

Solely as a big turbo nerd, it's not an intrinsic fact of twinscroll though, is it? Like... if you really wanted to, you could make a UEL twinscroll header?

Yes it is... integral means intrinsic in this case. A twin scroll turbo without a twin scroll header would essentially not be a twin scroll system. Pulse isolation is a big part of the system... you only get that with EL.

Edited by Loren

• Admin
6 minutes ago, boon said:

Tomei have made a UEL header setup for twin scroll FA’s but it doesn't have anything like the usual UEL sound

• Admin
25 minutes ago, Loren said:

Yes it is... integral means intrinsic in this case. A twin scroll turbo without a twin scroll header would essentially not be a twin scroll system. Pulse isolation is a big part of the system... you only get that with EL.

Assuming we're talking about the same thing... you could totally make a UEL twinscroll header, with exactly the same pulse isolation. Two cylinders on one scroll, two cylinders on the other, just different length runners.

A fair few 6 cylinder twinscroll manifolds out there in RB/JZ world are clearly not equal length, but have 3 cylinders per scroll and are definitely twin scroll.

1 hour ago, boon said:

Assuming we're talking about the same thing... you could totally make a UEL twinscroll header, with exactly the same pulse isolation. Two cylinders on one scroll, two cylinders on the other, just different length runners.

It's more complex than that... there are two pipes in the up pipe yes... but each one of those pipe connects to two exhaust ports... so if the lengths are not equal, the pulses will still collide when they get to the up pipe.

Edited by Loren