Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Tyre Choice Thread

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T1R I rate on a heavier car like a Subaru. Pretty good value for money although not that long lasting.

Im currently using Yokohama A Drive R1 and it doesnt have the grip of the T1R - but also not the price tag and very progressive and easy to control when you run out of grip :) This is in 215/45/17 on my BG5.

Nankang NS2 is also a very good value for money tyre - again not the grip and price of the T1R, but a good in between priced tyre.

Federal 535 is another tyre that fits the same category. However I only used it on a lighter car so may not be as good on a Subaru?

Bridgestone MY01 is one I would suggest avoiding - understeer city on my BC5.

I'm running toyo proxes 205/35/18's all round and im pretty impressed with the grip they offer (even in my RWD leggy) do notice after a hard run they get real soft and sticky, wear down pretty damn quick though, even the fronts

BC5RA said:

Bridgestone RE-01R you don't get them here.

Damn near the best roadtyre BS make.

Only way to get them here is to pinch them off a JUC.

;)

Toyo T1R best budget performance roadtyre.

BS RE001 better but a lot more bucks.

New Goodyear F1 Asymmetrical is supposed to be here soon.

Haven't seen any Hankook RS2's in a coon's age.

Toyo have a hot new R1R extreme performance roadtyre available in Oz but no sign of it here.

:(

IIRC someone had asked Toyo NZ, did they get a reply ???

they are here already..

every dealer i have talked to of late has warned to stay away as they are far to new and nothing is known about them..

Its not a flash looking tyre - Ive seen it.

Performance is anyones guess, apparently it is supposed to be quiet though

boostcut said:

dunlop direzza dz101? seem to be really sticky on the track. but slippery on damp road??

Mine came with the direzza's on it from Japan.

I've found them to be ok drip wise wet and dry but they're noisy and they don't give any warning that they're starting to slip (I prefer a little noise when my tyres are reaching their limits).

Soooo, I'm actually considering a tyre change before the direzza's are worn out.

funkytown said:

they are here already..

every dealer i have talked to of late has warned to stay away as they are far to new and nothing is known about them..

Its not a flash looking tyre - Ive seen it.

Performance is anyones guess, apparently it is supposed to be quiet though

Rated shit hot by EVO in Europe and Motor across the pond.

Can't be any worse than the over-rated F1 GS-D3

Munkvy said:

T1R I rate on a heavier car like a Subaru. Pretty good value for money although not that long lasting.

Im currently using Yokohama A Drive R1 and it doesnt have the grip of the T1R - but also not the price tag and very progressive and easy to control when you run out of grip :) This is in 215/45/17 on my BG5.

Nankang NS2 is also a very good value for money tyre - again not the grip and price of the T1R, but a good in between priced tyre.

Federal 535 is another tyre that fits the same category. However I only used it on a lighter car so may not be as good on a Subaru?

Bridgestone MY01 is one I would suggest avoiding - understeer city on my BC5.

I used a set of NS2's when I went on a roadtrip over the summer. I've never driven on a more unpredictable tyre on the RS. Even the old 15's that I originally used had less sidewall flex than those things. The first bit of twisty road that I came across made me think that I either had a flat tyre or a broken lateral link. I wouldn't even recommend them for someone who is on a really low budget.

I find the T1-R's about the same as the GS-D3's just that the GS-D3's seem to last longer.

NS1 or NS2? The NS1 is shite, but the NS2 is a hell of alot better. And what size did you have them in?

I used them on a Skyline in 205/50/15 and they were reasonable. As I said - a budget tyre, so you cant expect everything from them - but they hung on suprisingly well.

NS2 in 215/45/17

They would still kind of hang on for a while but the sidewalls were sloppy as. Once they got warm you could push the car sideways by a couple of inches just on the sidewalls flexing. I'd say that it could have been emphasied by the fact that my suspension is rock hard and all bushes are noltec so there's no "give" anywhere else.

Koom said:

NS2 in 215/45/17

They would still kind of hang on for a while but the sidewalls were sloppy as. Once they got warm you could push the car sideways by a couple of inches just on the sidewalls flexing. I'd say that it could have been emphasied by the fact that my suspension is rock hard and all bushes are noltec so there's no "give" anywhere else.

Fair call. I have to say it was quite different in the Skyline, it had stock suspension - so the driving style is rather different, you rely on tyre grip and hope that its not gonna swap ends :D Whereas it sounds like your cars more like mine - suspension shows up any deficiency in the rest of the setup :)

I dont like T1R's because they go off really quickly and i they were all worn out really quickly, which i dont really have the pocket for.

I have got way more km's and they hold the road for longer out of my set of Falkin F452's.

If i was looking at T1R's i would definitly go past them and get the F452's

Anyone know about Kumho Ecstas 712's? or Neuton NT5000's? I am on a budget and have been told that these are good performance tyres for the money... ::)

Old GSD3 fan here. Great in rain. good wear, good progressive tyre, not the best in the dry but great value IMHO. Hated DZ 101 on STi hatch..rubbish in the wet.

Tyre tests usually only reveal minor differences between several tyres in absolute perfomance testing but sometimes its the way a trye lets go or performs in one area that endears it to a particular driver. I like wet traction and progressive slip with <moderate sidewall flex.

Have a mate just bought a set of F1 Asymmetricals in 245/40ZR18 front & 275/35ZR18 rear for a 161 series Aristo(MY2000). His price was cost + 10% & still very painfull!

I've had some good times recently on some JDM Yokohama rubber...:)

thejetnz said:

Anyone know about Kumho Ecstas 712's? or Neuton NT5000's? I am on a budget and have been told that these are good performance tyres for the money... ::)

I have the Kumho 712's in 17/45/215 and they seem fairly good for the price (I got all 4 for under $150 each) I havn't taken on the track but round town and driving the length of the country I have found them sweet, great in the dry and in the wet, for the price I am happy as....