Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What have people done with blown engines?

Hey guys

Seems like there is a huge avenue of lines to take when your engine goes boom after I did some reading.

Just seeing what others out there have done and based on their experiences what they would/wouldn't recommend?

I assume it also has to do with how the engine blows as well that will determine your approach?

I have not blown my engine but it is getting up there in KMs and is running 311bhp and while I do look after it, I am aware it could go at any moment.

Even if it doesn't for a while, I'd rather gain knowledge on what to do and what options there are anyway rather than something happening and then scrambling around trying to sort something while I don't have a car haha.

So yeah, Rebuild? Replace with used longblock? Buy new Shortblock off PBMS? Dropping in an STI engine instead? Other options? What should you usually budget in the case this does happen? 5k?

Thanks all!

Edited by Bugeye01WRX
  • Like 1

I have used a new sti short block in the past.

Also rebuilt once and in the process of doing that again.

The first motor I blew was a stock standard v5 sti motor... so the replacement sti short block was a no brainer for me.

The second motor had forged internals... so rebuilding is the only option really. Forged crate motors are way way too expensive.

5k is not realistic for either of theses options. If you are doing everything properly and using a mechanic... up to 10k is more realistic.

• Thanks 1

Or you could buy a running wrecker motor and pull it apart and refresh at your leisure... and then hopefully by the time your motor goes... you have a drop in replacement.

If your motor does not blow... you have a motor up your sleeve to sell if you decide to sell the car. 

That's potentially a lot of money sitting around in your garage doing nothing though... might be better in an investment fund.

Edited by Loren

I like @Andy_Mac plan of new short block and add forged pistons.

selling rebuilding what is left  left depends on how it dies. Also how soon you catch it.

I got my new motor for $1500. Sold as blown but it was only worn turbo and wastegate that was faulty. Otherwise it was clean and tidy.

My stock motor had one bearing go and the last guy paid $5k to get that rebuilt correctly. Actually I maybe selling that soon with 30k km on it.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the responses really appreciate it

11 hours ago, Loren said:

I have used a new sti short block in the past.

Also rebuilt once and in the process of doing that again.

The first motor I blew was a stock standard v5 sti motor... so the replacement sti short block was a no brainer for me.

The second motor had forged internals... so rebuilding is the only option really. Forged crate motors are way way too expensive.

5k is not realistic for either of theses options. If you are doing everything properly and using a mechanic... up to 10k is more realistic.

Wowsers that is a ton of money haha! At that point I'd rather part the car and just buy an STI.

But if I had an STI already it would be a different story. Is that similar prices for WRX short blocks or getting crate motors? Would be around 10k?

5 hours ago, boon said:

Part the car out, or buy a $2k wrecker motor and cross your fingers. 

Converting to anything STI is going to be a very expensive journey.

Ah ok so you don't reckon getting new short blocks etc is worth?

Edited by Bugeye01WRX

5 hours ago, Gripless said:

I like @Andy_Mac plan of new short block and add forged pistons.

selling rebuilding what is left  left depends on how it dies. Also how soon you catch it.

I got my new motor for $1500. Sold as blown but it was only worn turbo and wastegate that was faulty. Otherwise it was clean and tidy.

My stock motor had one bearing go and the last guy paid $5k to get that rebuilt correctly. Actually I maybe selling that soon with 30k km on it.

Oh 1,500 is allgood for an engine and I assume STI engine as well?

So if I bought for example a used EJ205 engine if mine blew, how much would I be looking at roughly in that case to get it on the road again including replacing all the oil pump, seals and cooler.

5 hours ago, Loren said:

Or you could buy a running wrecker motor and pull it apart and refresh at your leisure... and then hopefully by the time your motor goes... you have a drop in replacement.

If your motor does not blow... you have a motor up your sleeve to sell if you decide to sell the car. 

That's potentially a lot of money sitting around in your garage doing nothing though... might be better in an investment fund.

Haha that sounds like they are both good points. Thanks a lot for all the info tho I definitely feel like I understand the options more!

Thanks everyone for the replies! I definitely feel like I understand the options much better!!

5 hours ago, boon said:

Part the car out, or buy a $2k wrecker motor and cross your fingers. 

Converting to anything STI is going to be a very expensive journey.

Can an EJ207 be dropped into WRX easily?

Edited by Bugeye01WRX

I have no idea on costs mine is stupidly expensive.

I’d be waiting to see how it dies before making a call.

likely replace the whole engine is easier.

also how much do you like the car. Could be cheaper to buy donor can swap bits once it dies.

• Admin

19 hours ago, Bugeye01WRX said:

Oh 1,500 is allgood for an engine and I assume STI engine as well?

So if I bought for example a used EJ205 engine if mine blew, how much would I be looking at roughly in that case to get it on the road again including replacing all the oil pump, seals and cooler.

Haha that sounds like they are both good points. Thanks a lot for all the info tho I definitely feel like I understand the options more!

Thanks everyone for the replies! I definitely feel like I understand the options much better!!

Can an EJ207 be dropped into WRX easily?

$1500 is for a long motor that the seller thought was toast. Which is about the value of the things that bolt onto a dead long motor.

Used low-ish Kms EJ205 long motor, let's say $2k. Gaskets, seals, odds and ends that you would want to refresh, coolant, oil, probably $1k, 1.5k if you want to do the cambelt.

Can you do all the labour yourself? If not, engine out, refresh replacement motor, engine back in, probably $2k+. So you're looking at $5k to revive it.

If you went to a 207... shortblock or long motor? If I remember right the shortblocks are a couple of grand, then all the misc you would have to do, at least a couple more grand, then labour, a few more, then you would presumably need a retune as your compression is probably different, I'd say $10k all done and you would have probably the same performance as you do currently.

EJ207 long motor, let's say $4-5k for the motor and bits hanging off it, $1k refreshing it, $2k labour, $1k tune (or maybe you could swap in an STI ECU?) - $8-10k and you would get EJ207 performance. But you would be better off selling yours before it blows up and buying an STI.

• Like 4