Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Short block swap

Cullen

I was wondering how hard it would be to put a v7 ej207 in a v11 grb sti. I found one from James Marshall that I've been told by them should be able to fit my car. 

Would I need a new ecu, simple retune ot anything else done to do this or is it as much as purchasing and paying a mechanic to put it in for me? Never done anything beyond a few bolt ons before and new to modding, thanks. 

You'll need a mechanic that can work out the correct head gasket thickness to ensure the compression ratio is correct... and that you don't get any valve to piston collisions.

If those two things are all good, then it should be a fairly straight forward process... and no tuning should be required. Oh and your heads might need decking... which will

increase the cost... plus you'd most likely want to have all the valve seals replaced and all the clearances set. You may as well renew the clutch while the motor is out too.

Oh and all the oil seals for the rocker covers and cams will need replacing. Probably a new cambelt and all the idlers and the tensioner etc. Also looks like the RCM short blocks

don't come with an oil pump or water pump.

Edited by Loren
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cullen said:

I'm assuming Loren was joking with that laugh react thrown in??

I wasn't joking... it's a lot of work. Any shortcuts taken are at your peril.  The heads might not need decking. If you have all the lifter clearances checked and they are good

(they won't be) you won't need to do that... but valve seals are cheap, so you'd be crazy not to do it as the heads have to be off the car to replace them. As for rocker

cover oil seals... cheap compared to everything else,  and who wants their brand new engine leaking oil? 

Edited by Loren

1 hour ago, Bugle said:

You can order a 'crate' 207 short block direct from Subaru? (or buy a spec c with a 207 from factory 🤣 )

A much better idea as it it doesn't sound like any extra power is wanted. I have done this in the past.