Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

How long "should" you wait between pulls?

Just wondering how long most of ya wait between pulls when you take your car out for a spirited drive?

I was only thinking about this the other day when I did about 8 back to back pulls with only maybe 10 seconds between them and since car has been retuned it feels like it flies. I thought that our cars would be able to handle this no problem but was doing some research and some people were saying to wait longer as doing back to back pulls lead to higher intake temps and heat soak and eventually detonation? I assume the vehicle would pull timing if it started to detonate from heat soak etc?

So yeah, if you do decide to go for a spirited drive, how long between pulls should you wait?

Or is doing the consecutive pulls fine as long as it is not all the time haha. I only do that once a week or so.

• Like 1

However far apart the traffic lights are is the correct answer 😄

Nah I'm sure someone has done some data logging on this for how long IATs get back to normal but I wouldn't worry about it. If it feels slow then it's heat soaked and you can tell.

1 hour ago, Loren said:

If it's not overheating, keep up the beating.

Haha I love that! Yeah this new tune really opened up the car. I had a custom retune done on stock exhaust in February.

I just had a turboback exhaust and retune done and even though I gained no torque and only 10hp, the car just FEELs so much more responsive it is crazy! The exhaust just sounds, feels and responds so much nicer with the higher flow cat in there now.

I am only at 257whp and it feels so damn fun!

1 hour ago, Subru said:

However far apart the traffic lights are is the correct answer 😄

Nah I'm sure someone has done some data logging on this for how long IATs get back to normal but I wouldn't worry about it. If it feels slow then it's heat soaked and you can tell.

Ah sweet! So if it was still hitting max boost and pulling hard then IATs would have been fine and engine would be all good?

So basically, you'd know if it was heat soaked as power would diminish??

I was doing these pulls at night in cold temperature. I love doing that as the cold air really makes the car perform even better compared to a hot day haha.

Edited by Bugeye01WRX

I feel much more heatsoak after sitting in slow traffic than after pulls. With pulls at least there is decent airflow though the intercooler.

Heat soak is mostly just annoying because it feels slower than normal. Your just getting less boost due to higher temps. If the motor ist happy it has ways of dealing with it such as pulling timing. 

They always feel great on a cool winters night haha.

3 minutes ago, Subru said:

I feel much more heatsoak after sitting in slow traffic than after pulls. With pulls at least there is decent airflow though the intercooler.

Heat soak is mostly just annoying because it feels slower than normal. Your just getting less boost due to higher temps. If the motor ist happy it has ways of dealing with it such as pulling timing. 

They always feel great on a cool winters night haha.

Haha yeah I think I experienced heat soak once. It was a super hot day and had been in bumper bumper traffic for ages. I then went to do a pull (stupidly it was early days of owning the car), and I was barely hitting 6 psi. I got such a fright but went home, let car cool down, drove again an it was fine :).

Sweet thanks man I was just wanting to make sure I was looking after the engine as it has done 210,000km hehe. From now on I'll definintely wait around 30 seconds between pulls. I may even get an IAT sensr/gauge installed post intercooler so I can monitor intake temps :).