Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Warrant of fitness failed due to being loud?

nihell

Hi,

just wondering if anyone had similar situation with i have. I failed my wof due to being noisy? pbms free flow downpipe and invidia r400. I was questioning them as how come the vehicle passed its last years wof when i never altered anything on the vehicle and the guy just basically dodge it. Is there by any chance i could try to "challenge" the inspection and comment done on my vehicle? 

I went to VTNZ. Any input is much appreciated.

thank you

thanks man, i did thought about that although it passed an emmission test which was performed and stamped by vtnz as well so,

that got me curious on how suppose on that make it any difference when i never altered anything on it.

thanks boon, i did thought about that although it passed an emmission test which was performed and stamped by vtnz as well so

that got me curious on how suppose on that make it any difference when i never altered anything on it.

On 23/04/2022 at 6:10 PM, DRFVDR said:

have the output actually measured ( did they measure it when it failed or was it just a calibrated ear ? ) 
it probably is to loud ( anything non standard would be borderline ) 

it seems like its a calibrated ear😅. never shown any proof or that its above the decible limit. 

Is it possible to go to a different shop to get a 2nd opinion on it? is it something i can do? as it seems the place i went the area itself is making the car sound like it its louder than it supposed be (echo)

6 minutes ago, nihell said:

thanks boon, i did thought about that although it passed an emmission test which was performed and stamped by vtnz as well so

it seems like its a calibrated ear😅. never shown any proof or that its above the decible limit. 

Is it possible to go to a different shop to get a 2nd opinion on it? is it something i can do? as it seems the place i went the area itself is making the car sound like it its louder than it supposed be (echo)

So there is a prescribed test procedure using calibrated test equipment ( an ear is not that) BUT once it has failed for noise it will be logged so taking it elsewhere will most likely (unless they have the test equipment) mean that it will still be failed. 
If you have it tested as being OK and they can supply you a "cert" then you should be fine from then BUT I would make 100% sure that it is compliant 

• Like 1

• General Member
On 22/04/2022 at 9:50 PM, boon said:

No. Take it elsewhere. It's probably technically too loud, and you just got lucky last time.

Challenging "your car is illegal" with "but you missed it last time" is not a winning strategy.

yeah been there done that

My GTB was imported and fine for about  years then my Wof guy flagged it (They are under pressure too & wasn't for fun I believe)

went with a 'hot dog' like a Coby in the center section at the time (And new Muffler, was a no name unidentifiable big bore Before)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DRFVDR said:

So there is a prescribed test procedure using calibrated test equipment ( an ear is not that) BUT once it has failed for noise it will be logged so taking it elsewhere will most likely (unless they have the test equipment) mean that it will still be failed. 
If you have it tested as being OK and they can supply you a "cert" then you should be fine from then BUT I would make 100% sure that it is compliant 

i see, thanks for that.

Im just still in wonder as i do not think that my system is any louder than anyone else as its a common exhaust system on the newer ones.(invidia r400) . but thanks for the info man.

18 minutes ago, Joker said:

yeah been there done that

My GTB was imported and fine for about  years then my Wof guy flagged it (They are under pressure too & wasn't for fun I believe)

went with a 'hot dog' like a Coby in the center section at the time (And new Muffler, was a no name unidentifiable big bore Before)

sounds like its going to be a costly fix 😑 

• Admin

I passed with my old decatted DP and R400 but it was definitely above the legal limit, I go to a local mechanic though as I would have been willing to bet VTNZ would fail it for noise. Most straight piped Subies seem quieter than it.  

As much as it isn't the ‘right’ thing to do i’d say your easiest option is to put a factory one back on for the recheck then go back to the R400 later on. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

As much as it isn't the ‘right’ thing to do i’d say your easiest option is to put a factory one back on for the recheck then go back to the R400 later on. 

None of us have ever had to do this 🤣

Edited by Bugle
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

I passed with my old decatted DP and R400 but it was definitely above the legal limit, I go to a local mechanic though as I would have been willing to bet VTNZ would fail it for noise. Most straight piped Subies seem quieter than it.  

I am

actually thinking about this one to do, its just a matter of where i can borrow it as mine came already with this. VTNZ passed this last year and now they decided to

fail it so

thats really got me confusing😅.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Technikhaus said:

Yeah our old 2011 STI we put the R400 and a PBMS Catless downpipe onto. 
Definitely was far too loud, but our local mechanic always passed it, VTNZ etc would fail it for certain.

so would

it be bad to get a 2nd opinion? and also would is there a law permitting you to

have another wof in a different place?

thanks

13 hours ago, Loren said:

just put a quiet exhaust on and get it rechecked. do whatever you have to after you have a wof. find a mechanic that doesn't hate you for future wofs. end of story.

thank you!