Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

400kw build

syamonz

Hi,

my current sti block is currently blown stock. i need professional advice on this build. im trying to achieve a 400kw goal (350kw on pump gas and over on e85) here is a list of what i think i need but i might be wrong:

CP Pistons 92.5mm (0.5mm oversized)       

Manley Forged Connecting Rods 

EJ207 OEM STI belt kit 

Kelford cams EJ20 V2-199-B (264/260) ( wanna go bigger but unsure if possible without any head work done)

EJ20 Beehive Springs and titanium retainer set

ARP CA625+ head studs

RCM Head gaskets

ACL Race Bearing Main bearings 

ACL Race Bearing Rod bearings

Ferrea Intake valves 

Ferrea Exhaust valves

Closed Deck insert

12mm Oil Pump Subaru OEM 300

Genuine Thermostat

Genuine Water pump 

PBMS Baffled Sump

Killer B Oil pick up

for the camshafts, I was told not to use too big cams. Another question for the jdm v7 sti heads just trying to get clarification that they are big ported heads and can handle upto 500wkw without any port work done is it true?

B cams should be good for 600hp if you have big ports.

the bigger cams need the heads notched to clear the bigger lobes but that’s not much.

arp studs aren’t as good and RCM 12/14mm ones 

don’t forget to add $ for cooling clutch cert etc.

• Like 1

• Admin

-Skip the RCM head gaskets and go for something like the Athena fire ring ones. 
-Depending on what you’re using the car for a better sump like an IAG or KillerB wouldn’t be a bad idea since everything else seems to be reasonably big budget parts.

-The RCM custom timing belt tensioner is a good idea too as it uses the better original design but with an extra idler bearing to keep it from jumping. RCM sells timing kits that utilise it.

-Also, I could be wrong but unless your valves are toast currently you shouldn’t really need to bother with aftermarket ones for this power level. 350wkw on pump isn’t crazy these days. 

11 minutes ago, Andy_Mac said:

-Skip the RCM head gaskets and go for something like the Athena fire ring ones. 
-Depending on what you’re using the car for a better sump like an IAG or KillerB wouldn’t be a bad idea since everything else seems to be reasonably big budget parts.

-The RCM custom timing belt tensioner is a good idea too as it uses the better original design but with an extra idler bearing to keep it from jumping. RCM sells timing kits that utilise it.

-Also, I could be wrong but unless your valves are toast currently you shouldn’t really need to bother with aftermarket ones for this power level. 350wkw on pump isn’t crazy these days. 

I'm not sure whats wrong with my block yet, it needs to be pulled out. Most likely cracked ringland. Thanks, i will probably stick with the stock valves. Saves some money for other parts.

12 minutes ago, Loren said:

You can go bigger to bigger cams before you need to modify the heads... but you'll need shimless buckets most likely.

The turbo choice is going to be more important than the cam choice.

I thought big ported heads were needed for bigger cams. I wanted to go for 272 of 264 but thats what KC reccomended. Im currently running a GTX3076r first gen

1 hour ago, Gripless said:

B cams should be good for 600hp if you have big ports.

the bigger cams need the heads notched to clear the bigger lobes but that’s not much.

arp studs aren’t as good and RCM 12/14mm ones 

don’t forget to add $ for cooling clutch cert etc.

I think all i need now is a built motor since all the boltons are pretty much brand new. running xtreme 6puk ceramic clutch

8 hours ago, syamonz said:

I thought big ported heads were needed for bigger cams. I wanted to go for 272 of 264 but thats what KC reccomended. Im currently running a GTX3076r first gen

ok so looks like with the single avcs heads, those are biggest cams you can get without head modifications. I have the same cams and turbo but with the non-avcs heads.

They are a good choice for the turbo, because the turbo is a bit on the big side for the motor. I am making 330kw with E30 and 27 psi boost... I seriously doubt it would

make 400 kw with these cams... they are aimed at throttle response and not high rpm. What size turbine housing do you have?

And it's not bigger ports you need for the higher lift cams... you just need some metal removing to allow for the larger lobes to rotate without hitting things. I would

get it done if you really want 400kw. It's not a lot of work in the grand scheme of things and you could do it yourself with just a dremel. 

You should think about drivability before deciding on what cams... is it a track only car or something else?

Edited by Loren
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Loren said:

ok so looks like with the single avcs heads, those are biggest cams you can get without head modifications. I have the same cams and turbo but with the non-avcs heads.

They are a good choice for the turbo, because the turbo is a bit on the big side for the motor. I am making 330kw with E30 and 27 psi boost... I seriously doubt it would

make 400 kw with these cams... they are aimed at throttle response and not high rpm. What size turbine housing do you have?

And it's not bigger ports you need for the higher lift cams... you just need some metal removing to allow for the larger lobes to rotate without hitting things. I would

get it done if you really want 400kw. It's not a lot of work in the grand scheme of things and you could do it yourself with just a dremel. 

You should think about drivability before deciding on what cams... is it a track only car or something else?

Thanks for that I will probably get my heads machined to fit 272 cams. Its street/track but mostly street. I figured 350kw is like the most common number for streets nowadays lol. And also would you reccomend closed deck insert on a EJ207 or just look for  a Factory CBD ej20g

• Admin
8 minutes ago, syamonz said:

Thanks for that I will probably get my heads machined to fit 272 cams. Its street/track but mostly street. I figured 350kw is like the most common number for streets nowadays lol. And also would you reccomend closed deck insert on a EJ207 or just look for  a Factory CBD ej20g

Go for the PBMS closed deck for sure. I seriously regret not doing it whilst my block was apart. My 257 made 330wkw with the intercooler being the weak point but any more than that would be risky for the semi closed deck

1 hour ago, Andy_Mac said:

Go for the PBMS closed deck for sure. I seriously regret not doing it whilst my block was apart. My 257 made 330wkw with the intercooler being the weak point but any more than that would be risky for the semi closed deck

Im just deciding whether to get my currently block closed decked or just look for a factory closed decked ej20g and start from there.

• Admin
12 hours ago, syamonz said:

Im just deciding whether to get my currently block closed decked or just look for a factory closed decked ej20g and start from there.

Getting your one done is probably the easier way to go rather than trying to source some super old flogged out block that’s possibly been oversized already. Unless yours is toast obviously, then it may be better finding something newer like a GRB shortblock with the thicker walls in general

• Like 1