Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

VF45 Turbo Replacement

masternibot

A few months ago on a road trip in my 2007 Legacy I heard a ticking noise from the engine.
I pulled over to figure out what was going on, the ticking noise seemed to change with revs but not directly.
I decided it was best to drive the 30 minutes back home - gently.

Before getting back the ticking noise had stopped and I noticed the boost gauge firmly stuck in the bottom half.

We took another vehicle on the road trip and after a month or so of procratination, I finally pulled the turbo out of the wagon.

What I discovered was a twin scroll VF45 apparently with the twin shaft option, with the turbine and compressor flopping around like a d**k in a shirt sleeve.

I do not like this configuration.

I'm not sure how to proceed with a replacement. I've been looking for a second hand VF45, but haven't had a great deal of luck.

The VF44 seems to be more available. My understanding is that the VF44 was largely fitted to autos and has slightly different spooling characteristics. 

I have a six speed manual (TY856WBEAA) with a EJ20YHFELE (atleast that's what the plate says).

A few wreckers have VF44 turbos for around $800.

Another option would be either of the TD04HLA-19T or TD04HLA-20T Kinugawa turbos which seem to be around for about $1800.

I would imagine that any of these options would require a retune. I'm not sure whether that would need to be up on a dyno or not.

Would a replacement VF45 require a retune? 

Is there someone near Palmy who can retune legacies?

I'm also slightly concerned that there might be an issue with the oil supply, I wouldn't want to put in $2k of turbo to blow it up immediately. 

Any tips on checking oil pressure with a push button start model?

Any tips on the replacement in general?

I'm not looking for a power boost, I enjoyed having it as my daily driver with enough guts to make open road driving a little more fun.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Regarding to the oil supply issue, have you removed or checked for the banjo bolt filters? I *think* that there are a couple of spots you may want to check to make sure that they either a) have been removed or b) aren't blocked up by small debris (it's fine mesh). You will want to then remove them if you do have them. There are various conflicting reports of the later Gen 4 models only having one, or none. I *think* they should have at least one, if not two. Try start here and see how you get on.

There have been stories of turbos dying, people replacing them and then they die again due to the same issue - oil starvation. Oil starvation issue still persists due to the problem not being with the turbo, but in some other system that the turbo depends on (oil lubrication system).

You may be able to check oil pressure if you datalog the car, or definitely if you add a oil pressure sensor and gauge via the likes of a sandwich plate.

All of my information is coming from about a year ago when I had my GT. Fell out of the scene for a while so information gets a bit spotty. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

• Admin

There's a few spots where there ‘may’ be banjo filters but most of the later year vehicles either didn't come with them or removed back in Japan but still very worth confirming if they're there or not.

This sums up the locations quite well but is single scroll based so clearances around the turbo side will be different.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/remove-all-banjo-filters-222758.html

A replacement 45 won't need a retune, a 44 really won't need one either as they seem to make identical power for every car I've seen with the swap.

The 44/45 pair weren't trans based the way the older ones were and are more particular year's. My old one had the 45 but most guys I've seem seem to have the 44 in 6mt’s

I haven't actually tried to check for oil flow with a push button but I guess the same applies as normal with removing the crank angle sensor or pump fuse and cranking until oil does or doesn't come out the feed line.