Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Why would this be blanked off?

3 hours ago, Loren said:

Is the EVAP canister still present and hooked up? Is it a turbo? 

Oh I see your other post... a twin turbo. 

As far as I can see everything looks like it should be where it should be it’s just this random hose which goes nowhere? It’s not AFAIK affecting anything major or it can’t be that bad for me to notice while driving but I just can’t let it hang like that it needs to be plugged in or my brain will just let it consume me 😂 

21 minutes ago, Snails_R_us said:

... it’s just this random hose which goes nowhere? It’s not AFAIK affecting anything major or it can’t be that bad for me to notice while driving but I just can’t let it hang like that it needs to be plugged in or my brain will just let it consume me 😂 

Well it could be the cause of your boost issues. 

2 hours ago, Loren said:

Well it could be the cause of your boost issues. 

Could very well be if wherever the hose is meant to go isn’t plugged up. Seems like a pretty important line to be plugged too. It’s not very long either so seems like around that area would be a line it goes to will have to have a good look and check it out 

42 minutes ago, Snails_R_us said:

Could very well be if wherever the hose is meant to go isn’t plugged up. Seems like a pretty important line to be plugged too. It’s not very long either so seems like around that area would be a line it goes to will have to have a good look and check it out 

Interesting.

this is the only neighbouring sensor I can find and it seems it’s lower nipple has snapped off to where a hose nearby may slip onto it. A hose that’s been blanked off perhaps 🤔 

Any ideas as to what this sensor may be?

C3160A35-F4B8-4DF3-9259-42C25070C104.jpeg

8BDD9670-6EDA-423C-A7D3-6828A350CDEF.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Loren said:

Pretty sure that is the EVAP solenoid. 

It’s not the boost solenoid is it? Looks similar in shape and has two nipples for the hoses to go into. Would explain my erratic boost on my secondary 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32967331339.html

Actually you might be right on the money mate 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203288871455?_ul=CL

what’s the purpose of this solenoid and can it have an impact on boost at all?

Edited by Snails_R_us

3 minutes ago, Loren said:

Not in that position I don't think... the boost control stuff is usually on the right strut tower... though I'm not familiar with turbo Legacys... Subaru likes to keep everything similar across cars of the same era.

Yup I didn’t think it was the boost solenoids as there is one under the drivers fender and another one inside the solenoid box. I wonder if the evap solenoid being half snapped like that has had anything to do with boost and or air fuel ratios cause ever since I’ve owned this car I’ve been chasing a persistent vacuum leak and I’m half wondering if this could be the culprit. 

58 minutes ago, Snails_R_us said:

Yup I didn’t think it was the boost solenoids as there is one under the drivers fender and another one inside the solenoid box. I wonder if the evap solenoid being half snapped like that has had anything to do with boost and or air fuel ratios cause ever since I’ve owned this car I’ve been chasing a persistent vacuum leak and I’m half wondering if this could be the culprit. 

Probably not. The evap valve should only open when the engine has vacuum and if the blocked line is going into the intake manifold... the evap valve opening won't do anything at all.

EvaporativeEmissionsTesting.jpg

Edited by Loren
  • Thanks 1

Choice. Gonna get it replaced regardless. Just one less broken thing on my car haha 

Do you think they are all interchangeable between models around 98-02? Looked at a forester one and they all seem to look similar bar the mounting bracket. It the hose ports are the same. I’d rather pull one from pick a part than pay the 170 bucks for a new one from the states!

Like I’m certain there is no TURBO ONLY purge valve that’s model specific one or anything like that but hey this is Subaru we are talking about….

• 2 months later...

On the later cars the diagrams show a filtered air source (usually in the turbo inlet) and then a vacuum source which you have now repaired. 

Both ends have a duty solenoid valve. Unless there are some non returns in the system you would have had a very slight air leak post MAF when the system was energised. Good find!

Edit: It is possible that they both are vaccum sources for both boost and off-boost conditions. 

Double Edit: Looks like there have been myriad revisions of the system over the years so disregard my ramblings

Edited by Boltonator
because I'm a dickhead