• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

STI Spec C Type RA V8

Valkyrie

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, there were two in the V8 model, STI Spec C and STI Spec C Type RA.

Similar to my old one, except comes with ABS, Power windows (all round), funnily enough, the plain Spec c in V8 comes with power windows in the front only (wind ups in the back).

Also has Black interior and gets Exclusive 4 steps damping force/Exclusive low down springs with the std inverted type struts.

Much heavier though (about 300kg more), and comes with airbags, but does get light weight carpet...still, not a true light weight model...

Still a nice car, except if BLING BLING are selling it, it's probably been raped and stacked...

DPI said:

Yeah, there were two in the V8 model, STI Spec C and STI Spec C Type RA.

Similar to my old one, except comes with ABS, Power windows (all round), funnily enough, the plain Spec c in V8 comes with power windows in the front only (wind ups in the back).

Also has Black interior and gets Exclusive 4 steps damping force/Exclusive low down springs with the std inverted type struts.

Much heavier though (about 300kg more), and comes with airbags, but does get light weight carpet...still, not a true light weight model...

Still a nice car, except if BLING BLING are selling it, it's probably been raped and stacked...

Don't they do 2 types of Spec-C's? The proper one that gets stripped out and used in competition, with has zero options and comes on skinny steel wheels, and the other one thats basically a normal STI with extra bits on it.

Yes and No, it's a bit more involved than that.

For V7 (last and only Spec C to be used for WRC), they made a [sOFT] version with ABS/Brembo (NO DCCD), electric windows and (i think) airbag wheel. This came with 17 inch wheels (16's wouldn't fit over the brembo's) and had a small Spec C sticker on the boot.

While it was approx 70-80kg lighter than the STI RA (of the same year), it wasn't a true stripped out light weight model.

The[sTI Type RA Spec C] WRC homologation model (my old one) was the car used for WRC (obviously it was modified a bit) and came with thin glass, thin skin body panels, wind ups, small brakes, 16 inch wheels, no ABS, DCCD, and was another 90kg lighter than the plain Spec C.

Moving on to V8 and there were a few changes; while the Spec C and Spec C RA were offered, they were not used for WRC homologation.

Both get electric windows (although the plain Spec C had wind up rears), ABS, Brembo's and 17 inch wheels for the Spec C RA and 16 inch with small brakes on the Plain Spec C. Only the STI got BBS wheels as an option.

Airbags were fitted and Black interior was fitted to both Spec c Models.

Just to confuse things, there were also some Spec C RA's fitted with plain impreza seats and door trims (with wind up windows), no body kit or boot spoiler.

And even more confusing, some of these had small brakes and some had Brembos.

The result is, that subsequent Spec C models (after the V7) were less powerful and much heavier.

As this was true across the range though, they still held a respectable advantage over their model year STI.

My Spec C is the soft one, and it doesn't have electric windows, and it doesn't have airbags. It still has the lightweight glass and panels, as the boot lid in mine is definately aluminium (weighs less than the bonnet!) and the glass is presumedly thinner (it's different to the stuff on normal STi). The only real difference between the hardcore and softcore V7 Spec C was 17"/Brembo/ABS vs 16"/4 pots/DCCD.

On the DCCD note, I was going to post this in the ONROAD thread where the point of the clunky LSD in my Spec C was, which DPI said it is what it is, and that's what it is, but since this is a Spec C thread I'll post it here instead.

I had the oil changed in the LSD today to Cusco oil... and MY GOD has it made a difference!! I'm really really pleased with it now. It was almost embarrasing to drive with how it was before. People always looking at you wondering wtf that noise was, for a car that you've just bought, how could you have bought it when it's doing that! Now it's almost all but gone.

It is still there a bit at very low speeds like going around a car park at like less then 5km's / hour, but Brad, if you remember what it was like before, and you were in it again, you'd swear it was a different car haha!

I'm glad I didn't listen to DPI and tried it anyway :P

And thanks to 41 for supplying it :D

I have one tin of the oil which I purchased but haven't used. If anybody sees this and wants it, they can purchase it off me. This is if I can't return the unused product back to 41.

Simon C said:

My Spec C is the soft one, and it doesn't have electric windows, and it doesn't have airbags. It still has the lightweight glass and panels, as the boot lid in mine is definately aluminium (weighs less than the bonnet!) and the glass is presumedly thinner (it's different to the stuff on normal STi). The only real difference between the hardcore and softcore V7 Spec C was 17"/Brembo/ABS vs 16"/4 pots/DCCD.

Bit more than that, unless the extra weight of brembos and elec motors make up 90kg...

Your's must have been optioned like that...does yours have a/c?

RA version isn't suposed to but my old one was optioned with it.

Problem with Subaru models is, there is no real fixed set of specs as there were too many option boxes.

The V8 Spec C that a customer was selling was another weird one.

Should have had elec wind in front but had wind ups all round and had low spec N/A impreza door cards and seats (factory), also had 4 pots, not brembos.

Never heard of that option before...

DPI said:

The V8 Spec C that a customer was selling was another weird one.

Should have had elec wind in front but had wind ups all round and had low spec N/A impreza door cards and seats (factory), also had 4 pots, not brembos.

Never heard of that option before...

That's the 16" model from factory, comes like that ready to strip out and turn into rally cars....

DPI, you sure you're not getting the 17" Type RA Spec C and the regular Type RA mixed up? The Type RA was 90kg heavier than Spec C, lacked the lightweight body panels, etc. Mine was optioned with AC, yes. But I don't see how Subaru would have an options list that would include an aluminium boot lid.

I think you'll find that the 'RA' isn't much lighter than a normal STI in V7. As the article i read specifically said that the 'Spec c' was lighter than an RA, and the 'RA Spec C' was lighter again (by approx 80kg).

I weighed mine on a weigh bridge and got 1401kg (with a totally full tank and 60kg's of luggage in the boot). Making it damn near the quoted dry weight of 1290kg.

As to the options, what i meant was that in STD spec:

the RA SPEC C has 4 pots, no ABS, DCCD, 16 inch wheels and wind up windows.

the SPEC C has Brembo, ABS, no DCCD, 17 inch wheels, elec windows, air con and boot spoiler.

However, mine was optioned with air con and boot spoiler; i know of one in wellington (Spec c) that had brembos, ABS, no DCCD, no aircon, no spoiler and wind up windows.

And, there is another 'Spec C' for sale in Devonport that has all Spec c items, but wind ups.

I also know of two Spec C's with electric windows, one had rear spoiler, one didn't.

Also, some come with full std intake, where as the one i had had the intake deleted and the hole in the guard covered in heat tape, just sucked straight from the guard into the filter box.

I think the 'Spec c' came with boot interior too, where as the RA Spec C didn't.

So, it was a bit hit and miss.

As to overall weight, i don't know how much more the brembos and electric window motors weigh over the manual regulators and 4 pots, can't be much.

By the way, the boot lid isn't aluminium, it's just half thickness steel, like the roof.

Does yours have the deleted front bumper iron, boot relese or boot light?

Does it have the front horseshoe crossmember that bolts to the lower arms and runs under the radiator?