Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Small light wheels for Impreza?

• General Member

lift some weights

not entirely sure of the problem - have you tried measuring the resistance with a measure/scales

Salter-Australia-s-hanging-scales-availa

original question was "unsprung weight " not resistance of steering wheel

Powers steer fluid? quick rack? up-rated P-steer pump?

wait maybe the opposite

DPI said:

Quick rack is ALL GOOD, not for thin armed weaklings though... :D

The guy who set up my boost controller thought i'd taken out the power steering, look on his face when he tried to turn the wheel was priceless...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lift a huge weight every time I go for a slash ;D

Previous car with lighter steering had a strut brace, which seemed to make it more responsive to steering input.

Unspring weight has been solved with smaller/narrower rims

Desperately needs a wheel alignment so will reassess after that.

Any Wheel aligner recommendations in the Glenfield area

• 2 weeks later...
 Koom said:

Weight of the steering is probably effected alot more by the caster and wheel alignment settings rather than the size of the contact patch. Even tyre pressure is probably going to have just as much of an effect.

10 points to Koom!

Heavy steering was largely down to messed up wheel alignment.

Toe was

FL -0.9mm FR -0.3mm

RL 3.1mm RR -5.3mm :o

Toe now

FL 0mm FR -0.3mm

RL 0.3mm RR 0.5mm

thanks to JP tyres for fixing

Perhaps this messed up alignment was adding to road noise too.

gemini']

[quote name='Koom said:

Toe was

FL -0.9mm FR -0.3mm

RL 3.1mm RR -5.3mm :o

Toe now

FL 0mm FR -0.3mm

RL 0.3mm RR 0.5mm

Ive had various setups none of which I understand

FL,+.1........ FR+.5

RL,-1.1.......RR +.5

FL +.1........FR-.5

RL-1.1.......RR+.5

FL -.8.........FR -.9

RL-1.4........RR 0.0

FL +.7........FR +.5

RL -1.5.......RR -1.6

FL +.01......FR-.04

RL..-.-1......RR +.06

All with max stock -camber

gemini said:
So apart from reducing the contact patch how else can I lighten the steering?

I don't see why you want to, but running more negative camber lightens the steering quite dramatically.

stance']

[quote name='gemini said:

/quote]

I don't see why you want to, but running more negative camber lightens the steering quite dramatically.

Steering is fine now I have the wheels aligned, will leave the camber as is.

Am curious about the effects of the larger negitive toe T.Rev had on the rear compared to your setup which is more negative on the front

gemini']

[quote name='gemini said:

/quote]

Steering is fine now I have the wheels aligned, will leave the camber as is.

Am curious about the effects of the larger negitive toe T.Rev had on the rear compared to your setup which is more negative on the front

Negative toe in the front will help with front end stability at high speed but at the cost of reduced grip on turn in. I can't remember exactly where the rear toe out helps in a corner but without getting too technical, it helps bring the rear around in a corner (think it increases rear end grip mid corner) andmakes the car more oversteery whereas toe in at the rear makes the rear end more stable and makes the car "push" through the corner.

gemini']Steering is fine now I have the wheels aligned, will leave the camber as is.

Are you comparing my setup with T.Rev? or someone else's?

[quote name='Koom said:

Negative toe in the front will help with front end stability at high speed but at the cost of reduced grip on turn in. I can't remember exactly where the rear toe out helps in a corner but without getting too technical, it helps bring the rear around in a corner (think it increases rear end grip mid corner) andmakes the car more oversteery whereas toe in at the rear makes the rear end more stable and makes the car "push" through the corner.

Negative Toe = Toe Out

So its the other way around, negative toe will sacrifice stability to increase turn in. Your right about the rear though.

stance']

[quote name='Koom said:

/quote]

Negative Toe = Toe Out

So its the other way around, negative toe will sacrifice stability to increase turn in. Your right about the rear though.

Yeah I had my negatives round the wrong way. I should stick to calling it toe in or toe out as thats what I've always known it as.

I should also say that I noticed the difference in going from 1.5mm toe in (both sides) at the rear to 1.5mm toe out. Made the car much more balanced mid corner and it now would loose traction at all four wheels at the same time rather than pushing wide or being oversteery. Beforehand (and when it had excessive toe in at the rear) it would push quite alot mid corner and run wide on the exit where now the front pulls around when accelerating out of the corner.

• 5 years later...
 gemini said:
Just went from 16' Subaru wheels to 17" Advanti Medusas

They look awesome but farrrk it's slow now. They must be really heavy!

Only been on a few days but gotta go - looking good is not worth that big a hit in performance

Next wheels will either be lightweight 17s possibly with narrow tyres or back to 16s

gemini said:
Only been on a few days but gotta go - looking good is not worth that big a hit in performance

Next wheels will either be lightweight 17s possibly with narrow tyres or back to 16s

Looking at not just 16s but lightweight 16s and had a question

Do the quality lightweights Advan, Volk etc use different alloys otherwise they'd be more prone to bending?

Edited by gemini

• Admin
 gemini said:
Looking at not just 16s but lightweight 16s and had a question

Do the quality lightweights Advan, Volk etc use different alloys otherwise they'd be more prone to bending?

They're forged instead of cast. So the material strength is much higher, so they can get away with using less of it.

boon said:
They're forged instead of cast. So the material strength is much higher, so they can get away with using less of it.

Thanks Boon

Forged are better than 2 or 3 piece aluminium wheels yeah?

Edited by gemini

gemini said:
Just went from 16' Subaru wheels to 17" Advanti Medusas

They look awesome but farrrk it's slow now. They must be really heavy!

Or too big, effectively raising your gearing.

What size wheel/tyre did you start with and what did you end up with ?

newsuba said:
Or too big, effectively raising your gearing.

What size wheel/tyre did you start with and what did you end up with ?

Same circumference

It's a simple fact that 17s weigh more than 16s and 7 inch wide weighs more than 6 inch wide.

If you want to go bigger but not gain weight you have to go from a regular wheel to a lightweight wheel when you upsize