• Raised $0.00

Check Engine Light CEL Codes

kamineko

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so I have a problem.

Driving my car last night (2003 GTB, last of the old shape, RevD apparently) and the CEL comes on. This morning I managed to find the 2 green and 2 black plugs under the dash. Plugged in the black ones and turn on the ignition and the CEL just flashes constantly. From my reading, this means there is no fault with the engine. But that doesn't explain WHY the CEL came on in the first place, and because it's only flashing constantly I can't get a code to look up any potential problem.

Anyone got any idea at all? Would like to fix this myself before I fork out big bucks to take it to Subaru...

Trivium said:
Plugged in the black ones and turn on the ignition and the CEL just flashes constantly. From my reading, this means there is no fault with the engine. But that doesn't explain WHY the CEL came on in the first place, and because it's only flashing constantly I can't get a code to look up any potential problem.

Anyone got any idea at all? Would like to fix this myself before I fork out big bucks to take it to Subaru...

Just encountered a simlar problem. CEL flashes a consistent period but also makes the boost solenoid click and I can hear something in the engine bay fuse box :-\

RAYDEO said:

what physically happened to your car at the time of the light? is it running rough or anything?

Nothing I can tell. Car ran fine, boosted fine, no random noises etc. Only difference was the CEL on... That's why I'm baffled.

Turns out it's a knock sensor and AFR sensor both fucked. Called up my Mechanical Warranty company, only to be told as of yesterday they're in liquidation and I'm not going to be able to get a refund on my three year warranty, let alone claim. So FUUUU on both counts, fucking Suby is going to rape my wallet hard :(

• 2 months later...

Hey guys I have a 1994 legacy gt and the check engine light is on so I pluged in the back wires and turned the key on and found the code was 66 something to do with the twin turbo system I have heard, Now here is the problems with it you plant your foot and it feels like its got no power to about 4000 rpm once it has reached that it goes hard but then some times you plant your foot and I belive it goes into limp mode and it sorta dies then picks up again any ideas? will it hurt it if I keep driving it? its an auto btw cheers. Also got code 23 now

And also when you rev it the turbos sound kinda like power drills *high pitched grinding sound* not sure if its both turbos making that sound, also where does my coolant go to you pour it in the header tank and it fills up then dissapers ? ? ? but it doesn't have a leak :-\ iv'e only just got this car hahaha

• 3 months later...
 kamineko']

yep this is a big one, i'm going to take pics and make a detailed how-to that can be followed by anyone :)

in the mean time check out this page... http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~ccgrant/celcheck.htm

not finished yet sorry

[table]

[tr][td]CEL [/td][td]Item [/td][td]Diagnosis [/td][td]Fail-safe operation[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]11[/td][td]Crankshaft position sensor[/td][td]Irregular signal received[/td][td]-[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]12[/td][td]Starter switch[/td][td]Abnormal signal emitted from switch[/td][td]Turns starter sw signal to off[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]13[/td][td]Camshaft position sensor[/td][td]Irregular signal received[/td][td]-[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]21[/td][td]Engine coolant temp sensor[/td][td]Abnormal signal emitted[/td][td]ECU adopts a set temp. Radiator fans ON[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]22[/td][td]Knock Sensor[/td][td]Abnormal voltage emitted[/td][td]Sets regular fuel map, retards ignition by 5degrees[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]23[/td][td]Mass air flow sensor (AFM)[/td][td]Abnormal voltage emitted[/td][td]Fuel map set by revs and throttle[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]24[/td][td]Idle air control solenoid[/td][td]Valve inoperative[/td][td]adjusts idle via fuel set by revs, vehicle speed & throttle[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]31[/td][td]Idle switch (EJ20G)[/td][td]Abnormal voltage emitted[/td][td]ECU adopts a set throttle position value[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]32[/td][td]Oxygen sensor[/td][td]Inoperative[/td][td]-[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]33[/td][td]Vehicle speed sensor 2[/td][td]Abnormal voltage entered[/td][td]ECU adopts a set value[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]38[/td][td]Torque control signal (AT)[/td][td]Abnormal signal from TCM[/td][td]-[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]42[/td][td]Idle switch[/td][td]Abnormal signal from TPS Idle switch[/td][td]?[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]44[/td][td]Wastegate control solenoid[/td][td]Solenoid inoperative[/td][td]Fuelcut when WOT at heavy load[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]45[/td][td]Pressure sensor /

