Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Stage 1 vs Stage 2?

Impala67

Hey guys

I was planning to stage 2 my bugeye WRX with 210,000km on it but after talking to heaps of people, browsing through the forums etc it seems the best consensus is to just buy an STI.

I cannot afford to get an STI for probably 2 years so I am going to have the WRX for 2 years.

I have 3 options:

1. Leave it stock (I enjoy car but I really want more out of it).

2. Get a basic Stage 1 reflash tune and not put anything aftermarket on.

3. GO stage 2 and do the following:

- Aftermarket downpipe install

- Aftermarket STI TMIC

- Walbro 255 pump

- 3 port EBCS

Along with this I would be putting on 3 aftermarket gauges

- Innovate Wideband Lc-2

- Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature Gauge

The things I am tossing up in my head right now are the following:

1. Will stage 2 be too hard on the engine, especially at that amount of kms?

2. I have seen that stage 2 gains are roughly 30 - 50hp. What would stage 1 gains be like? Car is currently 247hp stock so will I be happy with a stage 1 tune or will I feel like it is a waste and should have just gone stage 2.

3. The reason I am considering just stage 1 is to put money towards STI but for something a little nicer than stock until I get one. Is it worth it?

4. Are aftermarket gauges worth actually putting on car if you are stock or even stage 1? I actually already have all the parts needed and yes I could sell them but I'd probably lose money on them and I could eventually use them on my STI.

5. For my amount of kms, would stage 1 be better for a Daily Driver and reliability? It is my daily driver so I am also thinking about potential issues and not having a car, so Stage 1 might be better for that?

I guess I was wondering, once I get a stage 1 tune, is it worth putting gauges on as well? Or even worth putting them on if I don't decide to tune it?

Sorry for the long post, I am EXTREMELY picky and like to research lots and I find it hard to settle on something.

• Admin

Nobody in NZ does "Stages". It's a US term where they're all about getting a Cobb Accessport out and flashing the exact same tune on 500 cars with exactly the same parts on them.

I wouldn't bother doing anything if you're planning to get rid of it. By the time you "stage 2" it, and add some broadly pointless gauges, you're already spending... let's see... north of $3000. That's $3000 towards an STI, that will kill the crap out of a "Stage 2" WRX.

Aftermarket gauges are basically pointless. It's 2020, either let the ECU do it's job, or if you need to monitor the car better than the ECU can, get an aftermarket ECU and let that do its job. If something goes pearshaped, it's already pearshaped, knowing that your oil pressure just went through the floor almost certainly isn't going to stop your car going nogga nogga nogga.... 

If you have to do something to it, get some nice rims and decent tyres. Assuming you stay with a V8 (pretty certain it was V9 when it changed to 5x114.3) or earlier STI, it has the same PCD so you can change your rims over onto your new car when you buy it. Just make sure whatever you buy will clear Brembos. Likewise maybe some suspension goodies, just make sure they'll transfer.

You could start buying other parts that will work on your future vehicle, but arguably they either won't do much at all or will actually make the car worse without a tune.

• Like 1

• Admin

Just checking, but about 6 weeks ago you were asking about a catback to fit the 3" downpipe that's already fitted on your 2003 WRX?

So now you have an... earlier WRX... that is stock?

EDIT EDIT: Are you Bugeye01WRX?

14 minutes ago, boon said:

Just checking, but about 6 weeks ago you were asking about a catback to fit the 3" downpipe that's already fitted on your 2003 WRX?

So now you have an... earlier WRX... that is stock?

EDIT EDIT: Are you Bugeye01WRX?

Sorry I meant to say that the DP was going to go on the vehicle with the tune. That High Flow pipe is the one I would have been putting on my mistake and above should have been 2002 I typed it in a rush while working... Will update thanks for pointing that out cheers!

In answer to your above statements:

I always thought that an Oil Pressure and Boost gauge were very useful. I was always told that if your pressure drops you can instantly stop and prevent major damage compared to if you didn't have it and things would go boom since you were not aware. I would only be putting a Prosport JDM Oil Pressure and Temp Gauge in not the Wideband if I went stage 1. Also I love how they look in cars.

Yeah you are basically on the money.

Then I had rough quotes done through a few tuners and the price was averagely 2 - 2.5k for a tune, install of all items etc

Yeah definitely that would be a good 2.5k towards and STI I kinda just feel a bit comitted since I have all the parts now. I mean I could use the DP on the STI so no issue keeping it for a couple years and I'd put the innovate gauge on an STI but having gauges sit around unused for a few years feels bad.

That is why I was considering selling the DP, selling gauge, and just getting a retune for around $1,000.

No I don't know what Bugeye01WRX is sorry.

Edited by Impala67

2 minutes ago, boon said:

Something is completely fishy here. Why do you have 3 accounts?

100% honest, because I ask so many damn questions that people get pissed off with me. I get super stressed about s*** and I can't help it it is just who I am so I having multiple profiles made me feel less like a stupid idiot.

But I understand if you need to remove them

• Admin

The point of these forums is to ask stupid questions :P You just have to wade through all the stupid answers.

When people have 3 accounts with slightly random-looking email addresses associated with them it SCREAMS scammer or spammer at me. I don't really think you're either, but you're sketching me the hell out regardless.

I think you're actually a MASSIVELY keen but quite young person who loves to yarn about cars and dream big about what you're going to do to them. Been there myself a while ago. But the multiple profiles thing is weird AF.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, boon said:

The point of these forums is to ask stupid questions :P You just have to wade through all the stupid answers.

When people have 3 accounts with slightly random-looking email addresses associated with them it SCREAMS scammer or spammer at me. I don't really think you're either, but you're sketching me the hell out regardless.

I think you're actually a MASSIVELY keen but quite young person who loves to yarn about cars and dream big about what you're going to do to them. Been there myself a while ago. But the multiple profiles thing is weird AF.

Hey man thanks for saying that I can ask stupid questions :). Yeah I totally get that I just never looked at it like that I was more embarrassed. This is my first performance car and I have learnt a lot in the last year but always learning, doing things and trying new things.

Is there a way to delete accounts? I can just keep this one and wipe the others there are no secrets now.

Sorry to sketch you out man everyone in here is super friendly and helpful!

• Like 1

• Admin

People asking questions is what drives a good forum. How else do you get knowledge out of people? Every now and then some super helpful person writes a "how to" or something and that's glorious but they're few and far between.

• Like 2