Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

How to: Replace your alternator and power steering belt

ryanstev

Tonight I tried to change my alternator and power steering belt, which unfortunately failed because Repco gave me the wrong sized belt. GRRR.

I decided to make a quick 'how to' though, as I seem to remember an old 'how to' on the old site which has been lost.

You will need:

An EJ20TT engine.

10mm socket

12mm socket

A 5PK887 belt - Repco gave me an 875 which is just slightly too small. My belt actually died the other day and I had to temporarily use a 5PK900, which is too big. The belt will work, but there is alot of screeching as it slips.

Winger Subaru sold me the 5PK887 for $49.50.

Step 1: Remove the plastic cover.

Step 2: Remove bolt #1

Step 3: Loosen bolt #2

Step 4: The black metal bracing, #3, can now be removed. In the next picture you'll see I simply rotated this out of the way, it was only afterward that I saw that bolt #2 fits through a notch in this bar, rather than an actual hole.

alternator1.jpg

Step 5: Loosen bolt #4

Step 6: Loosen bolt #5 all the way, as you loosen this bolt your alternator will lower. If it doesn't, press down on the alternator, #6.

alternator2.jpg

You will now have your alternator lowered all the way, the drive belt will be loose and you can simply remove it and fit the replacement. Repeat the previous steps in reverse order.

Yay, you're done. Such an easy job.

Updated the original post.

I returned the 5PK875, they didn't have an 880 in stock, so I decided to go to Winger next door. I spent an extra $16, which is a 50% mark up, but it's only a belt so it's not that much. Slips on perfectly. I thought it would be a really tight fit, but the extra 2mm made a huge difference.

ryanstev said:

I returned the 5PK875, they didn't have an 880 in stock, so I decided to go to Winger next door. I spent an extra $16, which is a 50% mark up, but it's only a belt so it's not that much. Slips on perfectly. I thought it would be a really tight fit, but the extra 2mm made a huge difference.

It usually does

heheheeheh

ryanstev said:

Wairau Road in glenfield right?

That winger is real good, when i blew my coil pack they charged me cost price on the parts and only made profit on the labour

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey i need to replace this belt on my WRX, is it as easy as it seems, i really don't want to screw it up, it's whining and squealing just running the car, let alone driving/bosting?..

ryanstev said:

Tonight I tried to change my alternator and power steering belt, which unfortunately failed because Repco gave me the wrong sized belt. GRRR.

I decided to make a quick 'how to' though, as I seem to remember an old 'how to' on the old site which has been lost.

You will need:

An EJ20TT engine.

10mm socket

12mm socket

A 5PK887 belt - Repco gave me an 875 which is just slightly too small. My belt actually died the other day and I had to temporarily use a 5PK900, which is too big. The belt will work, but there is alot of screeching as it slips.

Winger Subaru sold me the 5PK887 for $49.50.

Step 1: Remove the plastic cover.

Step 2: Remove bolt #1

Step 3: Loosen bolt #2

Step 4: The black metal bracing, #3, can now be removed. In the next picture you'll see I simply rotated this out of the way, it was only afterward that I saw that bolt #2 fits through a notch in this bar, rather than an actual hole.

alternator1.jpg

Step 5: Loosen bolt #4

Step 6: Loosen bolt #5 all the way, as you loosen this bolt your alternator will lower. If it doesn't, press down on the alternator, #6.

alternator2.jpg

You will now have your alternator lowered all the way, the drive belt will be loose and you can simply remove it and fit the replacement. Repeat the previous steps in reverse order.

Yay, you're done. Such an easy job.

Sweet, so all i need is the 5pk877 for EJ20 WRX?..and replacing the belt will be a breeze..

Will this fix my squealing issue, is it a common sound when these belts are on their last legs?..

Sweet man, i'll have a stab at that in the next few nights, i presume i can pick up a belt from repco or something and they'll know what one should suit the car..

Wrxn said:

Sweet, so all i need is the 5pk877 for EJ20 WRX?..and replacing the belt will be a breeze..

Will this fix my squealing issue, is it a common sound when these belts are on their last legs?..

should fix your squealing yea, had to replace my legacy one as someone had put a belt on that was too long and it made a horrible noise. 5pk877 is the genuine belt, but i was given a 5pk880 by my supplier (partmaster) and it fits perfect and half the price of genuine, much shorter and you will have trouble getting it on.

i wouldnt bother with a genuine one, $49.95 seems a bit excessive for a belt but then again im used to paying trade prices ;)

• 2 months later...