Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Car stuttering a lot after bad hill start

Hey guys been a while since I posted

Been taking on a lot of your guys advice and not worrying about little things and these days I'm 99% better with worrying way less and having fun with car.

I live in a pretty flat town, like really flat, so I barely ever hill start.

However, today I had to stop on one of the steepest hills in town at around 40 degrees and i was like, oh f*** as I hate riding the clutch.

Instead though, I end up stalling the car aggressively on the hill and then on 2nd attempt, I end up "launching" the car rather than gently riding the clutch to get moving.

There was this bad smell which Im concerned about as I don't think it was the clutch since I never rode the clutch so am unsure of what it could be.

Then, after "launching" the car up, the revs dropped to like 800rpm and I basically lugged the car for a good 3 or 4 seconds getting up the hill before the revs got up.

Now, every time I take off in first the car is stuttering and shuddering like it wants to stall even if I am revving the car to like 1,500rpm as soon as I start letting the clutch out it shudders so badly now.

A few questions:

1. Is it better to ride the clutch up a hill or better to launch/slingshot it and then lug it briefly?

2. Anyone have any idea what would be causing the car to stutter like that

3. I have been told lugging is mashing throttle in 4th or 5th gear at like 2k rpm. I assume that small "lugging" in such a low gear while building no boost is not an issue.

Thanks everyone

1 hour ago, Loren said:

ride the clutch on a hill start... don't launch it then "lug it" ffs.

why is it stuttering now? probably driver error.

just keep driving it... when it stops moving... it's broken.

Ok Ill remember that for next time. Havn't done a hill start in a while like anything was a little rusty and it was a big hill. I didn't mean to lug it I might not have actually Lugged it I just basically took off and then them rpms dropped really low and kind of felt like it although it wasn't actually shaking so that is probably a good sign.

It could be driver error but Im pretty sensitive to this stuff and know when soemthing feels different and the car would never do this while warm.

Alright Ill keep on keeping on cheers

9 hours ago, Bugeye01WRX said:

It could be driver error but Im pretty sensitive to this stuff and know when soemthing feels different and the car would never do this while warm.

Well actually you are way over sensitive,  hence all your "have I killed my car" posts.

• Like 1

• Admin

Side note, lol 40 degrees... the steepest street in NZ (ooh actually the world) is about 21.

I'm going to say option 1 is probably user/driver error, option 2 is you fouled the plugs and it will fix itself after you get the engine vaguely hot.

• Like 1