Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

The Single Turbo Conversion Thread 2.0

ReubenH

• 1 month later...

Hi all, Im new to this forum. Just finished the mechanical side of the single turbo conversion yesterday and will be working on repinning the wiring tomoro. Just a quik question directed at Koom;

I have an ej20H and have got a z4 4 plug ecu ( I will be upgrading to a V3/4 sti ecu soon once I get some yellows and the ecu for a good price). I have had a look though the pinouts of both ecu's (Z4 and 20H) and I notice its not 100% compatable, you were mentioning that you need to add some wires in the engine to actually make it run. What pinouts do they relate to? any reaply would be great thanks.

The wiring on the plugs between the 4-plug and the 3-plug is only about 10% compatible. You have to re-pin the other 90%.

Any extra wires that are required will be from the 3-plug diagram that corresponds with the 3-plug ECU that you want to run. Can't tell you off the top of my head which wires need to be run but you can utilise wires that are no longer needed once running a 3-plug ECU (i.e. there's a bunch of wires that run to the black box which can be used).

OK so re-reading are you doing a 4-plug TT to 4-plug WRX ECU? You still need to re-pin about 80%+ of the wires and you really don't improve much in the way of power or drivability. And then if you upgrade to a V3/4 STI later you end up having to re-pin everything all again.

Thanks, yeah the outlay of yellow injectors, orange AFM, wasted spark coil pack, leads and the ecu is a touch too much out of my budget at the moment (poor student). I really just want to get it going and am not too concerned about performance or time taken to do repinning at present.

Iv got the Z4 and 20H pinouts side by side and there are only 4 maybe 5 pins that stump me.

Z4 pin A13: injector 12v feed vs 20H A13: ecu power source. there is no corrosponding 12v feed to put in there.

20H pins: C7 RxD.... recieve what data? D16 TxD...transmit data? C8 000000000#2 ???? and also the ingnition numbering on Z4: 1,2,4,5? not 1,2,3,4

Dodgy_GT']

Z4 pin A13: injector 12v feed vs 20H A13: ecu power source. there is no corrosponding 12v feed to put in there.

I just left that plug as it is. It's just named differently between the two ECU's but it is still part of the 12v network that feeds the ECU and the injectors as a common 12v source.

20H pins: C7 RxD.... recieve what data? D16 TxD...transmit data? C8 000000000#2 ????

C7 I left as is.

D16 I put the wire from D20 to it (power steer switch) and the wire from D16 on the 7C goes to C8 on the Z4.

[quote name='Dodgy_GT said:

and also the ingnition numbering on Z4: 1,2,4,5? not 1,2,3,4

haha I'd never noticed that.

Think I made a typo and should be 1,2,3,4 (unless you're sticking an Audi motor in it ;) )

I did have issues with the firing order when I got it running and remember having to switch wires around on the ignitor but not sure if I made a note of what I did. By that stage I wanted the damn thing to run and stopped writing down notes :-

Had a bit of a read through my notes on this and I have a feeling the 1,2,4,5 relates to the corresponding plugs on the ignitor as #3 on ignitor is ground. I originally had them numbered 1,2,4,3 which didn't work ;D Trial and error on that bit at the time.

slystiguy said:

mad respectica (PULLS HAND SIGN THAT MAKES NO SENSE)

1-1607540-1289-t.jpg

Also, Dodgy_GT, check all the 12v feeds to the WRX ECU are actually receiving 12v with the key on (once you get to that point). The trick is that the WRX has a diode in the wiring near the ignition barrel that links two of the 12v wires together. The BD5a/BG5a wiring loom doesn't have this link (I guess the ECU doesn't use that 12v input) and so when you go to start it, the damn thing won't start, then after a day of checking wires, you realise that one of the yellow/red wires isn't feeding 12v in cause its a bastard child.

This is one thing I found when rushing through near the end so never noted which of the 12v feeds wasn't getting power. Easy to find with a multimeter or even a test light and the key turned on.

Koom If I get It going under your advice im gonna deff owe you a beer or dozen :D want be at a pub in town though.... >:(

so hard wire a 12v feed straight to the pin avoiding the ignition will do the trick haha, fire risk much hmm

Dodgy_GT']

Koom If I get It going under your advice im gonna deff owe you a beer or dozen :D want be at a pub in town though.... >:(

Yeah we're trying to figure where the best place for St Patrick's day is going to be? O'Shea's is the only Irish pub outside the cordon that I know of. (Not stepping foot in the Craic in Riccarton as it looks like it'll fall over in a 3.0 aftershock).

[quote name='Dodgy_GT said:

so hard wire a 12v feed straight to the pin avoiding the ignition will do the trick haha, fire risk much hmm

I have seen them hardwired by a couple of people. I used a diode from a WRX loom. Not sure what the point of it was really? As it just links a couple of the yellow (with red trace) power wires that go all thorugh the loom.

gazzy2000']

[quote name='mattapo said:

gazzy2000 has recently done this

/quote]

Isn't his a BH5? or has he done a BG5a aswell? I can never keep up with the amount of projects that some people do around here.

yip, done both, did my BH first then the BG5a

How did you reckon the BG5a went after the swap? I didn't get to drive the one I did much but at the time I was a little disappointed with it. Just felt gutless but I had been doing alot of driving in the RS at the time. Thats why I've since been an advocate for just stepping up to V3 STI stuff instead.

Koom']

[quote name='mattapo said:

gazzy2000 has recently done this

/quote]

Isn't his a BH5? or has he done a BG5a aswell? I can never keep up with the amount of projects that some people do around here.

yip, done both, did my BH first then the BG5a

How did you reckon the BG5a went after the swap? I didn't get to drive the one I did much but at the time I was a little disappointed with it. Just felt gutless but I had been doing alot of driving in the RS at the time. Thats why I've since been an advocate for just stepping up to V3 STI stuff instead.

Yea, na all the kit i fitted was STI with the 1s ECU (yellows, orange etc), didnt use stock WRX ECU with greys etc, if thats what you mean?

But yes, it was a 4 plug TT to a 3 plug WRX conversion.

Pulls hard as.

• 2 weeks later...

cool so im back from my week long field trip and got back to work on my car, finished all the wiring today (not finished but all the pins have been relocated to what is think is their location)...as expected it didn't start so now its a case of (I think?) finding the 12v feed that is not receiving 12v. any sugestions of where to look first?