Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

WRX splitter with STI Scoop?

Hey guys

I have a V7 WRX and put a Version 8 STI Scoop on the vehicle about 6 months ago. Because the Scoop was much bigger, I decided to take off the splitter as I thought a lot of air would bypass the Duct and not even touch the intercooler.

However, been reading and it seems like that is not a good thing to do? I have been running without a splitter for 6 months and car has had 0 problems, but is this bad long term?

Also, can you use the WRX Splitter while I have an STI Scoop? Is it better than having no splitter at all?

I have a stock WRX intercooler.

Cheers

If it didnt need a splitter it would not have left the factory with one, I'd put the WRX one back in

Match the intercooler with the splitter (vs the scoop with the splitter) is my go to. The scoop just gets the air from outside to inside, the splitter and the intercooler do the mahi

You need to have something to divert the air down through the intercooler and under the car... even if you didn't have a tmic,

you still need the air to be diverted under the car. If you have no splitter the air just hits the firewall and creates a high pressure

zone, meaning the air coming through the radiator at the front of the car, can't flow nicely ...and I bet if you hit the track it would

cause over heating. Happened to me... no tmic... took splitter out... caused temp issues.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Loren said:

You need to have something to divert the air down through the intercooler and under the car... even if you didn't have a tmic,

you still need the air to be diverted under the car. If you have no splitter the air just hits the firewall and creates a high pressure

zone, meaning the air coming through the radiator at the front of the car, can't flow nicely ...and I bet if you hit the track it would

cause over heating. Happened to me... no tmic... took splitter out... caused temp issues.

Cheers I'll put the splitter back on tonight.

Any long term issues the more I read the more worried I get as a lot of posts are saying that most of the air wont even be going through the intercooler and I have been driving without it for 6 months! I just hope I have caused lots of wear on my engine or turbo etc?

The car has had no issues last 6 months so would I have noticed if there were issues already?

But I will put it on going forward

2 hours ago, Bugle said:

If it didnt need a splitter it would not have left the factory with one, I'd put the WRX one back in

Match the intercooler with the splitter (vs the scoop with the splitter) is my go to. The scoop just gets the air from outside to inside, the splitter and the intercooler do the mahi

Yeah I should have realised I just thought the bigger scoop and having the WRX splitter was pointless but I see I made a big mistake.

It has been like this for 6 months, would I have caused any long term damage? Or would it just have caused power loss if there was issues with cooling?

Long term damage... Every time the crank goes around you are doing long term damage lol

If it wasnt overheating it was running within tolerances, put the splitter back in, chalk it up as a learning experience and enjoy your bugeye

Edited by Bugle

52 minutes ago, Bugle said:

Long term damage... Every time the crank goes around you are doing long term damage lol

If it wasnt overheating it was running within tolerances, put the splitter back in, chalk it up as a learning experience and enjoy your bugeye

Haha good point! What would indicate that it was overheating btw? The factory temperature gauge on the dash?

Yeah will do I am getting vehicle reflashed in 4 weeks super excited so finding out I have been running my car wrong was a kick to the stomach haha.

But basically I can stop worrying about any damage as if anything was wrong I would have noticed a loss in power right? Also if it was running hot and pre ignition was occuring the ECU would retard the timing/richen the mixture correct?

So if the vehicle was not getting cooled properly then the ECU would I guess prevent engine damage to an extent? Am I correct there?

1 hour ago, Bugeye01WRX said:

Haha good point! What would indicate that it was overheating btw? The factory temperature gauge on the dash?

That seems like the obvious thing, but you'd be surprised how hot you can get the motor before the factory gauge even moves.

An aftermarket gauge would be better... but in your case I'd say not knowing anything would be better as you tend to panic

quite easily.

1 hour ago, Bugeye01WRX said:

But basically I can stop worrying about any damage as if anything was wrong I would have noticed a loss in power right? Also if it was running hot and pre ignition was occuring the ECU would retard the timing/richen the mixture correct?

So if the vehicle was not getting cooled properly then the ECU would I guess prevent engine damage to an extent? Am I correct there?

There is no way removing the splitter would cause overheating while casually driving along... even on the dyno it would not do

anything... but get out on the track with constant high load and high speed... that's where you might find you can only do a few 

laps at a time before the water temp is climbing too high.

I don't think the factory computer would save you from overheating either... an aftermarket computer can do anything you want.

24 minutes ago, Loren said:

That seems like the obvious thing, but you'd be surprised how hot you can get the motor before the factory gauge even moves.

An aftermarket gauge would be better... but in your case I'd say not knowing anything would be better as you tend to panic

quite easily.

There is no way removing the splitter would cause overheating while casually driving along... even on the dyno it would not do

anything... but get out on the track with constant high load and high speed... that's where you might find you can only do a few 

laps at a time before the water temp is climbing too high.

I don't think the factory computer would save you from overheating either... an aftermarket computer can do anything you want.

Cheers man yeah I do panic it is part of my personality can't help it haha. Oh well that makes me feel better yeah I can put the splitter back on no stress I was only worrying about long term damage or any damage I could have done. Reason I was stressing was I asked my tuner and he said that it could cause detonation and knocking and I might not hear it and think everything is fine.

Yeah I considered getting an intake temp gauge actually and I am also tossing up between putting an STI intercooler on.

I have it sitting there and car is getting reflashed in 4 weeks so might just get the intercooler put on at the same time.

Edited by Bugeye01WRX

6 minutes ago, Loren said:

Actually I wasn't even thinking about your tmic :)

So yeah even worse not having the splitter as your intake charge will be hotter than it should be, causing detonation :)

Oh jesus now I feel worse again. So you saying that the 6 months or so of driving without it could be causing detonation?

Is there anyway to know if I have done damage? Any tests or anything I can get looked at to see?

2 hours ago, Bugeye01WRX said:

Oh jesus now I feel worse again. So you saying that the 6 months or so of driving without it could be causing detonation?

Probably not... still on the factory tune with loads of safe guards.

2 hours ago, Bugeye01WRX said:

Is there anyway to know if I have done damage? Any tests or anything I can get looked at to see?

Well you can pull the motor apart and look at the condition of the bearings... but you'd probably just see 200,000 km of wear

more than anything.

You could also stick an endoscope into the spark plugs holes to check for pitting on the piston crowns.

I doubt you have done any damage.

3 hours ago, Loren said:

Probably not... still on the factory tune with loads of safe guards.

Well you can pull the motor apart and look at the condition of the bearings... but you'd probably just see 200,000 km of wear

more than anything.

You could also stick an endoscope into the spark plugs holes to check for pitting on the piston crowns.

I doubt you have done any damage.

3 hours ago, Loren said:

Haha thanks for  answering my queries. I'll do my best to move on and try to forget about it and look forward to getting car tuned in 4 weeks :).

Last question, if the engine was detonating and I have not noticed any adverse affects yet, if I fix the issue then I should hopefully be all good going forawrd? I understand the engine can go boom at anytime tho so gotta be prepared for that.

13 hours ago, Bugeye01WRX said:

Not quite going back to study next yeat and have decided to just spend $1,000 and get a retune. That'll do me until I can get an STI in a few years.

Oh you could just keep the $1000 and not bother with the retune?