• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Small light wheels for Impreza?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shale said:

Something I've also noticed is that Bridgestone Potenzas all seem to have obnoxious sidewalls - the GridIII from back in the day especially extended over the lip of most stock and stock replacement wheels, and the Adrenalins don't seem to care for superficial sidewall damage. There's almost no give in the current RE050 sidewalls, though those are 45 profile at about 34psi ;D So I'm sure the actual structure of the tyre makes a difference to the physics as well.

That is a design to protect you rims from gutter rash.

BC5RA - yup, and is excessive in some tyre designs (not a bad thing). The whole sidewall in the Potenzas is a whole lot thicker than the sh!tty Toyos I took off...sure, they are a tad heavier :P

Stance - Put -1 or more on your front and rears on an asymmetrical set, and tell me what the cords of the inside tread look like in 10,000km ;) Adrenalins are awesome, but holy crap they HATE my car :P

gemini - they look similar to some of the wheels that the WRX got. The earliest of them got fugly round 5-spokes that need to burn in hell for being hideous. The 2.5RS isn't a common car; it is a much-maligned 2.5L after all, and its reputation precedes it. That, and most people looking at that power bracket figured 'heck, why not just get a WRX?'...it was only a few grand more.

Question. Didn't Subaru put most of their energies into lightening the STi wheels for performance, rather than the N/As? I know for a fact that some of the lightest Subaru wheels you can get are the optional STi Spec C 5x100 (not the standard STi 5x114.3 that followed in the next versions); unfortunately they are also a little more fragile as a result. But boy are they attractive. http://www.carfolio.com/images/dbimages/zgas/models/id/10480/2003_impreza_wrx_sti_type_c.jpg

Can't remember the exact weight, but they are significantly lighter than the standard gold 17" wheels. Those are frankly light enough anyway (I can throw them around, and y'all know I'm a 5'1" girl :P), though it's much of a muchness between them and those blasted anthracite WRX wheels.

Shale said:
Stance - Put -1 or more on your front and rears on an asymmetrical set, and tell me what the cords of the inside tread look like in 10,000km ;) Adrenalins are awesome, but holy crap they HATE my car :P

How much negative toe? I'm running -2.4 F/1.6 R camber with even tire wear after 8,000km.

stance']

[quote name='Shale said:

Stance - Put -1 or more on your front and rears on an asymmetrical set, and tell me what the cords of the inside tread look like in 10,000km ;) Adrenalins are awesome, but holy crap they HATE my car :P/quote]

How much negative toe? I'm running -2.4 F/1.6 R camber with even tire wear after 8,000km.

I'm running about the same and have barely worn the tyres in the past year, including a trackday. Before I adjusted the excessive toe out of the rear, and could only get about -1.2F/-0.3R camber, I went through a set of tyres in 12 months quite easily. Or two trackdays and the tyres were shagged.

I'll have to go for a dig. The sheet from ages ago lurks, I just don't know where :P Due for a realignment soon anyway, kudos to a few upcoming mods...

Sounds like there's some toe-tweaking to be done with alignment 2.0...I don't mind going through the tyres, but not THAT fast :P

Will be good to get the camber, for one, read again; it's very visible, and the car does sit on the inside tread.

After some research I think the weight of the rim probably effects acceleration and braking more than steering.

Light steering might be about how much rubber is on the road.i.e.circumference and width.

205/50R16 is 1920 circumference, 215/45R17 is 1964 circumference.

So not only is the 17" option 10mm wider but there would be more rubber on the road top to bottom too. So the steering would feel heavier

205/50R16 is about the smallest wheel you'd want to put on an Impreza as every other usual tyre wheel combination results in a larger circumference.

^ Agreed.

So you've answered your own question gemini. I'd pick up a set of OEM STi 16x7's for cheap and spend my money on some good tires.

RE-11's and Star Specs come in that size assuming you want a high performance tire.

Koom said:

Weight of the steering is probably effected alot more by the caster and wheel alignment settings rather than the size of the contact patch. Even tyre pressure is probably going to have just as much of an effect.

Can you adjust the caster on some Imprezas?

STIs and RAs I imagine?

gemini']

[quote name='Koom said:

Weight of the steering is probably effected alot more by the caster and wheel alignment settings rather than the size of the contact patch. Even tyre pressure is probably going to have just as much of an effect.

/quote]

Can you adjust the caster on some Imprezas?

STIs and RAs I imagine?

Camber/Caster Plates, Anti-lift kits add caster aswell plus a few other ways to change things. No factory adjustment though.

Increasing castor helps with grip on turn-in and also gives you more dynamic camber mid-corner so helps grip there too. With more castor, you can run less static camber to get the same amount of camber mid-corner as the wheel gains camber at a faster rate as the steering angle is increased. Its a good thing as Subaru's have sweet feck all castor from the factory. From memory, my RS had about 3.3o when it was factory spec and now its up around 6 ish and I'd still like to give it more.

• 3 weeks later...
 Koom said:

What about the size of the wheel, that must have some effect on caster.

205/50R16 is 1920 circumference, 215/45R17 is 1964 circumference, 225/40R18 is 2001 circumference

So up to 81 mm difference in circumference there

gemini']

[quote name='Koom said:

/quote]

What about the size of the wheel, that must have some effect on caster.

205/50R16 is 1920 circumference, 215/45R17 is 1964 circumference, 225/40R18 is 2001 circumference

So up to 81 mm difference in circumference there

The wheel size isn't going to effect castor. Castor is due to the angles of specific parts relative to each other in the suspension.

The wheel diameter will effect your speed ratios though.

• General Member

and a whole 10.08mm height difference and 96.68 km/h when your doing 100kph wow!

steering is always heavy when stationary vs rolling

no effect on castor, wheel center is the same

simple explanation of caster = caster wheel on a trolley in the super market, they are setup to always point in direction due to extreme Castor (wheel center behind pivot)