Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

GCG Bolt on turbos

ginganinja

2 hours ago, ginganinja said:

If not the VF22. out of interest what would you recommend for around 230-250kw.

I personally don't think any VF turbo will make that power... not on your motor in any case. If I was you I would be looking for the most modern VF bolt on turbo available.

I would say you'll get better spool, better mid range torque and... probably be just as good up top... and if it's slightly less up top... who cares as it's a tiny little turbo that dies rapidly past 6500 rpm anyway.

12 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

It's the comp and turbine wheel sizes. 53mm comp inducer and 53mm turbine exducer.

^ My understanding too

What was Niran's old set up making, whatever the v12 sti run VF wise + water meth was ~250 from memory. That's probably the most i've seen a VF make, but W/M does comes with other issues.

Edited by pl0x

• Admin
1 minute ago, pl0x said:

^ My understanding too

What was Niran's old set up making, whatever the v12 sti run VF wise + water meth was ~250 from memory.

The V11’s with the TS VF49 or SS whatever it is, make 225wkw with very little effort, or 230+ depending on some other factors. The factory SS headers are trash so people pick up a fair bit when swapping them out. 

I feel like Niran’s one already had moderate cams aswell which would have helped.

I have spoken with Diesel and turbo in wellington and just found out some further information. IHI build a VF48 Performance which has a larger billet compressor wheel compared to the standard VF48. It is similar size to the VF22 possibly bigger. But it is a journal bearing turbo. So that could be another option for a late model factory turbo.

https://www.ihi.co.jp/itsj/en/products/high_performance/vf48/

https://www.full-race.com/store/subaru/gr-wrx-sti-lgt-2008-2017/gr-wrx-sti-ej25-recommended-turbos/ihi-performance-vf48-high-flow-turbo-upgrade-for-04-19-sti-and-04-07-wrx/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ginganinja said:

I have spoken with Diesel and turbo in wellington and just found out some further information. IHI build a VF48 Performance which has a larger billet compressor wheel compared to the standard VF48. It is similar size to the VF22 possibly bigger. But it is a journal bearing turbo. So that could be another option for a late model factory turbo.

https://www.ihi.co.jp/itsj/en/products/high_performance/vf48/

https://www.full-race.com/store/subaru/gr-wrx-sti-lgt-2008-2017/gr-wrx-sti-ej25-recommended-turbos/ihi-performance-vf48-high-flow-turbo-upgrade-for-04-19-sti-and-04-07-wrx/

very nice. should come in a bit under $2000 delivered from full-race. Did Diesel and Turbo have a price?

17 minutes ago, Loren said:

very nice. should come in a bit under $2000 delivered from full-race. Did Diesel and Turbo have a price?

Diesel and turbo quoted $2125 incl gst. Which I thought is reasonable for a genuine OEM upgraded item.

It is journal bearing, but is there really that much difference in the torque curve between journal and ball bearing turbos this small? To clarify my thoughts would a journal bearing bring torque on more progressively compared to the spike you get with the likes of the VF22? Or is that thinking totally up the whack.

19 minutes ago, Gripless said:

That sounds pretty good, but seems like Steve March would do similar and built form an old turbo would be cheaper since you already have the core.

But that could mean waiting for some time I've heard. Also does he replace the whole core? Or just the wheels and bearings?. 

I know I've read differently on another thread in this forum, but both alltech and Diesel and turbo said the ball bearing cores of VF22 can't be rebuilt. However apparently IHI turbo parts are hard to get so this could be why.

Since we are on the topic I may as well post this. During my research I have found this company in America which seems legitimate from their eBay listings that sells IHI core assemblies.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IHI-RHF5HB-Turbo-CHRA-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-STi-EJ20-EJ20G-EJ20E-F52CAD-S0065C/174155135097?pageci=09efe7a1-10de-41da-9304-9489304e2398

Pretty sure my VF22 P20 rear housing would go straight onto this. The VF22 front cover is too big, but would a VF28 compressor slide on with some machining????  No doubt the machining would need to be perfect! End result would be almost a VF34. Dont think I will be going down this track but while I was researching and throwing ideas around last night I thought it was interesting all the same.

Another random idea.......... is it possible to machine the P20 ball bearing exhaust housing to fit the likes of that journal bearing VF48 high flow turbo. It probably defeats the purpose of what the pros at IHI sort out to achieve with the VF48.

But..... if the P20 housing could be made to fit, would that result in a late model technology responsive VF22 equivalent? Stretch the top end out a little bit more.

(I know it sounds like I can't get over the VF22😄 but its just interesting throwing ideas around all the same)

• 2 years later...

Haha Reviving an old thread. So  I ended up finding a brand new VF22 from dodsons motorsport on trademe at less than half the price of a new aftermarket turbo. They had 3 of them sitting under a bench in the back of there workshop for years thay they found in a clean up. Fitted a IWG75 wastegate actuator. Then imported a ported matched up pipe from the UK, that tappered smoothly from the 60mm header collector down to 47mm to match the turbo exhaust housing. Also ported the housing and the wastegate. Fitted soem intake manifold spacers to keep intske temps along with a turbo beanie plus the factory heatsheild overtop of the turbo beanie. Car tuned on Gull force 10 98 made 255kw at wheels and 444nms torque.  Been extremely fun!

Have run a 12.15sec 1/4 mile at only 104mph as i missed 5th gear so coasted from top of 4th to the line. Left some time on the table there. (I know People will debate a VF22 will make that power but thats what the dyno sheet says and the 1/4 mile time i think is representative of that power also especially coasting from 4th. Have dragy footage to back it up)

Now my problem is Gull has stopped supplying force 10 98 to my local station. So I will need a retune for another type of fuel. And possibly lose some power due to no ethanol content. 

So considering again. A slightly larger stock location bolt on turbo, since i will need a tune anyway. 

Has anyone had experience with the turbo care tcrx400 turbo? Or them as a company? 

Also looking at the GCG again. Be quite fun to hit 270-280kw if the 5 soeed box and open deck block would take it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems a bit odd but a gull station 20mins away has force 10  so may have to use this one for the time being.

Does anyone know what the story is? Are they discontinuing it or just taking it out of some stations?

Also further to this, i actually have a VF36 turbo so it could be insteresting putting the VF22 P20 housing on it and running that instead if i need a retune. 

Has anyone got any real life feedback with a VF36 and p20 single scroll rear housing?

Edited by ginganinja