Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What tyres for drag racing...slicks or semi slicks - Type R

Hi guys,

Just need some help here. Im thinking of taking my car down the 1/4 and just wanted to know if i should use slicks or semi slicks and what brand should i stick with? Vehicle is a 97 Type R.

Thanks

Im interested int this myself actually..

Am running launch control so my street tires dont get traction off the line lol...

Wanting to go for a few runs this summer

Was thiking of getting some semi slicks and use these both for the track and strip but havent really looked into it 2 much further...

But for a few runs at the strip you want to run lock...

Doubt itl make f all difference lol..

Its not as if drags are easy on your box anyway ....

Trust me done testing in mine...

Launch control at 4.5-5k both in lock and open mode..

Open mode the rear wheels light up and send you sideways.

Lock mode i still lost traction but all 4 and pulled out off the line alot quicker

Id say go with sticky street tires unless you hate your clutch and like breaking things. Should get you a reasonable time without big money

Or buy some R888's all round. At least then you can use them more often and get your moneys worth

• General Member
 JoKer said:

some slip at the front is (as I have heard) better for longevity of your cog-swapper

key words in bold - no way an expert opinion

theory based on too much grip means something has to give... and if the fronts are slipping/hunting for grip the diff's are working etc

lack of option for burnout's on track will also require grip from cold - not tires that require heat....

if your at the strip you may benefit from track preparation (they spay stuff to ad grip at some meets)

Mos street tires (under $200 ea.) only go gooey and offer less grip when melting (street drags etc)

SLICKS - will get you the best time

- are not street legal so you will need to trailer your car there

- if powered by a 5speed it will most definitly BREAK, puts a lot of strain on drivetrain

SEMI SLICKS - will get you a better time over street tyres but not as good as slicks

- some are street legal so you can drive your car there and back etc.

- if running a 5speed there is more chance it will break

STREET TYRES - probably the best for low powered cars as they wont bog on take off

- are street legal

- less strain on gearbox, clutch, and everything else in the drivetrain

DCCD - run with center diff LOCKED for best times

ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION - remove all camber for best times

TYRE PRESSURE - generally quite low often best to ask other people at the track as it depends on weather etc.

evlRA said:

SLICKS - will get you the best time

- are not street legal so you will need to trailer your car there

- if powered by a 5speed it will most definitly BREAK, puts a lot of strain on drivetrain

SEMI SLICKS - will get you a better time over street tyres but not as good as slicks

- some are street legal so you can drive your car there and back etc.

- if running a 5speed there is more chance it will break

STREET TYRES - probably the best for low powered cars as they wont bog on take off

- are street legal

- less strain on gearbox, clutch, and everything else in the drivetrain

DCCD - run with center diff LOCKED for best times

ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION - remove all camber for best times

TYRE PRESSURE - generally quite low often best to ask other people at the track as it depends on weather etc.

When you say run with the centre diff locked, do you mean one notch up or fully locked?

Most semi slicks wont provide much advantage on a road car if they are greater than 15" tyres.

Most semi slicks have stiff sidewalls that dont flex much (an advantage on the track - not so good at the drags) and therefore loose traction fairly easily in a straight line when cold and the larger the wheel size, the thinner the sidewall and therefore the stiffer too.

Generally semi slicks dont get enough heat in them to provide a big grip advantage over road tyres, unless you can get a bit of wheelspin (and therefore heat) before you launch - and you may struggle to do that in 4WD. For example tyres like R888s are a hard compound semi slick and will last well at the track - but not so useful at the drags due to not getting hot straight away.

If you want to run semi's try a Dunlop 03G in soft, however prepare to get raped on the price. Alternatively there is a few other brands that offer a soft compound - ie Yokohama A048 and Bridgestone RE55S. Whether you can get them easily in NZ is another matter.

The softer the compound, the more likely you are to get grip after heating the tyres with a skid. And the more likely you are to add to the statistics for gearbox failures... I would suggest stick with road tyres if its your first time at the drags and try different launchs (ie the amount of revs you use) and find what works for you. Then if you arent going quick enough due to wheelspin, try some semi slicks.

Slicks should be left for 2WDs or seriously modified cars that can handle the drivetrain damage and are able to do a proper skid to actually heat them up....

Guest itsgotgo

Ten years ago i would have said get some,mickey t,s,or hoosier quick times,et streets.

But now they are getting farkin exspensive ;)

My advice is if you want to "HOOK" the mofo up,is buy a small bottle of "track bite" and spray it on in a mist.

About 3 cars out from the start,make it look like you are putting some "tyre shine" on ;D

Track bite goes like chewing gum,"lightly applied" it will give you the hook up from hell and be far cheaper than tyres ;)