Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Aftermarket intercoolers

Stock intercooler has to come out for the secondary air pump delete surgery so I'm pondering an upgrade to re install. The stock item in the GRB seems a bit weeny compared to even the STi IC in v7/8/9/10, anyone used, heard good/bad things about ZSS

https://justjap.com/products/zss-intercooler-upgrade-subaru-wrx-sti-grb-gvb-08-15

$400 Aus is much more palatable than $1500 plus for Process West/Mishimoto/Grimmspeed etc. 

Edited by Bugle
duh

• Admin
35 minutes ago, Bugle said:

Stock intercooler has to come out for the secondary air pump delete surgery so I'm pondering an upgrade to re install. The stock item in the GRB seems a bit weeny compared to even the STi IC in v7/8/9/10, anyone used, heard good/bad things about ZSS

https://justjap.com/products/zss-intercooler-upgrade-subaru-wrx-sti-grb-gvb-08-15

$400 Aus is much more palatable than $1500 plus for Process West/Mishimoto/Grimmspeed etc. 

What kind of power are you expecting to push? The factory ones do pretty well with the stock turbo and other bolt on upgrades. 

• Like 1

No idea, I have some budget so it new tyres (my tyre guy is recommending Falken FK510) coils and plugs, preempting some things that will need doing like cam belt, rocker cover gaskets and an all alloy radiator (the plastic side tanks always let go eventually on the OEM item) 

A few odd things need sorting, 5th gear does not like to be rushed, and there is an intermittent dead spot around 3500 RPM, send the Bilstein's off to Auckland for a rebuild as they are stupidly hard so probably due some TLC.

A catch can or AOS, rip out the secondary air pump (have a Tactrix cable on the way), potentially a new top mount then send it off to the dyno for a tune

More about keeping it crisp and reliable than a big power number 

• Admin
26 minutes ago, Bugle said:

Things begin arriving, suspect some of the long weekend will be under the ramps 

HkxkIZ3.png

Nice. I assume you're familiar with the process for the Tactrix/openecu and deleting the codes?

Yeah, nga

Never done it before, but I've read/watched a bunch of things, I have an IT background and it looks to me like a BIOS setting change/update (with the same perils granted). Few basic precautions, a safe copy of the factory map just in case, I have the codes to disable, doesnt seem that complicated

I'm more concerned about what else I'll have to remove/deal with/put back on to get it done, opinion seems to range from its easy to its a mare

Any/all advice appreciated 

• Subscribed Member

Was pretty straight forward when we did it on my parents previous STI's, an 09 and 11. 

Just download the ROM, remove those few codes, save, and reupload. Was a bit of a pain to get it to connect initially to download it, but got there eventually. 

The physical delete was easy as we had the motor out, but even with it in it wouldn't have been too bad. Depends how far you want to go with it, as the plate on the driver's side head was a bit of a pain to get to behind the up pipe.

• Admin

From talking to some people who spend too much time around dyno bays, often the no-name stuff is no better than stock. s****y fin density in the cores, or s***house welding and poor fit/finish let them down badly.

It's not a cheap car - my 2c is if you're going to do it, save up the pennies and get a PW.

• Like 1

I have an unused process west top mount kit spare.

It’s in the box but wrapped in plastic and has cardboard over the fins. Was going to be carryon for the flight back from Australia, but then had upgrade from work and kept the box as more luggage allowance.

• Like 2

• Admin
6 hours ago, Bugle said:

In a reversal of fortune Repco have low profile trolley jacks on sale for $59 at the moment, procurement completed. 

I have axel stands already, progress resumes

Damn it why can't I be content with repco supercheap stuff, my low profile Torin one was many many hundreds of dollars 🙄

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gripless said:

4x2 wood in front of ramps works too.

I would have had to go to the hardware store to get 100 x 50 anyway, and the ramps are pretty vintage, like 245's are wider than the ramps vintage

On 12/06/2021 at 4:51 PM, Andy_Mac said:

Damn it why can't I be content with repco supercheap stuff, my low profile Torin one was many many hundreds of dollars 🙄

Lol I have an alloy one and it’s still in box after many years. 
pretty sure it’s still new in there. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/05/2021 at 9:01 PM, Bugle said:

A few odd things need sorting, 5th gear does not like to be rushed, and there is an intermittent dead spot around 3500 RPM, send the Bilstein's off to Auckland for a rebuild as they are stupidly hard so probably due some TLC.

My Spec C GRB is doing this too. Have read this may be a grounding issue?

Edited by ediddy

20 hours ago, ediddy said:

Have read this may be a grounding issue?

Interesting, probably a possibility, the last opinion I had was from one of Ray Hartleys crew (before he retired, where do other Wellington Subaru's peeps go for mechanics?) thought was CAN bus issue of some sort

New plugs and coils will be my next diagnostics  

2 hours ago, Bugle said:

Interesting, probably a possibility, the last opinion I had was from one of Ray Hartleys crew (before he retired, where do other Wellington Subaru's peeps go for mechanics?) thought was CAN bus issue of some sort

New plugs and coils will be my next diagnostics  

Macbilt are excellent for subaru.

• Like 1