Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Move from 4th to 5th Gen... decisions...

Peas

I've currently got a 2004 3.0R Wagon with well, well into the 200kms on the clock.  Looking to stick with the Legacy's as its been an awesome car (I've never owned a car this long!) and I'm almost in a mind to pour some money into fixing it rather than take the depreciation hit that a newer car will inevitably attract.  Wife says no.

I wanted some advice on the 5th Gen Legacy. 

• I've heard that the CVT can have issues past 100km (apparently Subaru increased the warranty on these?) and so sold the Mrs on a 2.5GT as these have the conventional 5sp auto.  Any truth or logic to this?
  • Anyone got some real world mileage figures on the 2.5GT?
  • Do they have any issues that typically emerge after 100km. (Wheel bearings and control arm bushes seemed to be par for the course with my current one)
  • Is there anything that you would specifically look for in one?  Spec level, options etc?

Thanks in advance.  Bank this weekend!

Cheers,

Andy

• Admin

You could always just upgrade to a lower km 08+ 4th gen. Some of them got push button start and a few other bits the older ones missed out on. 

The 5th gens struggle to feel anywhere near as lively as 4th gens do without a fair bit put into them.

• Like 1

So I skipped the 4th gen legacy so can't compare to that sorry but have now done almost 40,000km on my 2010 LGT with the 5 speed auto.

Mine came on STI springs so sits a bit lower than the rest, but otherwise they are pretty heavy and like to go straight. With some bracing and some good tires they will go around corners ok but I felt my 2000 LGT was lighter and easier to drive the twisty roads.

As for fuel consumption, Open road I get 9L/100km round town i get 12l/100km.

I have had no issues on with the car so far apart from normal wear and tear. need to replace some mounts due to being worn in the diff cradle.

It is a much larger car inside compared with any version Legacy before, thats why we went with it as we could fit the car seats with the kids without the front seats being all the way forward and uncomfortable.

Take some for a test drive there is the 2010-2012 which is 2.5 turbo and then after that they used 2.0 DIT

• Like 1

Seeing how cheap they're these days, both 4th and 5th gen - you get a lot of a car for the money. 5th gen are more squarish inside and you get way more room/headroom especially for the rear passengers.

Aim for a S Pack (Spec B for NZ new ones). Jap spec sheets are all over the place - leather is rare, so are sunroofs. Cruise/steering wheel controls, comfort access, Mcintosh sounds ok but unless it is a nz new one everything will be in japanese. NZ navigation is outdated and useless.

NZ new Spec B have majority of that ticked off but lack alloy control arms and folding mirrors. Also 2.5 vs 2.0. 

I had 2.5GT, central Auckland + motorway would consume around 12-13l per 100km, round about the same or even slightly better than the 3.0 I had prior to that. 

• Like 2

• Admin

I've never owned a 4th gen but have driven a few.

5th gen definitely feel heavier and seem more comfort than sport orientated.

More space inside, with much more legroom for the rear passengers. My 3.6R has over 230,000km now with no major faults in my ownership *touch wood*.

That being said, they're a great car for the money; comfortable, great factory audio, well optioned.

And they can still be driven in a spirited manner, just opt for grippy tires and "sporty" brake pads.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just put a deposit down on a 2009 2.5GT.  Thanks for the advice.  I collect in a month once they sort a few little issues out.  Nice kit, nice wheels, McIntosh sounds, no sunroof or cruise unfortunately but they seem to be a bit harder to find.

There's a few posts on the web about using a thicker rear sway bar from a later Impreza WRX to improve the cornering.  Anyone been down that road?  Does it fit, did it improve it much?

• Like 2

Cheers for that whiteline link.  Not as bad as I thought $$ wise.  I'm sure it more than the mrs wants to spend but a bit of smoke and mirrors... its amazing what can fail on a WOF isn't it!?

• Haha 2