Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

EZ30 Fuel To Use (Low IAM?)

logan25

Hi all,

After a stint overseas I am back in New Zealand and picked up a 2007 3.0R NZ New 6 speed wagon a few months back.

Finally ordered a obd2 cable to look at its data, and found the LV data below. 

My main concern is the IAM value, also have the negative air flow values which I will try track down any leaks.

Just seeing if this is someone normal for the EZ30 engine here using NZ fuel, I am currently using 95, may have to consider 100, what do others use here? I used 100 in my previous GT, which got the IAM upto 1.0, do these EZ30 need it as well? Or is that IAM value normal for an untuned EZ30?

Thanks

(Edit: I looked around on here for more on the IAM, I see others had issue with EZ30s had IAMs down to 0 and 0.5, maybe 0.6 is acceptable??)

22D96C77-B9BE-4D1E-B783-92D53889D11E.png

Edited by logan25

Yeah minimum 95 octane. Gull is good price with 98 bio fuel and the Subys run great on that. Mobile 97.5 is the next cheapest. I actually run 95 octane because we don't have the other options where I live. Every couple of tanks of gas I drop in some octane booster. Works a treat.

Subys that have been run on 91 for too long have a distinctive tapping sound... Not good as detonation is occurring in many instances...

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

• Admin
On 29/04/2022 at 6:12 PM, logan25 said:

Hi all,

After a stint overseas I am back in New Zealand and picked up a 2007 3.0R NZ New 6 speed wagon a few months back.

Finally ordered a obd2 cable to look at its data, and found the LV data below. 

My main concern is the IAM value, also have the negative air flow values which I will try track down any leaks.

Just seeing if this is someone normal for the EZ30 engine here using NZ fuel, I am currently using 95, may have to consider 100, what do others use here? I used 100 in my previous GT, which got the IAM upto 1.0, do these EZ30 need it as well? Or is that IAM value normal for an untuned EZ30?

Thanks

(Edit: I looked around on here for more on the IAM, I see others had issue with EZ30s had IAMs down to 0 and 0.5, maybe 0.6 is acceptable??)

22D96C77-B9BE-4D1E-B783-92D53889D11E.png

What software is that?

• Admin

My old man ran a NZ-spec BPE Outback for years on 95. I ran my jap-spec BPE Legacy on it as well. Always ran well enough. If you're pushing it hard 98 is probably the way to go, but I always thought the NZ-spec-tune ones were happier on 95 than the jap ones, or maybe that was an urban myth?

19 hours ago, thewabbit1 said:

What software is that?

Romraider, looking at 'learning view'.

5 hours ago, boon said:

My old man ran a NZ-spec BPE Outback for years on 95. I ran my jap-spec BPE Legacy on it as well. Always ran well enough. If you're pushing it hard 98 is probably the way to go, but I always thought the NZ-spec-tune ones were happier on 95 than the jap ones, or maybe that was an urban myth?

Yeah I agree.

It runs absolutey fines, no issue what so ever, was more just somewhat alarmed to see the dropped IAM value.

My old man was running 91 in an older outback EZ30, somehow that is still surviving upto the high 200,000 kms and still going.

My one on the other hand will be getting far nicer treatment...

• Like 1

• Admin

Through leak check is the way to go if it still has the factory MAF box and not a pod filter one. Those figures are reasonably bad so it could be the infamous split in the intake plenum just before the throttle body 

1 minute ago, Andy_Mac said:

Through leak check is the way to go if it still has the factory MAF box and not a pod filter one. Those figures are reasonably bad so it could be the infamous split in the intake plenum just before the throttle body 

What are "good" figures? Might pull mine soon just as a health check

• Admin
13 hours ago, darkchief1 said:

What are "good" figures? Might pull mine soon just as a health check

All zero’s in those two tables means the tune and health of things is bang on but usually isn't attainable for a stock tune so a little bit of variation isn't terrible. 

The corrections in the top table can be controlled by the ecu as high as 15% so they're half way to being uncontrollable variations. 

Most of your bottom ones are positive which isn't super normal but isn't bad like negatives are which indicate there has been knock in that range consistent enough for the ecu to make a semi permanent reduction to the timing. 

