Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

GC8 STI Value

TNHSTI

8 minutes ago, Subru said:

I always keep an eye on Subarus up for sale. Type Rs have increased heaps but 90k is a bit much. It's definitly heading that direction though. I remember when gc8s were 10k lol.

Interesting - yeah I remember that too lol, feels like not that long ago either 

His has just gone back up on TM for 78k.

I'd be amazed if there was someone out there willing to pay that price for such a high km car that isn't even stock or even very rare (several on TM right now)... but who knows?

Mostly I'm pissed at the current asking prices of these cars because it means if I crash mine I can't replace it, and have just destroyed a 100k car.. not a  20k car!

• Like 1

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Loren said:

His has just gone back up on TM for 78k.

I'd be amazed if there was someone out there willing to pay that price for such a high km car that isn't even stock or even very rare (several on TM right now)... but who knows?

Mostly I'm pissed at the current asking prices of these cars because it means if I crash mine I can't replace it, and have just destroyed a 100k car.. not a  20k car!

It's still on Facebook at 85k also.

I assume you're talking about crashing it at a race event where insurance is a iffy thing?

13 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

It's still on Facebook at 85k also.

I assume you're talking about crashing it at a race event where insurance is a iffy thing?

No insurance at all while racing... not for the car anyway.... MSNZ cover third party damage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Loren said:

Dreamers... not even that rare. Try finding a Ford Focus RS for sale... that's rare.

Unfortunately or fortunately they aren't dreamers, its just a fact. These cars are now asking this money. In Australia a car like Nirans would be worth over 100k. If anything NZ is behind the times with values.

Try importing a tidy one for less than 80k landed and on the road.

No one wants to own a Ford and also the focus doesn't have the JDM factor. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ginganinja said:

Unfortunately or fortunately they aren't dreamers, its just a fact. These cars are now asking this money. In Australia a car like Nirans would be worth over 100k. If anything NZ is behind the times with values.

It's FOMO like the over heated housing market. People will pay, but they aren't getting value.

1 hour ago, ginganinja said:

No one wants to own a Ford and also the focus doesn't have the JDM factor. 

Not true, very awesome car and highly sort after. 

If the cars for sale were low km and look like they just rolled off the showroom floor, then sure that's worth big bucks. But nothing for sale in NZ is like that... they are high km,

covered in dents, "restored" in a half hearted manner or not at all. Because the market was flooded and they have been so cheap, no one has looked after them or kept them 

stock.

Edited by Loren
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Loren said:

It's FOMO like the over heated housing market. People will pay, but they aren't getting value.

Not true, very awesome car and highly sort after. 

Just threw the rs comment for giggles. The Focus RS is definitely a nice car. I would own one.

9 hours ago, Loren said:

If the cars for sale were low km and look like they just rolled off the showroom floor, then sure that's worth big bucks. But nothing for sale in NZ is like that... they are high km,

covered in dents, "restored" in a half hearted manner or not at all. Because the market was flooded and they have been so cheap, no one has looked after them or kept them 

stock.

Fair point but even a high kms one that looks in average condition, you can't import for less than $40k. Hence drives local pricing up as the cars are already here. 

Whether people are getting value or not these cars are a throw back to the good old JDM import days. Which is why people are wanting them and prepared to pay decent dollars for them globally.

I mean different kettle of fish but who thought a 22B would be worth 450k USD!!!!! You could arguably say thats not good value comoared to what that sort of money can buy, as underneath the wide body they are more or less just a V4 STI with 2.2l engine.

So good value or not doesn't really come into the debate.

On 24/09/2021 at 8:53 AM, Loren said:

At least BRZs are coming down in price.

300 kw 4wd BRZ will be plenty of fun.

Not in our lifetime.

The latest BRZ is still rwd, gets a 2.4 NA motor with a mighty  170kw/228bhp.

Which Focus RS were you referring to ?

The 2nd gen FWD one was rubbish, sounded amazing, didn't handle that well, and didn't feel like it had 300hp.

The later 4wd was a ball of fun with the rear clutch pack activated drift mode.

PS  nice burns on the TM auction, what a bunch of bellends

🤣

It's worth what someone will pay for it

If the seller is lucky someone with fat capital gains on their real estate who always wanted a GC coupe in the day might shell out some big bucks, well played if that happens

As far as the market tanking, I'm not convinced. *hitters are *hitters and wont be worth scrap value but even when EV's rule the roads (and probably because EV's will rule the roads) there will be a market for the cool retro/rare high performance ICE cars, even if its only to go to ICE track day once a month (that's the only place we'll be allowed to drive them 🤣)

8 hours ago, newsuba said:

Not in our lifetime.

The latest BRZ is still rwd, gets a 2.4 NA motor with a mighty  170kw/228bhp.

I was thinking of a scenario where I trashed my wrx shell and was able to swap the running gear to a brz.  Definitely dreaming on the 4wd thing though... probably on the engine too.

Which Focus RS were you referring to ?

The 2nd gen FWD one was rubbish, sounded amazing, didn't handle that well, and didn't feel like it had 300hp.

The later 4wd was a ball of fun with the rear clutch pack activated drift mode.

It was a bad example really as they aren't even old. The 4wd version is awesome... incredibly fast in stock form, just with some decent tyres. I know nothing much about the fwd version. 

PS  nice burns on the TM auction, what a bunch of bellends

🤣

I tried really hard not to comment... 90k and he probably hasn't even cleaned it... I find it to be a bit insulting for some reason. 

• Like 2

• Admin

That guy's a dreamer.

To be fair, so is @Niran and what he's selling is way tidier. But who knows, maybe someone spectacularly optimistic will pay asking.

People mistaking immaculate, completely original, 25000km cars for their daily-driven, somewhat modified, obviously "used" 120000km+ cars.

• Like 1

There was a boom in 2019 with lots of old collectors retiring and clearing out, and again mid 2020 when overseas travel money was dumped into the car market.

likely another one soon as it’s the end of overseas travel season and weather will be nice for holidays. 

10 hours ago, boon said:

That guy's a dreamer.

To be fair, so is @Niran and what he's selling is way tidier. But who knows, maybe someone spectacularly optimistic will pay asking.

Bidding is around 60k on his currently... seems like a more reasonable amount, though it still kills me that they cost that much and

I have to find a new favourite car.

10 hours ago, boon said:

People mistaking immaculate, completely original, 25000km cars for their daily-driven, somewhat modified, obviously "used" 120000km+ cars.

This is what I expect to see when people ask big bucks for an old and previously cheap car. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/toyota/corolla/listing/3270284093

Still high km, but someone has spent a lot of time restoring it... and it's not super expensive either.

Edited by Loren
  • Like 1

Oooooh interesting thread to stumble across haha.

I literally look at the jap auction markets every day. Unfortunately the high prices stem from there. Often you can import a car for slightly less then nz market value, but then you bare the full risk of rust, compliance issues and cost snow balls.

Anywho. Mine should be a good test of the NZ market! Lets see what happens. Turned down a concrete offer of $75k before my swap deal fell through. So will be interesting to see where we go. The realist in me will be happy with anything over $70k.

Doesnt really matter that the value has gone up since my original purchase, as i'll be buying back into the same market! 

• Like 1