Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Intercooler Upgrade for custom tune?

Hey guys!!

I'll Try to keep this short.

Getting a custom tune in a 2 weeks which would be akin to the US "stage 1," so not doing any aftermarket parts like downpipe etc.

At this point I am doing just a reflash and upgrading fuel pump.

Only thing I am still tossing between is if there is any point in upgrading the intercooler to an STI one? I have one but if it is a waste of time then I wont bother doing it as I can save the funds. Also, I read that the STI intercooler can sometimes wear through the AC lines. I mentioned this to my tuner but he had never heard of it which concerns me.

Car will be roughly 270 - 280bhp once it is tuned from tuners estimates but obviously every car is different. Basically will be a 20 - 30hp increase over stock for my bugeye.

I already have an STI TMIC in my garage and also have the Version 8 scoop fitted to car because I like the look.

I would only put the STI TMIC on car if it is worth it otherwise I wont bother. At those levels of power on a TD04, probably running around 16 - 17psi after tune, is the stock WRX intercooler more than fine?

Also, pressure drop I heard is 2-3 psi.

Does anyone know if the STI TMIC is better?

I don't have a splitter yet tho so would have to buy one of those if fitting the TMIC is worth it.

Thanks!

• Admin

Have you resolved the massive oil consumption issue yet?

No point running the STI intercooler if you don't have the splitter.

Never heard of the AC lines thing either.

EDIT: Ugh why are you still using multiple accounts? Choose one and stick with it or I'll ban all of them.

EDIT2: And using a VPN or something? What in the f*** is going on here? WHY ARE YOU STILL LOGGING IN TO ALL 3 ACCOUNTS AFTER YOU WERE SNAPPED AND SAID YOU WOULD STOP DOING THAT?

2 hours ago, boon said:

Have you resolved the massive oil consumption issue yet?

No point running the STI intercooler if you don't have the splitter.

Never heard of the AC lines thing either.

EDIT: Ugh why are you still using multiple accounts? Choose one and stick with it or I'll ban all of them.

EDIT2: And using a VPN or something? What in the f*** is going on here? WHY ARE YOU STILL LOGGING IN TO ALL 3 ACCOUNTS AFTER YOU WERE SNAPPED AND SAID YOU WOULD STOP DOING THAT?

Crap sorry! I wrote this post from work which was automatically logged into that account! I was told I could merge them so I'll sort that out tonight.

Oil consumption has been fine I had car cleaned recently and it is getting looked at next week to see where the small leak is and I'll sort it then but it is a very small leak.

Definitely not using a VPN sorry i logged in from work today but as I said, my apologies will get it sorted tonight!

2 hours ago, ginganinja said:

If you don't end up using the STI TMIC I could be interested in buying it if it is in tidy condition.

Hey mate will let you know if I end up using it :). At this point it is probably going to be not using it. It is in pretty good nick could send photos for you if I don't end up using it.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/01/2021 at 10:58 PM, Timmah said:

Who is your tuner? They'd know if it's worth going to a STi intercooler.. probably not so much on the TD04, that and the WRX scoop probably isn't tall enough..

Will be interested to see your dyno plot to compare against mine

Hey man got it tuned by WRC Developments. Graham was fantastic!

No description available.

Made an awesome 302hp (222kw) on a custom tune with stock intercooler, stock turbo and stock downpipe, up from the 240hp it was.

Pretty happy with outcome!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Bugeye01WRX said:

Hey man got it tuned by WRC Developments. Graham was fantastic!

No description available.

Made an awesome 302hp (222kw) on a custom tune with stock intercooler, stock turbo and stock downpipe, up from the 240hp it was.

Pretty happy with outcome!

Sh*t yeah that's awesome! Enjoy :)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, boon said:

whp? From a TD04? What was the TCF on the dyno, that's a crazy number.

The top left corner of the sheet says flywheel torque, hp and kw. So maybe its not at wheels. 

Even so thats still very good number from a TD04. I have a friend in aussie with v7 wrx with a vf48 on it and sti intercooler and only made 176kw at wheels.

Edited by ginganinja

• Admin
18 minutes ago, ginganinja said:

The top left corner of the sheet says flywheel torque, hp and kw. So maybe its not at wheels. 

Even so thats still very good number from a TD04. I have a friend in aussie with v7 wrx with a vf48 on it and sti intercooler and only made 176kw at wheels.

So it does, good spotting. Quick maths says this one probably approx. 177wkw. As you say, still a good number from a TD04.

6 hours ago, boon said:

whp? From a TD04? What was the TCF on the dyno, that's a crazy number.

No that is at the flywheel so 250whp roughly I think, used a bhp to who converted so could be slightly different. Not sure on the TCF sorry.

Still extremely happy with it.

5 hours ago, ginganinja said:

Hi there yeah it is flywheel, but really stoked with it on a stock TD04 and engine with 205,000km. Car feels really good, smoother and just much nicer to drive. The biggest improvement tho is car pulls all the way until 6,250 rpm, whereas before it peaked somewhere between 5k - 5,500. Having that awesome feeling of the car hitting 5.5krpm and it still pulling harder is definitely an awesome feeling :D.

8 hours ago, Timmah said:

Sh*t yeah that's awesome! Enjoy :)

Thanks man yeah completely new car love it!

Edited by Bugeye01WRX