• Like 1

On 3/05/2022 at 10:16 PM, Andy_Mac said:

You were correct, I did find a small split in the air duct prior to the throttle body. Used some glue and filler to get it air tight back up.

Somewhat of an improvement in the air flow figures, thats after an ECU reset and 1 hour of mixed driving and idling.

Still baffles me with the IAM,

B38FA1ED-D8A2-4749-8AC8-B7C9B4699293.png

5 hours ago, logan25 said:

You were correct, I did find a small split in the air duct prior to the throttle body. Used some glue and filler to get it air tight back up.

Somewhat of an improvement in the air flow figures, thats after an ECU reset and 1 hour of mixed driving and idling.

Still baffles me with the IAM,

B38FA1ED-D8A2-4749-8AC8-B7C9B4699293.png

Are you just reading these with a Tactrix and Learning View software? I could pull my tune today but was unable to view my Learning View which was annoying. Learning View apparently wouldn't find my Tactrix cable to use to read, yet ECUFlash worked fine to read the tune. I assume you don't need to bridge any pins anywhere for a diagnostic mode before you can read anything aye? I've got a 2008 JDM GT, unsure if it's diff to the ADM 3.0R that you have for reading things, I'd think not but I could be wrong.

16 minutes ago, darkchief1 said:

Are you just reading these with a Tactrix and Learning View software? I could pull my tune today but was unable to view my Learning View which was annoying. Learning View apparently wouldn't find my Tactrix cable to use to read, yet ECUFlash worked fine to read the tune. I assume you don't need to bridge any pins anywhere for a diagnostic mode before you can read anything aye? I've got a 2008 JDM GT, unsure if it's diff to the ADM 3.0R that you have for reading things, I'd think not but I could be wrong.

ADM and JDM reading should be the same process.

I use a cheap VAGCOM Ftdi cable which is just a cheap version of tactrix, but for logging only. I also used tactrix cable in the past and it works fine.

Use rom raider software, make sure you download both ECU definition files, and also Logger definition files, and specify them in Romraider. 

Open the logger section, and then select learning view, after 5 or so seconds should pop up a new window with all the data.

No need to bridge any pins, straight plug in and read data via romraider

• Admin
1 hour ago, darkchief1 said:

I think something went wrong with a windows driver that destroyed compatibility with the standalone LV program a few years ago as it seems to no longer work for almost everyone. 
The one in the top menu’s of romraider logger is the next best way

21 hours ago, logan25 said:

ADM and JDM reading should be the same process.

I use a cheap VAGCOM Ftdi cable which is just a cheap version of tactrix, but for logging only. I also used tactrix cable in the past and it works fine.

Use rom raider software, make sure you download both ECU definition files, and also Logger definition files, and specify them in Romraider. 

Open the logger section, and then select learning view, after 5 or so seconds should pop up a new window with all the data.

No need to bridge any pins, straight plug in and read data via romraider

Shot, thanks man! Will follow the RomRaider route since it's known to work. Only thought it was the older LV program as it looks super similar

21 hours ago, Andy_Mac said:

I think something went wrong with a windows driver that destroyed compatibility with the standalone LV program a few years ago as it seems to no longer work for almost everyone. 
The one in the top menu’s of romraider logger is the next best way

Cheers for confirming that Andy, glad to know I'm not missing a step here. I'll need to get my RomRaider functioning this weekend and give this another go

• 1 month later...
  • Admin
17 hours ago, Horizon chaser said:

So I should be running my o7 3.0 on 98+ ??? Sheesh it's already costly to run 

Yea definitely. In theory it’ll actually be cheaper as the ECU won’t have to retard the timing anywhere near as much so you’ll need less fuel for a given power requirement.

• Like 2

On 28/06/2022 at 10:12 AM, Andy_Mac said:

Yea definitely. In theory it’ll actually be cheaper as the ECU won’t have to retard the timing anywhere near as much so you’ll need less fuel for a given power requirement.

Ok, interesting. Next time I gas up I'll squirter some 100 Octane in it.  Keen to see if I notice any difference in response  ,economy etc 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Horizon chaser said:

Ok, interesting. Next time I gas up I'll squirter some 100 Octane in it.  Keen to see if I notice any difference in response  ,economy etc 

Do a ECU reset at the same time or it won’t help much as it will still have the current corrections stored. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...