Pressure exchange solenoid[/td][td]Abnormal signal from pressure sensor or

pressure exchange solenoid inoperative[/td][td]Fuelcut when WOT at heavy load[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]51[/td][td]Neutral switch (MT)[/td][td]Abnormal signal from switch[/td][td]-[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]51[/td][td]Park/Neutral position switch (AT)[/td][td]Abnormal signal from inhibitor switch[/td][td]-[/td]

[/tr]

[tr][td]53[/td][td]Immobiliser (if equip)[/td][td]Faulty Immobiliser system[/td][td]-[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]61[/td][td]Inhalation valve solenoid[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]

[tr][td]62[/td][td]Exhaust valve solenoid (vacuum)[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]

[tr][td]63[/td][td]Boost pressure relief valve solenoid[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]

[tr][td]64[/td][td]Secondary waste gate solenoid[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]

[tr][td]65[/td][td]Differential pressure sensor[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]

[tr][td]66[/td][td]Sequential twin turbo system[/td][td]Somethings broke au![/td][td]runs like poos[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]67[/td][td]Exhaust valve solenoid (+ve pressure)[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]

[tr][td]68[/td][td]Exhaust valve duty solenoid[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]

[/table]

some other downloadable stuff, cheers log1call

[quote name='log1call said:

With reference to poster one's helpful information... There are two pdf documents here...

url]http://cid-4ca3c3459aaa7f7f.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public

about the trouble codes, what the criteria are for them to be set and to be cleared by the ecu to be specific. Good reading if you want to be sure to make a correct diagnosis. Perhaps they could be added to the data file.

When are you going to take pics how to check engine light codes? Me check engine light went on this morning

• Admin
 Aaendewy said:

When are you going to take pics how to check engine light codes? Me check engine light went on this morning

WHERE IN THE COUNTRY ARE YOU?

Follow the simple step by step, its easy. 2 black plugs under the steering column. then turn your ignition on, the CEL will flash at you.

• 3 weeks later...

Having trouble checking CEL codes on a 2005 legacy 2.0- does the green/black connection method apply to this model, or are we looking at a different kettle of fish here? There are semi-appropriate looking connectors in the kickpanel (drivers side) but they're not doing the job.

• 1 month later...

Finally got under my steering Collumn, my black connectors were connected the whole time. And when I plug in the green ones my fans actually work and my boost solinoid ticks. These don't happen when green is unplugged. But time to drive with the black ones disconnected for the first Time ever and see what happens

• 1 month later...

When I plugged the black plugs in, I got the constant flashing too. I stopped counting at 120...? I was checking because I don't seem to be getting any secondary boost- which I also need help with! PLEASE why?

bruce said:

When I plugged the black plugs in, I got the constant flashing too. I stopped counting at 120...? I was checking because I don't seem to be getting any secondary boost- which I also need help with! PLEASE why?

What model car is yours? You might have to take it in to get an OBD-2 scanner to bring up the codes as more than one maybe logged.

Timmah']

[quote name='bruce said:

/quote]

What model car is yours? You might have to take it in to get an OBD-2 scanner to bring up the codes as more than one maybe logged.

yeah, i took it in today, something to do with the central looking and something to do with the the ignition... both of these don't seem to actually have a problem. its a 97 gtb wagon, 5spd. he measured the boost and it was only making 2-3 psi. he rekons the turbo will be sweet though, probably just a hose needs replacing. he checked a few but ran out of time. hes pretty sure he will find it tomorrow. cheers.