Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Equal length headers on v7 sti

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Subru said:

I'm interested to compare equal length vs unequal on stock turbo with no other changes so would it be safe driving it for a few days without a tune touch up?

Then I can do turbo etc just before the tune.

Theoretically there shouldn't be any issue as your total flow is still limited by the factory turbo. if anything the engine should run a little healthier as they've got individual runners a lot further from the port. 

I wouldn't worry about driving it before the tune, just don't be a savage on it incase it does introduce a significant change to your engine. 

1 minute ago, Dairusire said:

Theoretically there shouldn't be any issue as your total flow is still limited by the factory turbo. if anything the engine should run a little healthier as they've got individual runners a lot further from the port. 

I wouldn't worry about driving it before the tune, just don't be a savage on it incase it does introduce a significant change to your engine. 

Ok. Should definitely be more knock resistant due to equal cylinder Temps etc. Mainly want to see the spool difference so I don't need to go too hard on it to find out. I'm very interested to see what difference it makes. 

• Admin
Just now, Subru said:

Ok. Should definitely be more knock resistant due to equal cylinder Temps etc. Mainly want to see the spool difference so I don't need to go too hard on it to find out. I'm very interested to see what difference it makes. 

Just so we're clear, I'm NOT certain you will see spool differences when still using a single scroll turbo. When using a twinscroll turbo that's actually made for it, yeah you would. 

1 hour ago, Loren said:

Don't boost it without a dyno check first... you don't know for sure that it won't knock, and that will kill your motor within the blink of an eye.

Even with just new EL headers?

2 hours ago, Subru said:

Even with just new EL headers?

Don't you have a new turbo ?

2 hours ago, pl0x said:

I reckon it'll spool a bit better even twin scroll header to single scroll turbo. I wouldn't be boosting it to much, probably would be fine but not worth risking imo

I reckon it's a coin toss.

The single scroll has the advantage of shorter header pipes on cylinder 1 and 3... that helps spool. Mainly talking about stock unequal length headers here... aftermarket aren't as tight.

The twin scroll have the advantage of no interfering pulses and better flow up top.

Edited by Loren

Yeah I have the turbo and few other bits however ill install that just before the tune. Then the tuner will install link ecu and injectors on the dyno.

I would have guessed even pulses would beat having the slightly shorter pipes on two cylinders in terms of spool and power.

Chiming in via sound - they sound wicked with Equal length headers. still has the rumble at idle but sound like an imbred evo/wrx on boost its wild. regret not getting them but will look into it shortly once I make up my mind on selling or not haha

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J CHILN said:

Chiming in via sound - they sound wicked with Equal length headers. still has the rumble at idle but sound like an imbred evo/wrx on boost its wild. regret not getting them but will look into it shortly once I make up my mind on selling or not haha

Yeah I can't wait. Have been listening to some clips including @Lorens car and they definitly sound great. I also have rcm/samco turbo inlet and intake so should get some nice spool nose too.

• Like 3

• Admin

I've finally committed to EL for mine. I'd been tossing up using Niran’s old headers but grabbed a set of EL headers with the same uppipe location to replace the old UEL ones he was running. It's just a more mature sound that doesn't attract the same attention as usual boxer sound. 

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
On 12/07/2021 at 1:16 PM, Loren said:

I used Subaru v9 STi headers... they are purportedly better than most or all off the shelf aftermarket headers.

You have to change the sump and dipstick... oh and the oil pickup and possibly the windage tray... I don't remember changing that though.

@Loren Im ready to install my set off a twin scroll car with modified uppipe. Just looking at my headers and it appears they have no O2 sensor whereas my stock Unequal length headers have the O2 sensor on the headers. Where did you install the o2 and did you just use the original one?

6 hours ago, Subru said:

@Loren Im ready to install my set off a twin scroll car with modified uppipe. Just looking at my headers and it appears they have no O2 sensor whereas my stock Unequal length headers have the O2 sensor on the headers. Where did you install the o2 and did you just use the original one?

No cats in a twin scroll up-pipe so no need for an O2 sensor pre turbo. No issue for me as the gc8 never had a pre-turbo cat either.

48 minutes ago, Loren said:

No cats in a twin scroll up-pipe so no need for an O2 sensor pre turbo. No issue for me as the gc8 never had a pre-turbo cat either.

Ok thanks.

My car never had cats pre turbo either. I have a secondary o2 underneath the car on the downpipe but there is also a bung at the top of the downpipe, shall I drill it out and put the o2 sensor that was on the uppipe in that bung?

23 minutes ago, Subru said:

Ok thanks.

My car never had cats pre turbo either. I have a secondary o2 underneath the car on the downpipe but there is also a bung at the top of the downpipe, shall I drill it out and put the o2 sensor that was on the uppipe in that bung?

What ECU?

If there is no cat in the downpipe, there is no need for an O2 sensor right by the turbo... you only need the one, and down the far end of the downpipe is a better location.

It's too hot right by the turbo for an O2 sensor under load, and only used in a factory setup to cycle the AF ratio up and down (when cruising) to keep the cat in the downpipe clean.

Just now, Loren said:

What ECU?

If there is no cat in the downpipe, there is no need for an O2 sensor right by the turbo... you only need the one, and down the far end of the downpipe is a better location.

It's too hot right by the turbo for an O2 sensor under load, and only used in a factory setup to cycle the AF ratio up and down (when cruising) to keep the cat in the downpipe clean.

Oh that sound great. I'm running a link ecu. If i had to guess, it's tuned using the o2 that was in the manifold so that could be tricky for when I want drive the vehicle to Macbilt and the tuner or will it automatically use the second o2?

1 hour ago, Subru said:

Oh that sound great. I'm running a link ecu. If i had to guess, it's tuned using the o2 that was in the manifold so that could be tricky for when I want drive the vehicle to Macbilt and the tuner or will it automatically use the second o2?

It will drive fine... unlikely that the 02 sensor is used for anything more than a fail safe. If you are worried just message Chris and tell him the situation.

21 minutes ago, Loren said:

It will drive fine... unlikely that the 02 sensor is used for anything more than a fail safe. If you are worried just message Chris and tell him the situation.

ok thanks for the info.

If it runs okay, it will be fine to drive carefully.

Currently have test fitted headers and they appear to fit great. So good using OEM parts as fitment is always on point. Just fitted new oil pan which was a prick.

Should be running tomorrow if I can get a couple gaskets I need.

10 minutes ago, Subru said:

ok thanks for the info.

If it runs okay, it will be fine to drive carefully.

Currently have test fitted headers and they appear to fit great. So good using OEM parts as fitment is always on point. Just fitted new oil pan which was a prick.

Should be running tomorrow if I can get a couple gaskets I need.

Yeah oil pans are a bitch.

• Admin

Is your Link even using the O2 sensors any more? V7 has two, one at the bottom of the headers and one after the turbo, nominally to monitor the cat is working properly. I can't remember which one is also used for narrow band AFR adjustment by the ECU, funny feeling it's the bottom one. Reasonable chance your Link has them disabled, and if it doesn't you can just go turn off the bottom one and delete it if your tune isn't running closed loop.

5 hours ago, boon said:

Is your Link even using the O2 sensors any more? V7 has two, one at the bottom of the headers and one after the turbo, nominally to monitor the cat is working properly. I can't remember which one is also used for narrow band AFR adjustment by the ECU, funny feeling it's the bottom one. Reasonable chance your Link has them disabled, and if it doesn't you can just go turn off the bottom one and delete it if your tune isn't running closed loop.

I'll find out soon enough. I'll talk to Chris before the tune and see what he wants me to do. Ideally I can just keep it as is.