Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Orbit Rims any good?

Hey guys

I've been in the market for some upgraded rims for a while now. I still have the ugly rims on my car since I bought it and just never got around to upgrading the rims.

Well I have narrowed down my choice to a nice set of 18x8 with an offset of +38 - 42. Anyway, I've been keeping an eye on some second hand rims but nothing has come up in the style and specs I want for months no so thinking of buying new from like Mag & turbo or something.

Anyway, I really like the Work Kiwami or Kudos Tokyo style with the small spokes and the nice concave look but the Works are way too pricey and the Kudos don't come in 8 width.

Anyway, I found these Orbit Senna's on Mag & Turbo that are 18x8 with a +38 offset and nice design.

Anyone got a review on orbit? Are they reps or genuine? (https://magandturbo.com/wheels/orbit-senna)

On 18/06/2022 at 3:20 PM, Loren said:

Can you elaborate more on reps. I get very confused by them as I am constantly seeing the word "rep" thrown around and no idea what is actually a rep etc.

To me, I thought rep meant replica so if we took for example the Volks, I thought a rep would be a company in CHina making wheels that look and are branded as Volk but are not as they are replica/knockoffs.

But I keep seeing comments like, "rotas are reps" or "Kudos" are reps and when I search these rims they seem both popular and also they are their own brand and don't seem to be mimicking other established rims.

So yeah I get a bit confused. I've seen it mentioned that a single wheel should cost a grand to be genuine but that seems insanely expensive as I check most wheel and tyre shops like Mag & Turbo etc etc the rims are usually around $1,000 - $2,000 for MOST sets of 4.

If I wanted absolutely genuine wheels, can you list me the brands?

And if I didn't want to fork out $4,000 for a set of rims, what would be some good brands?

I'm not planning on tracking the car it is purely a daily driver.

• General Member

If anything Daily driver is harder on wheels eh

ane yep Rep = Replica's

usually lower or poorer quality reproduction of the Quality item

most wheels are reps a the end of the day & not many 

"New" ideas

just look at Slot Mag's

1f9e51a87dde3bf45d9f27ab8bb6ee50.jpg

the pinnacle of Wheel design :D

"every" wheel manufacturer had a version of them

even Made in NZ ones

12 hours ago, Bugeye01WRX said:

Can you elaborate more on reps. I get very confused by them as I am constantly seeing the word "rep" thrown around and no idea what is actually a rep etc.

To me, I thought rep meant replica so if we took for example the Volks, I thought a rep would be a company in CHina making wheels that look and are branded as Volk but are not as they are replica/knockoffs.

But I keep seeing comments like, "rotas are reps" or "Kudos" are reps and when I search these rims they seem both popular and also they are their own brand and don't seem to be mimicking other established rims.

So yeah I get a bit confused. I've seen it mentioned that a single wheel should cost a grand to be genuine but that seems insanely expensive as I check most wheel and tyre shops like Mag & Turbo etc etc the rims are usually around $1,000 - $2,000 for MOST sets of 4.

If I wanted absolutely genuine wheels, can you list me the brands?

And if I didn't want to fork out $4,000 for a set of rims, what would be some good brands?

I'm not planning on tracking the car it is purely a daily driver.

Replicas could be cheap knock offs, i.e. a wheel labelled as a Volk but not a Volk. You won't find those in a legit NZ store, but you will def find cheap wheels that are copying the style of a better quality wheel.

I also think that if you are buying cheaper (made in china) wheels from Mag and Turbo, that the quality should be ok... but I don't know for sure. I tend to stick to Subaru wheels or cheap used good quality wheels...

I have had subaru wheels, compomotive wheels, speedline wheels, volk wheels and maybe some OZ racing wheels.

A good list of wheel brands is here. https://www.demon-tweeks.com/nz/performance/wheels-accessories/alloy-wheels/

Good wheels locally here https://www.allports.nz

Edited by Loren
  • Like 1

• Admin

So there's replicas which are just... extremely close stylistically, but branded as what they are. See Rota Grid vs Rays TE37. While completely unoriginal, at least they're honest about where they're made.

