Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Wrapped HPC coating

Hey there,

Has anyone one here HPC coated and wrapped their headers? Is it a good thing to do or is it better to do one or the other.

I have my headers and up pipe ceramic coated already but have them off the car again. Just wondering if I should wrap them as well to decrease radiant heat further.

I know its a much debated topic but just wanted to know if someone has used both together and what their results /experience was.

Cheers

I asked this same question on a number of threads and never got a straight answer. I think somone mentioned it would damage the coating over time? Not too sure. Why are you wanting to wrap? Is the HPC coating not doing enough?

I would also ring and ask HPC direct. I'll be going in to drop my stuff off this week and can ask also 

13 hours ago, Niran said:

I asked this same question on a number of threads and never got a straight answer. I think somone mentioned it would damage the coating over time? Not too sure. Why are you wanting to wrap? Is the HPC coating not doing enough?

I would also ring and ask HPC direct. I'll be going in to drop my stuff off this week and can ask also 

I think the HPC coating is working however where all the runners collect i am seeing some discolouration of the cam covers which would indicate there is still a fair amount of radiant heat in that area. I have made up a heatsheild for that area but was thinking the wrap would help the whole system and save having the heatsheild.

Yep I did speak to them when I collected a couple of bits the other week. They basically said it would void the coating warranty and that the Wrap causes corrosion and the headers to rust out etc. Which is expected for them to say this, as I wouldn't expect them to say the wrapping is better.

I would have thought the coating would reduce the chances of the wrap causing corrosion and rust the headers and the wrap would give some further heat management? However I am not sure whether doing this would then cause the stainless to get too hot.

Hence I was wondering if anyone had actually done it and had some real world feedback.

My research found that:

1. The ultimate heat management is molded heat shielding (inconel or bendy metal wrap etc.) - air gap + barrier is the most effective heat management solution. Unfortunately this is also the most expensive, also puts a lot of stress on the metal / increases wear

2. You do want to design everything around good air flow. Fresh air needs to be able to flow through and wisk away the heat where needed. 

3. Ceramic coating seemed to be the best of both worlds and where extra protection is needed, add a shield - like in your case under the cam covers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niran said:

My research found that:

1. The ultimate heat management is molded heat shielding (inconel or bendy metal wrap etc.) - air gap + barrier is the most effective heat management solution. Unfortunately this is also the most expensive, also puts a lot of stress on the metal / increases wear

2. You do want to design everything around good air flow. Fresh air needs to be able to flow through and wisk away the heat where needed. 

3. Ceramic coating seemed to be the best of both worlds and where extra protection is needed, add a shield - like in your case under the cam covers

Ok interesting that is basically what I have. Plenty of air comes through under the car when driving and I have made a heatsheild out of some heatsheild matt underneath the cambelt covers. I may look at doing something around the top of the up pipe too to limit the amount of hot air coming up to the intercooler.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep I ended up making up a shield out of some sheet. Cut two pieces and mounted it off the bottom bolt on the cam cover, and then shaped it down the front of the headers, to protect the front loom and bolted it to one of the radiator mounts.