Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Tyre Choice Thread

I'm running 215/45/17 Dunlop SP SportMaxx's on my BG.

Nothing to complain about - stick enough in the wet, never get understeer, tyres have done well so far (40km's +) and still have a good 4 or so mm's left to go (rotated every 20km's to avoid camber wear)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firenza STO8 - Great tyre on dry roads - nice a quiet on the road but even better in the wet sticks to the road like shit to a blanket. Cheap tyre I picked mine up for $223.00 each so they're great for country/town driving. 8)

zarnah said:

I'm running toyo proxes 205/35/18's all round and im pretty impressed with the grip they offer (even in my RWD leggy) do notice after a hard run they get real soft and sticky, wear down pretty damn quick though, even the fronts

Proxes 4's have a tread wear index of 300...if you wear them down that quick, i'd hate to see how long an R888 lasted.

Mite have something 2 do with being rwd and coilovers-bit of camber. but i find mine are wearing pretty fast. mind you the last set of tyres i had wese some cheapies that were hard as hell, like drivng on solid plastic no wear but also no grip at all!

I've got Bridgestone Playz PZ-1 on my car, and I hate them. Good in the dry, but just completely let go in the wet. Car understeers madly while off boost, so no confidence to use any of the car's handling in the wet, you can feel the front end just go all loose and soggy. Thank goodness they don't sell them in NZ.

Anyone tried the Falken Azenis RT-615?

Well, just got a new set of RE001s today. Went for a bit of blat, seemed pretty good to me. Need to try them hot, and in the wet before I can pass judgement. But if they are anything like the RE050As we have on the Legacy, I am pretty confident they'll be fine. Firestone in Petone stung me $215 a corner. Time to stop spending money on the car for a while. Err.. except for an O2 sensor ...

GC8E2DD said:

Well, just got a new set of RE001s today. Went for a bit of blat, seemed pretty good to me. Need to try them hot, and in the wet before I can pass judgement. But if they are anything like the RE050As we have on the Legacy, I am pretty confident they'll be fine. Firestone in Petone stung me $215 a corner. Time to stop spending money on the car for a while. Err.. except for an O2 sensor ...

hehe you should have talked to the nice people at Tony's. They are good freinds of CS here in wellington

Gah just had trouble trying to get a WOF with my R888's. track tyres, not road tyres he said. mech called VTNZ who said the same thing.

pretty sure the DOT rating +tread is all thats required to be legal on our roads. he's getting back to me because i won't budge..

i need to find out what tyres i had on my last set of rims, best tyres ive had, great in dry, oversteer in wet when wanted lol, saw no wear from them at all

they were 215/45/17

my new tyres are "different". only way i can put it, when i push it hard rounds corner etc feel rather weird

also in wet they understeer alot

they are 235/45/18

kamineko said:

Gah just had trouble trying to get a WOF with my R888's. track tyres, not road tyres he said. mech called VTNZ who said the same thing.

pretty sure the DOT rating +tread is all thats required to be legal on our roads. he's getting back to me because i won't budge..

The guy's a numbnuts.

You are right, the R888 is a road-legal (DOT status) track tyre.

Guest boostcut

does it say not legal for highway use on them????? if not theyre fine.... go online and check the virm for yourself, print it off and show him up

kamineko said:

thanks for the replies

just got my car back with a new WOF sticker.

fair enough i guess, he listened to what i was saying but wanted 'proof'

i dunno who he called but i guess he learned something new today :D

lol have you not changed these back over Nick?

Def road legal.. but might be a bit hairy on a wet day down south! or the ice

• 2 weeks later...

i got bridgestone re001s on my gtb and they are the best tyre that ive ever had,hang on good in the wet and extremely well when they are hot in the dry,i'll be putting these back on again when they are stuffed.

toyo proxes 4 are also a good tyr but are getting up there in price now and same with nankang ns2

robm said:

i got bridgestone re001s on my gtb and they are the best tyre that ive ever had,hang on good in the wet and extremely well when they are hot in the dry,i'll be putting these back on again when they are stuffed.

toyo proxes 4 are also a good tyr but are getting up there in price now and same with nankang ns2

Adrenalin's are all good, and Toyo T1R's are a pretty good tyre; Proxes 4's, while still a good tyre are no match for adrenalins but NANKANG NS2's are plain RUBBISH.

• 1 month later...

How do the likes of the RE001 go for puncture resistance?

I've got Eagle F1 GSD3's (215/45-17) on the GTB which I'm quite happy with for wet and dry handling, but I also spend a fair bit of time on gravel and have just had my second puncture in the 6 months I've had it - sidewall cuts on gravel seem to be the main issue.

Previously had a few non-turbo Subs with higher profile tyres and never had a problem with punctures on those, haven't had any with 195/55-15 on the MX5 either.

Any other tyre suggestions for me? I'd prefer something with a good performance level but willing to compromise grip a bit if it saves me having to drive home on the space saver and buy new tyres.

I got a set of 215/45R17 RE001's fitted and balanced (albeit a lazy as balancing job) about 3 weeks ago for $750 inc GST ($187 per corner).

Damn good price, i'm very impressed so far, but need an alignment (new springs in) and some petrol before i can really see how good they are. First impressions are great though... Jumping from NS2's, to these... well... ;D

That is a very good price! I only need 2 but have been quoted $220/corner for the RE001 and $255/corner for the RE050A by the local Firestone place.

I've also had uniroyal rainsport 2 suggested on another forum, any idea who sells those in NZ and what they cost?