Then you have what I will call "fakes" where the rim actually claims to be something like Rays and has that brand cast into the rim etc, but is not made by them. The issue you have here is that if a manufacturer is prepared to blatantly infringe on a trademark, they probably don't give a damn about things like metallurgy and various safety standards, so the rim might just be a complete turd.

Replicas like Rota, where they aren't claiming to be the rim they're copying.... are largely fine from a mechanical/safety perspective, just people with genuine wheels will turn their nose up at you, and you're kinda perpetuating a s****y business practice by giving them your money.

EDIT: As long as you don't drive like an idiot, street driving is way easier on your rims than track.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, boon said:

EDIT: As long as you don't drive like an idiot, street driving is way easier on your rims than track.

highly debatable... how many wheels do 10,000 km per year on a race track? How many race tracks have kerbs and pot holes?

• Like 1

On 20/06/2022 at 2:23 PM, boon said:

So there's replicas which are just... extremely close stylistically, but branded as what they are. See Rota Grid vs Rays TE37. While completely unoriginal, at least they're honest about where they're made.

Then you have what I will call "fakes" where the rim actually claims to be something like Rays and has that brand cast into the rim etc, but is not made by them. The issue you have here is that if a manufacturer is prepared to blatantly infringe on a trademark, they probably don't give a damn about things like metallurgy and various safety standards, so the rim might just be a complete turd.

Replicas like Rota, where they aren't claiming to be the rim they're copying.... are largely fine from a mechanical/safety perspective, just people with genuine wheels will turn their nose up at you, and you're kinda perpetuating a s****y business practice by giving them your money.

Ahh gotcha so there is more Replicas and Fakes. That makes sense!

If you had a budget of around $1,000 - $1.500 for four rims, what would be the best to get in your opinion? Rotas or Enkei seem popular.

On 20/06/2022 at 12:19 PM, Loren said:

Replicas could be cheap knock offs, i.e. a wheel labelled as a Volk but not a Volk. You won't find those in a legit NZ store, but you will def find cheap wheels that are copying the style of a better quality wheel.

I also think that if you are buying cheaper (made in china) wheels from Mag and Turbo, that the quality should be ok... but I don't know for sure. I tend to stick to Subaru wheels or cheap used good quality wheels...

I have had subaru wheels, compomotive wheels, speedline wheels, volk wheels and maybe some OZ racing wheels.

A good list of wheel brands is here. https://www.demon-tweeks.com/nz/performance/wheels-accessories/alloy-wheels/

Good wheels locally here https://www.allports.nz

Thanks for those links!

So basically the top wheel brands like Volk, Work etc are extremely hard to get in NZ and you usually have to import from Japan etc?

So all the "wheel shops" like Mag & Turbo etc just have replica rims etc that are pretty average quality then?

It is tough because I try and keep an eye out for second hand rims Volks, rays, bbs etc and when they do come up they are either still very pricey or they are not the style I am wanting.

If I was gonna get a decent looking set that was ok quality wise for the moment just so my car stops looking like ass, and saving for new rims, what would you recommend? If say you were to spend $1,000 - $1,500 on a new set of 4 rims. Rotas and Enkei seem popular around that price. XXR seem to have really good reviews and really s****y reviews.

5 hours ago, Loren said:

I think the quality you get from mag and turbo is fine. Anything really nice and expensive will either get smashed against a curb within a week or be stolen within a month.

That is a good and sad point tbh.

https://www.amazon.com/Kics-WHPF3BL50-Kyokugen-Heptagon-Length/dp/B00EQ4NJZ4

These would stop a potential thief for a bit as they are heptagon (7 sided) and not many tools are :P.

I'll have another look at some of the wheel shops and see what else I like. I quite like the rota-gforce from mag & turbo

4 hours ago, boon said:

130 bucks to buy a nut you can take off with an oversized socket and a hammer? Probably not.

yeah but you have to do that to 20 nuts!  A bit pricey though... I bet you could find something better and cheaper.